Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
homemade drum sander (Read 7,149 times)

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

homemade drum sander
Sep 19th, 2009 at 11:08am

hey guys,

i had a few people interested in the drum sander i made, so here a some details on it. the drum is a piece of three inch electrical conduit pipe, wrapped in 120grit from harborfreight. the bed is made from 1"3/8" thick solid core door slabs. i happen to work for a door company so these were scrap! they are very heavy, but also very flat and stable. the fronts are hinged together, and i have a 1" threaded rod (through an epoxied nut)for a hieght adjustment. on the bottom i cut a board to fit snuggly between the bed. on one side i used two 1/4" bolts through some t-nuts. this allowed me to make the bed parallel to the drum. on the bedway board i have installed some more of the t-nuts so that i can attach a bottom board under the bed to secure the whole thing in place. there is definately room for improvement, but this setup works great! and i have pretty much nothing invested in it. i'll break this up into two sections so i can uplaod all the pics, so be sure to look at the other one too. if i can answer any questions let me know.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_5800.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_5802.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_5811.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

my drum sander pt2
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 11:09am

more pics

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_5812.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_5813.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_5814.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Steve Bistritz
WR Addict

Harrington Park, New Jersey, USA
Harrington Park
New Jersey
USA

Re: homemade drum sander
Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 11:57am

Brain, you are an absolute lifesaver. What an awesome idea!!!!!!!!!! I have been putting off refacing our kitchen cabinets ( first reason they are not a spinney thingy) because she wants plain glued up panels for the doors and I couldnt:
1. Decide either drum sander or planer
2. Which brand
3. Which store or bank to rob to be able to buy one.

So I picked the drum sander and was unable to find one reasonable. Had come across some plans online but it looked to be a good sized project. Yours functions the same, you just used your head....Thank you so much for sharing! smilies=bowdown smilies=bowdown

So many interests,so little time.........

IP Logged

Nick-Hoffman

WR Rocks!

Amherst, New York, USA
Amherst
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:24pm

Nice I was planning on doing this when I finally get a lathe going in my shop, whats your thoughts on functionality? I have seen the drum made of trued up wood.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:25pm by Nick-Hoffman »  
IP Logged

JohnStrait
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

ks, Kansas, USA
ks
Kansas
USA

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:53pm

Brian,
Thank you for taking the time to do this. Now I have another shop toy/tool to make.

John

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 5:17pm

Excellent Brian. Thank you.

As you noticed I combined both posts into one thread.

With your permission I'd like to make a PDF out this and post it in TPT

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 6:18pm

hey ron,
  absolutey! share this with anyone you like.

IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2009 at 6:25pm

nick asked about trued up wood for the drum. i have seen one long turned spindle drums, as well as several disks glued together and then trued up. i decided to use pipe out of laziness,lol! honestly that would be alot of work to make one out of wood, and i like the stability of metal. if i had my choice, i would have used a thicker walled tube. i haven't had any trouble out of it, but i always like to over build.

IP Logged

Lark Leazar
WR Addict

Hook 'Em!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 7:11am

Dang, what a good idea!  I have very limited space, me likey!

What did you use on the tailstock end?

Delta Midi 46-460

IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 9:35am

i should add this to the pdf. on my live center(yours may be different) it has threads to add extra accesories, like cones. so i drilled a scrap piece of wood with a 5/8" bit and threaded it on to the live center. on the live center there is a hole that goes though it. this allows you to stick a small bar through to prevent the center from turning and letting you tighten your accesories on. what i did what find an allen wrench that fit in very tightly and wedged it in there, then i put the live center in my head stock and turned a tapered cone shape that fit the end of the pipe. afterwards i put the live center back in the tailstock, i removed the allen wrench and the center could spin freely again. this works great, but it ties up my live center. so what i am fixing to do ir get a nut that matches the thread pattern of the live center, and epoxy it in some more scrap and turn another one. that way i can remove it, and not have to worry about the wooden threads wearing out or not spinning true. here is a pic of one similar to mine so you can get an idea of it. and if yours doesn't have the external threads, you can always buy a replacement one that does. they are very handy.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register live_center.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2009 at 5:43pm

Very good idea.  If I didn't already have a DS, I'd probably make this jig.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Jack Hunsucker

I am a part of all that
I have met.

Lawton, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, USA
Lawton, Oklahoma
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 6:22pm

Do you feed the blanks from the back?

Papajack
http://www.facebook.com/papajack70?ref=profile  
IP Logged

Scott Wheeler
WR Addict

The wood on the wathe
goes wound & wound

Reading PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Reading PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #12 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:08pm

Ok, where are the pics?

IP Logged

Gary Hostetter
WR Addict

Shrewsbury, Pennsylvania, USA
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
USA

Powermatic 3520B
Reply #13 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:23pm

Scott Wheeler wrote on Mar 27th, 2013 at 7:08pm:
Ok, where are the pics?

X2

VFW (Life member)
American Legion (Life member)
NRA (Life member)
Zembo Shriners

IP Logged

Bill Neff
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Barronett, Wisconsin, USA
Barronett
Wisconsin
USA

Jet 1642EVS
Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2013 at 8:28pm

Uh dudes look at the original posting dates... back in 2009.  If you look in the TPT section you'll find the pdf Ron said he would post of the sander.   Wink

To save you from looking for it, here it is...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Some people are like slinkies... totally worthless but it puts a smile on your face when you push them down the stairs.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print