Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
bad month for shows in the south (Read 1,345 times)

ddt frederick holsclaw
WR Addict

beam me up scotty

earth i think (aka lathekiller, South Carolina, USA
earth i think (aka lathekiller
South Carolina
USA

bad month for shows in the south
Oct 27th, 2009 at 6:04pm

well i did a show on the 2nd and3 rd of oct and made 20 dollars for the week end show coast me50 to get in

was going to do a show on the 10 of oct.  but went hunting insted had a friend who did the show and no one showed up well i saved 35 .00 dollars buy not going  and saw no deer
did a show on the 17 of the month  spent 20 to get in and made 0 

went back to my farmers    market last sat on the 24  and did better than all the shows  i did in the first of the month
bang head
bang head
bang head

just making toothpicks

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Re: bad month for shows in the south
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 7:08pm

I can definitely relate to that,sometimes were better off just goin fishing  Sad

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 7:16pm

I was at the senior community 2 weeks ago where I went last year.  I knew it was too early for Christmas sales, but I figured I would just do a little publicity show.  I had requests for several style/wood combos I didn't have, but could have for next time.  I still did $120, and they don't charge me.  I got invited back for Nov 23, and the second week of Dec.  I am hopeful that I will do close to what I did last year.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:37am

I had my first really good show of the year last weekend. It was a one day event in Claremont, CA...the biggest art and craft show in the area every year. Last fall I only sold one $40 pen (and paid $275 entry fee for the privilege). This fall, a lot more wallets were opening up, and I tripled my entry fee. Still not a real practical way to get rich, but it beats losing money.

IP Logged

Frank Denton

WR Rocks!

Re: bad month for shows in the south & mid-west
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 12:13pm

Did a show for the first time at the end of September, huge crowd on both days. 2nd day they brought in at least 4 bus loads of people, they didn't buy much. Still did over 2k talked to the other artist's there who'd been doing the show for years and they said it was the worst they had seen. Just finished a show that is a invitational/juried event limited to 32 artists. This was my 5th year and every year since the first my sales grew, this year down about 75%. did $1500 this year and 5k last year not complaining just consider myself blessed for the past years! All artist there were way down, it was not a public event and was told about 25% of invited quests called in at the last minute sick and unable to travel.

One more show to go for the year, a holiday event on Dec 4th & 5th, we'll see how that goes.

Frank D.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 3:36pm

Hey Frank, what kinds of things are you selling to get those kinds of daily totals?

IP Logged

Frank Denton

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2009 at 10:58am

VAUGHN, i make a little of everything. mostly natural edge bowls, but bases, bottle stoppers, ornaments, goblets, holow forms, candle holders. Would like to do game calls but have too many irons in fire now, don't make any pens or tops, a mushroom once in awhile. I've been to a few shows that included other turners and their offerings were limited. Several pices but only 3 or 4 variations with different sizes. I try to offer a large variety with very little duplication.

I'll try and post a picture of one of my display set-ups.

Frank D.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print