Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
12 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch sycamore fruit bowl/platter. (Read 873 times)

Andy Mauger

Initiate Vortex rider..

Winchester, United Kingdom
Winchester
United Kingdom

12 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch sycamore fruit bowl/platter.
Aug 26th, 2009 at 11:32am

Hi all.

I have hit a bit of a wall. For the life of me, I have no idea how to figure out "pricing" for items.

eg: I have just finished a 12 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch sycamore fruit bowl/platter and have been asked how much I would want for it.

I know that you have to account for the initial cost of the wood, the labour time and of course a profit, but I am still non-the-wiser.

If you were me, what would you price it for?

It took roughly 4 days or about 9-12 hours, the inital blank was about £11.

any help, advice more than welcome.

Andy

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 774.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Re: 12 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch sycamore fruit bowl/platter.
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 12:19pm

My price guide is $10 per inch up to 10".  Anything beyond is $12.50 per inch giving a selling total of $156.25.  Add the cost of the blank and voila!  Try that and you can always deduct a little.  "Well, since it's a bit shallow I'll knock $15 off."

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Marc Hathaway
WR Noob

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 1:56pm

I was just looking around today trying to figure out a pricing system.  I think Leo's right based on what I was seeing.  I figured on $10 per inch up to 10 inches.  Most of the prices I saw for things over 10 inches ranged from around $11.50 to $13.50. 

I would adjust the price based on material cost and any special detailing or finishing.  You should also check your local market pricing.  No sense selling yourself short.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Roger_Smith
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

North Alabama, Alabama, USA
North Alabama
Alabama
USA

Reply #3 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 4:27pm

Andy, everything depends on location, location and location.  I have not been able to get $10/inch for any bowl unless it had some fantastic figure, color or other characteristics that increase the value.  Most turners around here are pricing 10/12 inch bowls about $50 to $70.  I am not telling you to price it less, but, just check the market in your area.

If you attempt to be acceptable to all people, then you are special to none.
WWW overtrim1 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print