Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Photo Editing Software (Read 1,106 times)

TomTunget
WR Addict

Praise God for creativity!

Scottsdale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Scottsdale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Photo Editing Software
Dec 10th, 2009 at 9:51am

New computers are great but when you lose you old prgrams...
My old comp was gringing to a halt, literally. I think the hard drive was locking and it made some growling noises.
Anyway I replaced it and am now running Windows 7. With my old comp, running Windows XP, I had MS Picture it, which I really liked.
I can't seem to find a disc with the program on it and couldn't transfer it from the old to new so,,,

For you camera bugs/turners, what to do?
Do I have to buy a windows 7 version or is there a compatabile program? I want to be able to stitch, cut along edges and other neat stuff.

Let the info fire away!

We wouldn't allow garbage to be served on the table,
why would we allow it to be served to our minds?
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Photo Editing Software
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 10:21am

I've been dual booting Win7 and XP for a few months and I think Win7 is a winner.

Some of the drivers for the commercial equipment I use still isn't compatible in the new OS.

In Win7 I open a XP window (you need XP  installed on the same computer) and run XP software and drivers.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2009 at 10:23am by Ron Sardo »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Frank Van Atta

Green Valley, AZ, Arizona, USA
Green Valley, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 11:33am

TomTunget wrote on Dec 10th, 2009 at 9:51am:
I can't seem to find a disc with the program on it and couldn't transfer it from the old to new so,,,

For you camera bugs/turners, what to do?
Let the info fire away!

There are a number of free, but quite powerful photo editing programs available.  The oldest and possibly one of the best of the bunch is IrfanView available for free download at Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Picasa is available for free from Google.

Gimp is an open source editor available from a lot of download sites: Google "gimp" and pick one.

IP Logged

DMcIvor

considering turning pro

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 1:37pm

I recommend Corel's Paint Shop Pro. It's a very powerful program, shallow learning curve, and modest cost for what you get.

Don
IP Logged

Paul Hinds

the Hobbit

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 2:11pm

DMcIvor wrote on Dec 10th, 2009 at 1:37pm:
I recommend Corel's Paint Shop Pro. It's a very powerful program, shallow learning curve, and modest cost for what you get.

I agree.  I use Adobe's PhotoShop for a lot of stuff but it is VERY complicated, has the absolute worst help system imaginable, and does only a few things that Paint Shop Pro doesn't do or doesn't do so well.

If budget is an issue, I recommend getting the next-to-most-recent version off of ebay. The program has been around so long that the upgrades aren't all that earthshaking any more.

[HMMM ... after posting this, I realized that we MAY be talking about different thing, since the Paint Shop Pro that I use is NOT from Corel but from JASC Software, unless they have been bought out by Corel]

Paul

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2009 at 2:13pm by Paul Hinds »  

Paul (hobbithouse) Hinds
WOOD ID SITE: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
BOWLS: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
GLOSSARY: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 5:46pm

Nope, two different packages.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

TomTunget
WR Addict

Scottsdale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 9:29am

Thanks for the info.
I downloaded GIMP but it seems to not be as easy as Picture It was. I can't figure out how to compress the pictures for web yet.

I'll keep looking and trying. More suggestions are still welcome.

IP Logged

DMcIvor

considering turning pro

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 12:49pm

Paul Hinds wrote on Dec 10th, 2009 at 2:11pm:
[HMMM ... after posting this, I realized that we MAY be talking about different thing, since the Paint Shop Pro that I use is NOT from Corel but from JASC Software, unless they have been bought out by Corel]

Corel bought out Jasc several versions back. It is the same program, but with many improvements and changes since Jasc's last version. I agree with the comment that changes between versions are minor. But I think you can find the latest version for around $50 or so.

Don
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 5:44pm

TomTunget wrote on Dec 11th, 2009 at 9:29am:
Thanks for the info.
I downloaded GIMP but it seems to not be as easy as Picture It was. I can't figure out how to compress the pictures for web yet.

I'll keep looking and trying. More suggestions are still welcome.

I use Photoshop Elements on a lot of pics I take, but Irfanview is my go-to tool for basic cropping and resizing. It can do batch resizing, so I'll tweak a set of photos in their native size, then make reduced-size versions of them all at once. For resizing a single picture, Irfanview is very easy too.

But...you've got Gimp, so here's how to resize a pic in Gimp:

1. Open Gimp, and open the picture you want to resize.

2. From the menu bar at the top of the main window, select Image, then Scale Image.

3. Enter the width or height you want the picture to be. If you want to keep things proportional, click the little "links of chain" icon to the right of the Width and Height boxes.

4. Click Scale, then save the picture. (I'd use a different name, to avoid overwriting the original.)

You're done!

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 8:23pm

I think Tom is talking about reducing the size of the file, not necessarily the size of the picture.  In Picasa you can do it by using the "Export Picture to folder..." function in the File menu and then selecting either "Original size" or "Resize to" and filling in the desired width in pixels, then selecting an option for Quality.  The "Minimum" setting produces a reasonably good image quality with a quite small file size.  I typically see 2 mb file sizes reduced to ~50 k.

The program I usually use specifically for generating smaller files from picture files is called PhotoResizer and is available for download from:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register; You simply save the file to your desktop and it becomes a drop target.  When you want to resize a picture you simply drag and drop the picture file onto the icon.  It re-names and saves the output file back into the directory the original file was in, unless you set it up to save it somewhere else.  It really seems to do a good job but that is the only thing it will do.  Any required editing must be done before using it. 

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #10 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 5:31am

Bob Hamilton wrote on Dec 13th, 2009 at 8:23pm:
I think Tom is talking about reducing the size of the file, not necessarily the size of the picture...

Ah, now I gotcha.  Wink  The "Quality" adjustment is shown when you save a file in Gimp*. Click File -> Save and you'll see a slider at the top of the Save dialog for adjusting the quality. For web pictures, you probably won't see any difference between 100 (the highest) and 50 on the slider, but the file size will be much smaller.

* In playing with it tonight, it looks like after you open a file in Gimp, the "Quality" slider is only shown the first time you save the file. To adjust it again you apparently have to close the file and re-open it.

IP Logged

TomTunget
WR Addict

Scottsdale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2009 at 9:24am

Yes Bob, that was precisely what I was refferring to. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Vaughn, thank you for that. I never would have found it otherwise. I think Gimp is the program I will go with. I just wish it didn't load as two different windows. Any other info or tips using Gimp will be appreciated. Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2009 at 9:25am by TomTunget »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print