Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cd case (Read 1,215 times)

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

cd case
Sep 25th, 2009 at 3:36pm

i know i said the oak cabinet was pretty simple, but i was basing it on this one. this was a challenge for me. first let me say i got the inspiration for this from marc spagnuolo. if you have never visited his site, it is excellent! he built a gadget staion for leo laporte, and i based my design off of his. if you have some time to kill, check out his build, as well as the rest of his site. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register now then, i made mine with walnut legs that are radiused on two sides, which i created a 1/4 in. mdf template for. i rough cut them on the bandsaw, then trimmed them up on the router table. the case is poplar, and joined in a greene & greene style. the back panel is bookmatched spalted poplar, and the front is bookmatched spalted sycamore, wrapped in walnut. i used barrel hinges on the bottom of the door so they are complety hidden. my favorite part though is the magnetic door opener. in the top of the door i embedded some magnets then plugged them with walnut. they catch another magnet at the top of the case. the finial has another magnet hidden inside it than "catches" on the ones in the door and opens it. no knobs, or handles, just nice and seemless. there is also a small piece of metal hidden on the top of the case that the finial rests in to keep in place. as always critiques and suggestions are welcome.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_421446.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_422946.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_423246.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: cd case
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2009 at 8:58pm

very nice work.  next too turning, i love flat work.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2009 at 7:34pm

Very cool, Brian. Nicely done.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Jeff McDonald

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 10:32am

Nice job!  Great design and great execution.  That is the nicest CD holder on the planet I'm sure...

Jeff McDonald
IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:32pm

I agree with everyone else very nicly done. smilies=bowdown smilies=bowdown
Only with my Cd collection/addiction I would need about 60 of them. Embarrassed Embarrassed

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 4:37pm

Dale Bonertz wrote on Sep 29th, 2009 at 8:32pm:
I agree with everyone else very nicly done. smilies=bowdown smilies=bowdown
Only with my Cd collection/addiction I would need about 60 of them. Embarrassed Embarrassed

Dale

I've got all my CDs in this case:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Grin

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 5:52pm

AWESOME,  smiley=beer.gif smiley=beer.gif smiley=beer.gif

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2009 at 7:32pm

Yeh I have my IPOD full as well.  There is still nothing better than to listen to a new CD and read the liner notes.  I like to see if they wrote there own song or bought it and who played on the CD.  Wierd I know but interesting.  Besides it makes for good backup if the computer crashes and IPOD die at the same time. Grin Grin

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 6:26am

Dale Bonertz wrote on Sep 30th, 2009 at 7:32pm:
...There is still nothing better than to listen to a new CD and read the liner notes.  I like to see if they wrote there own song or bought it and who played on the CD.  Wierd I know but interesting.  Besides it makes for good backup if the computer crashes and IPOD die at the same time. Grin Grin

Dale

I agree completely. I like reading all the details. I'd say about 60% to 70% of my music collection is on CD (which I've also ripped into MP3s) and the rest was purchased on iTunes. I've only bought a few albums on iTunes...the rest have been one song at a time. Apple has apparently just started including better album art and electronic liner notes when you buy some albums, but I've not seen any myself.

Back on topic, Brian's CD case could be scaled into a larger cabinet for storing hundreds of them. I really like the lines.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2009 at 12:04pm

3 or 4 of them would look real good in the back of my Expedition for my CD's. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cool Cool

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2009 at 9:24pm

thanks everyone! by the way, Dale, i have all 60 done. go ahead and send the check! Wink

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2009 at 8:13am

Grin Grin Grin Grin
That made me laugh.

Thanks,
Brian

Dale

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1