Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gill art and craft fest (Read 699 times)

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Gill art and craft fest
Oct 17th, 2009 at 4:23pm

Well, we did day one of a two day show.....
Poor crowd in both money and size, cold weather with a constant wind. We finished up at $70 for the day....
On the plus side.. it is less then 2 miles from our home and they waved the set up fee to get us there.  So, we are $70 ahead. We did make a few decent contacts, passed out some business cards and caught up with some friends we haven't seen in a while.
The people we cater to just weren't there today.
If it rains or snows tomarrow we will not be setting up, right now the weather says 90% chance.

There was 2 quality wood workers there, both seemed to sell a couple bread boards and wine bottle holders, but they weren't over run either. Only one of them had anything turned and that was 6 bottle stoppers, not one visitor even looked at them. The wood carver that was there last year wasn't this year. The potters did fairly well from what I could tell.
If there is a New England turner that does well at art and craft shows it might be worth while to give it a try next year.

Chuck-- watched for you all day, but you must have missed us in the crowd...  Roll Eyes  real good chance we won't be there tomarrow so not worth the 3 hour ride.

Brad

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Re: Gill art and craft fest
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 5:19pm

Brad,
I couldn't get today off I was going to go tomorrow if the weather is decent.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 6:57pm

It is a nice artsy show, all juried so no junk so if you want to spend a day you might enjoy yourself.
We won't know until about 8:30-9:00 a.m. if we are going to set up or not.
If you decide to take the trip anyway give a hollar and we will meet you there (if we are not set up) if we are you will see us..  Cool

Brad

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 7:03pm

Sorry to see things were slow. I did a show last weekend in Studio City CA that had great weather, excellent artwork, decent crowds, and almost no buyers. The economy out here is sure showing signs of wear.

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2009 at 7:32pm

Vaughn, I do think economy probably has a good deal to do with it. This is typically one of the better money shows in this area. And I am not complaining at all, it was a freebee for us and we do enjoy getting out and talking to people.
We told the fest coordinator we would buy a spot next year, 2 miles from home and decent people, even if we don't make a bunch it is worth it to support a local show.

I thought Studio City shows were a give me, people waiting in line to shove money at you.

Brad

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 7:14am

Brad_Mortensen wrote on Oct 17th, 2009 at 7:32pm:
...I thought Studio City shows were a give me, people waiting in line to shove money at you...

This was the second show I've done in Studio City, and both had slow sales, but both were after the economic crash of last fall. This show has a great reputation among the vendors, but everybody is slow out here these days. My biggest money-making show ever was Spring 2008 in Brentwood. (Beverly Hills Lite) My worst money-losing show was the Fall 2008 show in Brentwood, six months later. Things have been slow to recover since then.

I agree with your reasoning for doing the one that's close to your house, though. Heck, that's close enough to go home for a bathroom break. Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2009 at 7:17am by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2009 at 8:52am

Brad,sorry you didn't have as good of show as you would have liked.I guess I shouldn't gripe about mine then.  smiley=shake head.gif but I did spend about two days buffing water spots out of my bowls and even a few of my jewelry boxes.(that sucked)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print