Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New video: Vacuum system (Read 4,877 times)

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

New video: Vacuum system
Dec 8th, 2009 at 2:32pm

Brian asked for a closer look at the system I use for vacuum chucking, so here it is.  Playlist is available at:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Bob Tate

WR Rocks!

Re: New video: Vacuum system
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 5:06pm

That is fantastic Bob. I have spent a lot if time thinking about using a shop vac but was chicken to try because so many people said it would burn up the vac. I know what I will be doing this weekend. And the temperatures are supposed to get above the teens too. Looking like a fun weekend.
I really appreciate you doing this video for us.
Bob Tate
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2009 at 5:06pm by Bob Tate »  

IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 7:32pm

First rate as always.

Thanks Bob!

IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 10:36pm

hey bob,

thanks for the quick response on the video! very informative, i think it answered alot of questions, and put alot of doubts to rest as well. one thing though, you drilled a by pass hole, so the vac wouldn't deadhead, but you said it was fan cooled, so why do you need the extra hole? am i misunderstanding what deadheading is?

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #4 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 10:44pm

Brian,

It means you don't starve the shop vac of air... you know the way you might pick up a piece of paper with the hose and the engine screams because it isn't able to (edited out) properly?  The hole keeps an air supply going to the vac.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:10am

Very cool, I always wanted to see one of these in action and thanks for doing all that you do, you have given me what I needed to know to "try" and make one for myself... you are the man, thank you Bob, keep up the great work!  smiley=thumbsup.gif Outstanding job!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:11am by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 7:50am

There are a few theories about why deadheading is hard on the vacuum, and I am not familiar enough with how the things work to know which is the correct on.  The one about the air flow cooling the motor (which is actually included on the Teknatool site as the reason for needing the bypass air flow hole) seems to me to be disproved by the fact that the exhaust air does not pass through the motor.

My theory was that the vacuum is simply working harder than it was designed for when it is trying to (edited out) air through a totally plugged hose and the construction of them is just not up to handling the extra load for prolonged periods and the motor bushings just wore out.  Keep in mind that the original vac I was using was a cheap unit that I had already had for 15 years, so it might have been going to fail anyway.

A gentleman on another forum who is quite familiar with machinery proposed another theory which might be more likely.  He said that the "work" the vacuum is doing is moving air.  If there is no air for the vac to move (ie.:  plugged hose) it is actually not doing any work and tends to overspeed, accelerating wear on all the moving parts.  The overspeeding is what makes that high pitched whine when you plug the hose.  Providing a bypass air flow prevents the motor from overspeeding.

Regardless of why deadheading is bad for the vacuum I would recommend providing a bypass air flow path.  I was reluctant to do it on my set-up because I assumed it would reduce the grip at the chuck.  In truth I can't say I have noticed any difference at all in the holding power with the bypass air flow hole compared to when I did not have the hole.  I can't recall for sure whether my hole is 1/4" or 5/16".

I did just find out that Nova is no longer marketing the vacuum adaptor.  I don't know why and there is no explanation on their web site.

Take care
Bob
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2009 at 7:53am by Bob Hamilton »  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:19pm

If your shop vac only has one exhaust port, the suction air is being used to cool the motor.  Most these days have two exhaust ports, a small one for the suction, and a larger one for the cooling fan. 

Do not use a shop vac that only has one exhaust port.  They need at least 50% air flow to keep the motor cool.  They have been know to burn up from running with excessively clogged filters.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 4:42pm

hey bob,

thanks for the explainations on deadheading. the way i see it, it works for you so don't fix it if it's not broken.

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 8:32am

well how that...i just got my question answered...thanks jim for explaining about single port vac's.
I have and old canister shop vac that i picked up at a yard sale yrs ago and the dang thing works so well i hope it never gives up ..the dang thing will hold a bowling ball ...truthfully it does!
It has a 3" hose that fits snuggley into the handwheel on a jet mini that i have so thought i would see if that would work for bob's idea of chucking...
  Well it didnt of course i find out why just now ...there is not enough pressure releif for the vac ..all it does is (edited out) up the hose and falls over..lol...well so much for that idea..lmao!...mmmm maybe try the DC?...lol..jk Grin

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 5:24pm

Bob Hampton wrote on Dec 11th, 2009 at 8:32am:
all it does is (edited out) up the hose and falls over..lol...

What about doing what Bob suggested... bypass air flow, by drilling another hole in your hose connection to allow some air to pass??? If that doesn't work you can always close the hole with epoxy... no harm, no foul...  Cool

Wizzy

IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Addict

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 1:23pm

Thanks so much for this set of vid's Bob! I've been thinking of doing this for years was was always a bit skeptical about a shop vac providing enough hold or burning it out from use. Went to the shop and made a hand wheel adapter for my DVR and used Ron's chuck system and "thar she blows"!! a vac chuck. I've already cleaned up two bowls using the vac chuck rather that my Longworth. The shop vac worked flawlessly. Now to make another for my 1442. I may someday spend a few $$ for a vacuum pump but for the foreseeable future I am set. Again, I really appreciate your efforts with the vids and your explinations of what was going on...Bill..
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2009 at 1:24pm by Bill Bolen »  

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Bob Hampton

stress releif "let the
chips fly"

Reply #12 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 4:57pm

mike
tried that ...even dug out an old hose i had and punched 3 holes in it...same thing ..lol...so gonna try and cut a slot in the old hose and fit a piece of pvc over it to act as a slide closer maybe that will tell me how much releif i need ..that old shp vac amazes me sometimes...lol

Bob
Bob Hampton  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 5:03pm

Bill,

I would be interested in seeing how you connect the brass tube to the shop vac hose if you don't mind please.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Addict

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2009 at 7:07pm

Sure Brendan. I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. I just turned a wooden fitting for the hose to slide onto for the jet. Made the Nova hand wheel fitting from some left over quarts counter top. Bill...

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print