WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Well here I am
Dec 17th, 2009 at 6:15pm

I just purchased a not so hot midi lathe about three weeks ago. I've been turning up a storm for Christmas presents. So far I've worked with chestnut from an old massive tree that our old neighbors saved chunks of when the new owners cut the tree and tore the house down, cedar I had laying around from boat building, and some plum from a dead tree I cut down and tossed in a pile. I'm still at the phase where I'm turning something from anything wood no matter what the condition.

I think I've averaged about two pieces per day over the last month. Most small and some about as large as I can deal with.

Two issues I've had:
1. I'm having a hell of a time dealing with the skew. I keep digging into the pieces and making a mess of them.

2. I've broken two roughing gouges trying to rough out large pieces of chestnut. The last one was only hours after I bought it as a replacement for the first one that broke and I wasn't even holding onto it that hard when it caught and snapped.

I guess links to using the skew would be nice and what I could be doing wrong with the roughing gouge might help. Also when working with very large chunks of wood, for me this means greater than 10X7, what is the best way to true them up without breaking things. Once I go over 7" high, I can't trim on my band saw.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 121509_2007.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: Well here I am
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2009 at 8:00pm

Roughing gouges are meant for spindle work.  There has been a movement to get them renamed Spindle Roughing Gouges.  The tang that goes into the handle is small in comparison to the cutting area you can get into the wood.  If you are trying to rough large pieces, you should be using a bowl gouge.  Another alternative would be the Ci1 from EasyWood Tools.  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  They have a carbide tips that get turned until you use all 4 sides, and then replace.

Welcome to our corner of the vortex, there is no escape.

JimQuarles

Who was it that was just saying that they had never heard of a roughing gouge breaking?

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 2:45pm

Welcome to WR Robert

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 5:01pm

Welcome Robert, glad to have ya, if you plan on doing alot of spindle work... keep the spindle gouge, if not hang it up and get you a good bowl gouge and scrapper to start with. As far as the skew goes... its a bugger to learn but once you do, you'll love it, its made for delicate work mainly, kinda like shaving your face with a very sharp straight razor, but you can do alot with a skew once you learn its tricks.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 6:26pm

Welcome Robert. Here is a video of the tool Jim told you ABOUT. a LOT OF US HERE HAVE T5HEM & THEY ARE EXCELLENT & WORK JUST LIKE IN THE VIDEOS.
(sorry fat fingers)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2009 at 6:26pm by Chuck Beland »  

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

ddt frederick holsclaw
WR Addict

beam me up scotty

earth i think (aka lathekiller, South Carolina, USA
earth i think (aka lathekiller
South Carolina
USA

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 8:19pm

welcome to the vortex
be care full of chuck  if he offers you cookies run
if you need answers we will give them to you right or wrong but we will answer them
now go turn something and dont mind the dust
smilies=bowdown

just making toothpicks

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2009 at 9:11pm

I'm going to see if I can rig up new handles for the roughing gouges because the blades are still quite good. I think I'll take the night off and hit the shop early in the morning. I have two segmented bowls to turn and some other projects to rough out.

Thanks for the links and information. It is funny how your tool of choice can change. I wasn't that hot on the fingernail gouge to start with but now that I've got it very sharp, I love it for some things.

I'm going to try to figure this skew tool out if it kills me.  Grin

Once again, thanks all and remember, one good turn deserves another.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:31am

Welcome to the clubhouse, Robert.  smiley=thumbsup.gif  Without seeing how you're using the roughing gouge, it's tough to say what might be going wrong, but something is definitely going wrong.  Wink

Robert Harper wrote on Dec 18th, 2009 at 9:11pm:
...I'm going to try to figure this skew tool out if it kills me.Grin ...

Not sure what you're using the skew on, but keep in mind the skew is another one of those tools you probably shouldn't be using on bowls or other faceplate work. The skew's all problem and no solution under those circumstances. Wink

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:12pm

welcome Robert Smiley Smiley

a question:  how far over the tool rest was the gouge hanging??  the farther out, the more pressure on the handle and the tang of the tool.  i try and not let mine hang more then 1 to 1-1/2".

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:15pm

Robert,

Have you looked at the Tuturials and Tips or online videos at the top of this page. ????? some very good information and the best part is is that it is FREE....good luck and keep all tools firmly pressed down on the tool rest or OOOOOOOPPPPPSSSSSS.....

Try these .......
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:30pm by leo Makepeace »  

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #10 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:08am

David Hamann wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:12pm:
welcome Robert Smiley Smiley

a question:  how far over the tool rest was the gouge hanging??  the farther out, the more pressure on the handle and the tang of the tool.  i try and not let mine hang more then 1 to 1-1/2".

The last one I broke, only hours after having picked it up from the store, broke while the tool rest was maybe an inch at best from the piece and thus the bulk of the tool was on the rest. I hardly felt a tug when it caught and snapped.

I've since recovered the tools by buying a steel pipe, threading a couple of holes and bolting them in the pipe. The tools are heavier now. The steel pipe doesn't feel as good as a wood handle but for a $25 investment in pipe, tapping tool, and four bolts, I've recovered over $100 in tools.

I turned some spindle blanks for goblets yesterday and they seemed to work fine.

Edit: I also was turning a block for a goblet at the time. Probably about 5"X5"X18" of chestnut. The resulting goblet looked great thought.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:10am by Robert Harper »  

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #11 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:13am

leo Makepeace wrote on Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:15pm:
Robert,

Have you looked at the Tuturials and Tips or online videos at the top of this page. ????? some very good information and the best part is is that it is FREE....good luck and keep all tools firmly pressed down on the tool rest or OOOOOOOPPPPPSSSSSS.....

Try these .......

Why yes I have. Every one of them. I don't try to use the skew on bowls. Far too scary. I'm usually trying to clean up a goblet or something similar. The videos I've watched don't  go into too much detail and in the experienced hands, look far easier to use than I've found in practice.

IP Logged

Duff Bement

Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:50am

Welcome to the vortex. It sounds like you may need to spend some time at the grinder. My turning was nothing more than poor to mediocre   until I learned to sharpen. Please don't even try a skew unless it's SHARP!!! Good luck and don't give up, it only gets better. Have a GREAT holiday.

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 11:59am

Duff Bement wrote on Dec 21st, 2009 at 10:50am:
Welcome to the vortex. It sounds like you may need to spend some time at the grinder. My turning was nothing more than poor to mediocre   until I learned to sharpen. Please don't even try a skew unless it's SHARP!!! Good luck and don't give up, it only gets better. Have a GREAT holiday.

Having been a chef in a past life, I know the value of sharp tools and sharpened my skew on a diamond stone I have from back then. It did help some but when it dug in, It went much farther. I think most of my problem is how to present the tool to the wood. I probably should turn a simple spindle and just practice but I hate wasting wood. Sure a lot ends up as saw dust but I think it is far better to turn a bowl than burn it up in a fire.

IP Logged

Duff Bement

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 3:28pm

Don't worry about wasting wood, it grows on trees. Start with some old 2x4 ripped down and squared. If you learn how to a make a piece of pine smooth then everything else is gravy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print