Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
barn beams (Read 496 times)

jim jones

WR Rocks!

barn beams
Dec 7th, 2009 at 1:06pm

hi all, well i got 7 beams last saturday, i cut a piece off one, and it is white oak, and it looks great. i cut a 3 inch piece off the end, cut off all the outside of the piece. and me and my wife wore gloves while we handled it, and i wore a dust mask while i cut it. i brought the cut off piece in the house to show my son how nice it looked and it cracked quite a bit. it is cold outside, the barn is 150 years old, do you guys think it cracked like that because it was at the end of the beam, and maybe it had a crack it it, and it just got bigger when i brought it in? or will i have this all the way through the beams???? thanks for all input, jim

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Re: barn beams
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 4:40pm

Jim, that's a difficult question to answer.  My first guess would be that it cracked because you brought it inside into a totally different temperature and humidity level.  In this respect, wood is forever alive.  It could have had hairline cracks on the ends, which is very common with oaks.  Not much more I can say other than that's a grandpa beam and needs a little TLC.

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print