When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Crab apple haul...
Dec 7th, 2009 at 2:10pm

I got a small load of fresh cut crab apple this afternoon and I'd like some input on it, how is it for turning and what can I expect it to do as far as cracks and stuff. It looks alot like what Paul has posted on his exotic wood sight for Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, scroll down just a little to where you come up to "web pics" and my piece's look alot like that.

The biggest piece is 18" across and 13" thick and the rest drop down in size. but most of it is 13" thick or thicker. I can see some really pretty bowls coming out of this if it's worth the time to turn. Also what would you do as far as sealing this after your done turning... an oil like DO, walnut oil or a sealer of some kind like polly or lacquer?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register crabapple.JPG (Attachment deleted)

Wizzy

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
TomTunget
WR Addict

Praise God for creativity!

CaveCreek, AZ, Arizona, USA
CaveCreek, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Crab apple haul...
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 5:33pm

Mike, I like to use Poly on fruit woods. Crab Apple though? Thats like SeaFruit wood. Wink

We wouldn't allow garbage to be served on the table,
why would we allow it to be served to our minds?

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 6:14pm

Wizz,
That's got some nice color I can't wait to see what it really looks like.  smiley=beer.gif

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 6:19pm

Mike...and others posting pics of wood gloats.  Would you mind taking photos of the wood sitting on the ground please?  When you take the photos and include your super trucks it makes me very jealous.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 6:26pm

Great-looking haul, Mike. I seem to recall crab apple has a tendency to move quite a bit when drying, but I don't recall the details. Looking forward to seeing what you make with it.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

Brendan McAreavy wrote on Dec 7th, 2009 at 6:19pm:
Mike...and others posting pics of wood gloats.  Would you mind taking photos of the wood sitting on the ground please?  When you take the photos and include your super trucks it makes me very jealous.

So you probably won't want to see this pic of me and my truck at the recycling center...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

(I collect aluminum cans on the highway so I can afford to buy fuel for my truck.)  Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2009 at 6:27pm by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Eric Geist

Here's my wallet- show
me the wood

Loveland, Colorado, USA
Loveland
Colorado
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 6:36pm

Wow that is some pretty big crab-apple. There used to be a bunch of it where I grew up, but I doubt the homewoners there would let me wander through the neighborhood with a chainsaw...

Bre, I will be sure to not post a pic of my truck in the future, and just so you know why, I will make an exception this time.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Barney.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Loveland, CO

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2009 at 7:24pm

That's pretty impressive Eric.  However, the truck I want is Vaughn's - not the one he is claiming to own but the one with the tail-lift.  That would be great for my fragile spine.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Duff Bement

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 10:46am

I have turned crab apple and some other appple and it is one of my favorite woods. It cuts nice without very much tearout and sands up very nice. I havn't any problems with very much movement or cracking. I turn it down to about 3/16" and as uniform thickness as I can get it. Enjoy your haul and please share pictures. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bob_Macgregor

Round wood.  Sharp steel.

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 12:10pm

I think Duff has the trick.   Turn it green to finish, uniformly thin and you should be good.   I don't recommend turning apple lidded boxes from green wood, though (heck, I had to try it once!).
BOB

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:14pm

I picked up a load of wood this morning, but I lost it again..............just not my day, lost my truck too.........

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:32pm

Nice haul there Mike,can't wait to see what you make out of it.OH YES you shouldn't try to handle that piece on the left,so just roll it off an I'll take care of it when I come by in April  Smiley

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:32pm

Ken Ward wrote on Dec 16th, 2009 at 7:32pm:
OH YES you shouldn't try to handle that piece on the left,so just roll it off an I'll take care of it when I come by in April

Ya twit, which one on the left, their 3 pieces stacked on that side!!! I bet your talking about the big piece on the top of the pile ain't ya... or are ya speaking about the one on the bottom??? You can have the one on the bottom, I got plan's for the one on top... mama said she wanted a big bowl out of it, I just wish I had a way to core it and make a set for her, but I don't got no coring tool's. Cry

Thanks everyone for the info, I hope to start some of it soon and I'll turn it thin and hope for the best, mama said she really likes the colors in this wood and can't wait to see how it turn's out in a finished piece.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2009 at 9:33pm by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #12 - Dec 16th, 2009 at 10:11pm

Man an I thought we was buddys.Tell ya what,I'll haul it up there an core it for ya,then bring it back when I'm done. Smiley I promise

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 12:12am

Ken Ward wrote on Dec 16th, 2009 at 10:11pm:
Man an I thought we was buddys.Tell ya what,I'll haul it up there an core it for ya,then bring it back when I'm done. Smiley I promise

What's with the....  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley then... I'm not dead yet ya twit!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 4:57am

Wizz,
He's got plans.  Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print