Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Photography question. (Read 2,241 times)

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Photography question.
Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:06pm

Until I get some batteries for our other camera I have to use this one. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Basic info first my comp screen is set up for 800x600 I need big icons to see. I also use Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register as a editing software of my pics. When I took this pic here. I used the auto setting for focus.

Click pic for full size.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It was at arm length & when I tried to download it directly to WR it kept telling me the file was to big. Even after resizing it 4 times. SO I had to download it to my photobucket acct then post it as a thumbnail pic.

Questions are.

1. what distance should pics be taken at?

2. I know it can't be over 100 something to download to WR how do I check to see what size it is? I got a tad pissed resizing it 4 times.

any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Re: Photography question.
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:38pm

I can't answer Question 1.

Q.2  You can get the size by right clicking on the pic and open 'Properties'.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 5:04pm

Or right click on pic/ open with/ microsoft office picture manager / picture/ compress/ for web page....should bring it down to about 50 - 60 kb.

Hope that makes sense... If you don't use microsoft it will not help at all. Undecided

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 5:53pm

I cheat... email the photo to myself in hotmail... it automatically resizes to about 40...

Brad

IP Logged

ddt frederick holsclaw
WR Addict

beam me up scotty

earth i think (aka lathekiller, South Carolina, USA
earth i think (aka lathekiller
South Carolina
USA

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Chuck Beland wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 3:06pm:
Until I get some batteries for our other camera I have to use this one. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Basic info first my comp screen is set up for 800x600 I need big icons to see. I also use Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register as a editing software of my pics. When I took this pic here. I used the auto setting for focus.

Click pic for full size.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It was at arm length & when I tried to download it directly to WR it kept telling me the file was to big. Even after resizing it 4 times. SO I had to download it to my photobucket acct then post it as a thumbnail pic.

Questions are.

1. what distance should pics be taken at?

2. I know it can't be over 100 something to download to WR how do I check to see what size it is? I got a tad pissed resizing it 4 times.

any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks

answer to number 1   about 3 feet .

just making toothpicks

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 6:10pm

Brad,

I like the cheating idea, I must try that one. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 11:07pm

Chuck, there are two aspects to a picture's size: the "picture size", or number of dots (pixels) the picture is made from and the "file size", which is the  amount of space on the disk the file uses (kilobytes, or KB).

I'm not familiar with the software you're using, but you should be able to find two adjustments that will effect the size. The "picture size" will probably be easy to spot...it'll be the numbers like 800 x 600 or 640 x 480. The "file size" setting might be hiding a little deeper, though. It will have a name like "Compression" or "Picture Quality". Try adjusting that one and your file size will drop quite a bit. If it's a "Compression" setting, increasing the number will reduce the file size. If it's a "Quality" setting, lower the number to reduce the file size. (You won't likely see a difference in the picture quality unless you're printing large versions of the pics. The difference is virtually invisible on a computer monitor.)

My guess...the reason the focus is a bit out on the picture you posted is because A) You were holding the camera one-handed while holding the object with the other, and both were moving a bit, and B) The sky was a bit overcast, which causes the camera to take slower (and potentially more blurry) photos. If you set the object on something stable, and either hold the camera with both hands or put it on a tripod, I think your autofocus problems will go away. Wink

[Edited to add...] I just re-read your original post, and the distance from the camera to the object has no bearing on the picture size. It's gonna be roughly the same size if you're shooting a pic of a flower that's 10 inches away or shooting a pic of a mountain 10 miles away.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2009 at 11:12pm by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 4:19am

OK, I just installed and checked out FastStone. It took a while, but I found where to adjust the compression (or quality). Start FastStone, open the Settings option and click the JPEG tab. You'll see the JPEG Quality slider there. Lower numbers (say in the 60 to 80 range) will still look fine, but reduce the file size for you.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 7:05am

Thanks guys.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 5:06pm

I think ya need to rake ya leave's in ya back yard!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 5:19pm

I did on last Sunday. since then we've had rain for the last 5 days & very windy the last 2 days I got a bunch more from my neighbors.  Angry 

Just because I love ya Wizz.  smiley=slap.gif  That's for noticing.

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 5:24pm

Must be nice to have generous neighbours.

It rained here once too, I remember it well. Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 6:07am

leo Makepeace wrote on Nov 28th, 2009 at 5:24pm:
Must be nice to have generous neighbours.

It rained here once too, I remember it well. Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 1:25pm

Thanks Chuck I deserved that one.  smiley=dankk2.gif smiley=beer.gif

IP Logged

Frank Van Atta

Green Valley, AZ, Arizona, USA
Green Valley, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 2:58pm

Vaughn McMillan wrote on Nov 27th, 2009 at 11:07pm:
[Edited to add...] I just re-read your original post, and the distance from the camera to the object has no bearing on the picture size. It's gonna be roughly the same size if you're shooting a pic of a flower that's 10 inches away or shooting a pic of a mountain 10 miles away.

True . . . and not true.

The overall picture will be the same size, but the percentage of the picture devoted to the object being photographed - and, therefore, the number of pixels covering the item iteslf - won't.

I shoot a lot of pictures of small turnings, and I always get as close as I can and/or zoom in so that the maximum number of pixels cover the turning itself after the picture is cropped.  This prevents it from getting blurry when it is blown up.  Some examples (all pictures sized to 400 pixels on longest side): picture @ 10 inches; pic 1 cropped to show only the turning; picture at 10 feet; picture cropped to show only the turning.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print