Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hello from St Pete Florida (Read 3,441 times)

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Hello from St Pete Florida
Jan 5th, 2010 at 7:56am

Hello everyone.  Thanks for the forum.  I was just turned onto woodturning over the holidays.  I visited my parents in Michigan and my father showed me how to turn pens.  I turned 3, one lacewood, one purpleheart, and one black walnut.  I believe I'm hooked so I'm here to learn.  I don't have much room in my garage and no workshop so I'm trying to find out which affordable mini-lathe is best for me.  Thanks again I look forward to learning and eventually sharing.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2010 at 9:07am by Jake Respondek »  

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Hello from St Pete Florida
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 8:27am

Welcome Jake.  You have just entered the vortex of no return.  You are going to have so much fun turning and learning.  The folks here are mostly harmless.  Ask all the questions that come to mind, search them out, and ask them.  You'll get answers, sometimes they'll be right.  But really we'll try to help anyway we can.  Welcome to WR.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Supporter

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2010 at 3:56pm

Welcome aboard Jake. A great group of people here always willing to help out. When you go for a lathe make sure not to get one of those cheapie's. You will not be satisfied. It is much less expensive to get a decent machine from the start rather than going through all the hassel of upgrading to a better machine over and over. For the mini's the jets, Rikon and the new Delta are well received machines. Also, on a side note, the lathe $$ will be the least of your turning expenses! All those slick chisels, chucks, finishing supplies ect. will keep you in the poor house. But you are gonna love it..Bill.. Grin

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 9:14am

Thanks for the welcomes.  From what I've researched so far I think I'm going to go with the Jet mini with variable speed.  It looks like Sears carries them, and I've got a couple gift cards to get me on my way to buying it probably within the month.

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2010 at 5:36pm

Jake,
Welcome
The jet 1014 mini will be a great lathe for starting expecially if you are turning pens.  You can also turn many other things on that lathe as well.  I have that jet as well as a big lathe and still enjoy turning on it.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 1:56pm

Dale Bonertz wrote on Jan 7th, 2010 at 5:36pm:
Jake,
Welcome
The jet 1014 mini will be a great lathe for starting expecially if you are turning pens.  You can also turn many other things on that lathe as well.  I have that jet as well as a big lathe and still enjoy turning on it.

Dale

I definitely plan on turning more than pens.  There is a recycling drop off place that I go to that accepts "yard waste" that I already pick through for wood to use in my smoker...So I should have no problem getting more than enough stock to turn for all kinds of things...The more I'm researching the more I'm wondering if I should go with the Jet 1220  without variable speed instead of the 1014 with VS.   My decision would be a lot easier if someone posted a good lathe on craigslist for a steal of a price...

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2010 at 6:28pm

Jake, I have the 1220VS and love it.  I am now officially spoiled by the VS.  I don't think I have changed belts more than 6 or 8 times in the 18 months I have had it.  I don't think I would ever buy another lathe without VS.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

ddt frederick holsclaw
WR Addict

beam me up scotty

earth i think (aka lathekiller, South Carolina, USA
earth i think (aka lathekiller
South Carolina
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 4:34pm

another lathe to look at is the new delta 12 in or if you can waite for a sale a nova 1624 is a very good lathe
the 1624 is not vera speed it is belt change  and only takes a few seconds   but of all the lathes try and stay away from reeves drive
to much main.  like a trophy wife

just making toothpicks

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2010 at 1:58pm

ddt frederick holsclaw wrote on Jan 9th, 2010 at 4:34pm:
another lathe to look at is the new delta 12 in or if you can waite for a sale a nova 1624 is a very good lathe
the 1624 is not vera speed it is belt change  and only takes a few seconds   but of all the lathes try and stay away from reeves drive
to much main.  like a trophy wife

My father has a Delta and loves it, and a Nova would be sweet, but they are both out of my budget.  I just noticed Sears raised the price on the Jet 1014 VS to $626.77...that kills my idea of buying that lathe with gift cards...The Rikon 12x16 without VS comes in under what I was looking to spend.  I have not  read anything bad about the Rikon mini's...Should I have???

IP Logged

Roger_Smith
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

North Alabama, Alabama, USA
North Alabama
Alabama
USA

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 8:06am

Welcome and you may want to check out Woodcraft.  They list the Jet VS1014 for $430.

If you attempt to be acceptable to all people, then you are special to none.
WWW overtrim1 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&  
IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 1:08pm

Roger_Smith wrote on Jan 14th, 2010 at 8:06am:
Welcome and you may want to check out Woodcraft.  They list the Jet VS1014 for $430.

I see that, and there is a location 15 minutes from my house...maybe I should ask for gift cards for there.  I'm wondering if having a Jet 1014 with VS is $130 more important than a Rikon1216 without VS.  Undecided

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 1:43pm

Jake Respondek wrote on Jan 14th, 2010 at 1:08pm:
Roger_Smith wrote on Jan 14th, 2010 at 8:06am:

I see that, and there is a location 15 minutes from my house...maybe I should ask for gift cards for there.  I'm wondering if having a Jet 1014 with VS is $130 more important than a Rikon1216 without VS.  Undecided

YES

i have the jet 1014VS and love it.  with a twist of the knob, i can change speed on the fly.  very rarely do i have to change the belt.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 6:31pm

Welcome,I have the Ricon and love it.Your more than welcome to come up to Tampa and give it a spin.Always like meetin other turners.

IP Logged

Roger_Smith
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

North Alabama, Alabama, USA
North Alabama
Alabama
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 11:39pm

Jake, when you go to Woodcraft ask them if they are going to swap or replace the lathes in their training room.  They did this in birmingham a couple of years ago and the old lathes sold for about $100. 

Good luck to you.

If you attempt to be acceptable to all people, then you are special to none.
WWW overtrim1 http://www.facebook.com/#/profile.php?ref=profile&  
IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 15th, 2010 at 8:08pm

Ken Ward wrote on Jan 14th, 2010 at 6:31pm:
Welcome,I have the Ricon and love it.Your more than welcome to come up to Tampa and give it a spin.Always like meetin other turners.

That is awesome...I've only turned 3 pens so I doubt that I would really know what feeling/liking about a lathe yet...In other words I don't have any tools, and would probably feel pretty uncomfortable using yours but maybe sometime when you plan on turning something I could come watch you and have you show me what you like about it.  I'll send you a private message with my cell phone, call anytime.  Thank you!

Roger_Smith wrote on Jan 14th, 2010 at 11:39pm:
Jake, when you go to Woodcraft ask them if they are going to swap or replace the lathes in their training room.  They did this in birmingham a couple of years ago and the old lathes sold for about $100. 

Good luck to you.

I REALLY like the sounds of that...I'll go ask this weekend!
Thank you!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print