Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Oneway Flat Jaws
Jan 1st, 2010 at 9:53pm

I have had a few questions about my use of the Oneway flat jaws on my SN2 chuck, so I put together this short video to shed some light on the subject.   Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Happy New Year!
Bob

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Oneway Flat Jaws
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 12:20pm

Bob -

While I have other chucks then the Nova, the topic was very useful.
Concerning the scroll pin -- one can remove it with a pin punch, or can knock it back flush on the bottom and file off the extension on the top -- then a few taps with a pin punch will set it in place, and allow it to be withdrawn for use on the Talon. (the smart people at OneWay may already have figure this out -- I looked on the step jaws for my talon and there is room to knock it back) The rolled pin is 0.094 on my dial calipers in case one needs to get a replacement on a sunday.  All the jaws are bored for the pin but only one has it installed.

I am much more motivated to get flat jaws for the talon and vicmark.

Have you thought about just making wooden jaws that screw to your nova chuck. I have a couple of set of the derylin (sp) plastic jaws for the Vicmark that screw onto the jaw body. I have a lot of 2 inch birch and some maple and was looking at making direct mounting jaws. Your technique does not have borings for heads of screws which may make it a cleaner approach.

You might spend some of your vidio creation time on showing us how us have developed and used some of the jigging for those jaws.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2010 at 12:21pm by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2010 at 7:44pm

Hi, Ken:
Before I got the flat jaws I would sometimes make jaws out of plywood when I needed to hold something like the lid for my lidded bowl:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The problem with that approach is that the mounting screw holes are awfully close to the edges of the wood.  Also, if you don't have longer screws to fit your chuck you need to countersink quite deeply so that enough of the standard jaw mounting screws engage with the base jaws.  That is a really risky mount.  I do know of one turner who tried doing this with MDF and wound up with life threatening injuries when the jaws flew off the lathe.  He got a compound fracture of the left forearm and almost bled to death before he could get to medical attention.

I would be really hesitant about using solid wood for that application since the holes are so close to the edge and wood can split along its grain.  The thicker and heavier the jaw material the more stress there is on the wood around the screws.  I have only made them from plywood and at fairly small diameters, used at slow speeds.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2010 at 10:15pm

thanks for the advise ---  I shudder to think of MDF spinning at high rates of speed in that kind of application.   Not the stuff that is good for.

That will go into the good ideas best not used list -- and especially on small chucks.   Was considering the vicmark becausei it is so big.  Flat jaws are not that expensive - 

Again -- appreciate your videos and perspectives!!  Thanks for the continued sharing of your skill and knowledge.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print