Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Hello from St Pete Florida (Read 3,372 times)

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Re: Hello from St Pete Florida
Reply #15 - Jan 16th, 2010 at 5:47pm

Hi Jake and welcome,

I miss the VS but I do 90% of my turning at one speed anyway so not a biggy for me and I am still tickled with my jet 1220...
paid $440 at woodcraft for it last aug.

Speaking as one of those go cheap first, second and third don't do it...!!!!! Spend a few extra bucks right up front and enjoy life. Rather then going cheap and having to go to confession twice a week for impure thoughts..

Brad

IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #16 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 11:19am

Brad_Mortensen wrote on Jan 16th, 2010 at 5:47pm:
Hi Jake and welcome,

I miss the VS but I do 90% of my turning at one speed anyway so not a biggy for me and I am still tickled with my jet 1220...

Speaking as one of those go cheap first, second and third don't do it...!!!!! Spend a few extra bucks right up front and enjoy life. Rather then going cheap and having to go to confession twice a week for impure thoughts..

Brad

Thanks for input on VS.  I agree about the not going cheap deal.  Ken graciously offered to allow me to come check out his Rikon.  I haven't been able to find anything online negative about the Rikons and the price is really good on their mini at Sears so I'll check his out and go from there.

Does anyone have any bad experiences with Rikons they would like to share???

edit: I just found a few rather negative reviews of the Rikon, although the reviews were from a few years ago...Maybe quality control has been improved?
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2010 at 11:36am by Jake Respondek »  

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

IP Logged

andylasslett

I LOVE WR!!!

Gillette, Wyoming, USA
Gillette
Wyoming
USA

Reply #17 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 7:08pm

Hey jake welcome towr Im kinda new around here myself your goona love all the info you get outta these guys here. I wholehearteedly agree about the lathe choice I bought a cheapie and am already looking to upgrade coulda saved some cash by spending more int the first place. Thats awesome you have a woodcraft that close to your house, hope you uhave good self control. Happy Turning!!!!

IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #18 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 7:32pm

Jake Respondek wrote on Jan 18th, 2010 at 11:19am:
Brad_Mortensen wrote on Jan 16th, 2010 at 5:47pm:
Hi Jake and welcome,

Brad

Thanks for input on VS.  I agree about the not going cheap deal.  Ken graciously offered to allow me to come check out his Rikon.  I haven't been able to find anything online negative about the Rikons and the price is really good on their mini at Sears so I'll check his out and go from there.

Does anyone have any bad experiences with Rikons they would like to share???

edit: I just found a few rather negative reviews of the Rikon, although the reviews were from a few years ago...Maybe quality control has been improved?

Welcome Jake.

That line I highlighted in bold leads me to think you're trying to convince yourself the lathe you can obtain for the price you want to spend right now will serve your purpose, and serve you well. In my experience, with any tool, that's usually a mistake. Buy the best you can afford right out of the shoot because you'll probably end up doing that anyway, and you'll be out the money you spent on the cheaper tool. I think that theory is especially true in wood turning, because of the learning curve involved. It's hard enough to acquire the necessary skills when everything works right, and almost impossible when your tools malfunction.

Good luck!

IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #19 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 9:35am

OK OK, I get it.  I'm a tightwad by nature so sometimes I have to fight myself to spend money.   I will let all my loved ones know to get me woodcraft gift cards, not Sears, because it looks like they have one of the best selections and reasonable prices.   From the start of my research I've really like what I've read about the Jet 1014 VS, so I think I'll go with my gut, even if it means not getting it as soon as I would like.

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 2:59pm

Woodcraft in clearwater usually has a sale about the 1st of mar.15% off on everything(I think) Thats when I usually go when I plan on spending a lot.Adds up when you plan on spendind a few hundred bucks,may be well worth the wait.

IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 5:23pm

Ken Ward wrote on Jan 19th, 2010 at 2:59pm:
Woodcraft in clearwater usually has a sale about the 1st of mar.15% off on everything(I think) Thats when I usually go when I plan on spending a lot.Adds up when you plan on spendind a few hundred bucks,may be well worth the wait.

Yep, I emailed the store manager and asked if they were going to have any demo/classroom lathes for sale anytime soon.  He said they just sold them all a few months ago.  But he said they are having a power tool sale starting this Friday through Feb 27th.  So it looks like you get to go shopping a little earlier this year!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #22 - Jan 19th, 2010 at 5:29pm

Which one you gettin ??? I love my Ricon,but gotta sat that 1220 is nice.

IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #23 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 9:19am

Ken I'm not sure, I was thinking the 1014 VS...But then someone answered my wanted ad on craigslist with this...
"Hey, the lathe is about 6 years old, in good condition. It has a few stains from finishing ( wood finish dripping on it). I am including the standard attachments: Drive center, live center, back plate and tool rest. Plus extra attachments: Bowl turning rest, custom 12" tool rest, 1/2" Jacobs chuck and a few turning tools, everything to start turning immediately. The jet lathe is built very solid and heavy, about 80 lbs and works as good as new. I paid $350.00 new plus the extras, I'm asking $180.00 I live in Clearwater.
I just added a custom brass knob to the tailstock handwheel that the pics don't show."
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

My father recommended NOT buying a used lathe.  I think his thought was that since I don't know anything about lathes I might get something that's a piece of crap and wouldn't be under warranty.  But this seems like a pretty sweet deal.  What do you all think?  What should one look out for when buying used?  What would be a worst case scenario if I bought it, brought it home then found out something was faulty?

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #24 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 9:37am

This is a very good deal, its one I wouldn't pass up, but I'd want to see it run first. If you go and check it out slide the tail stock up to the dead center and check the alignment to make sure their point to point with both centers in place, then fire it up and listen for any strange sounds around the bearing/motor area. Also while its off check the threaded shaft in the head with your hand for wiggle or side to side movement in the bearings.

Its not a VS but Jet makes a very good lathe and for the price its a very good bargain with everything that comes with it that's for sure. The only thing missing is a 4 jawed self centering chuck to get a newbie started and for $180.00, this is a steal as long as the lathe run's and is in good shape!@!@!@!

It would be ideal for a beginner, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2010 at 9:39am by Mike Baber »  

Wizzy

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #25 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:56am

You could probably get Ken to go with you to check it out since has a little more experience with lathes.  But I wouldn't wait very long. It is definitely worth the $180, even if it needs a little work.

JimQuarles
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2010 at 11:56am by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #26 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:48pm

Ok, that does it.  I'm submitting my request to the boss to get approval for a cash expenditure immediately upon getting home from work.
Thanks for the input guys.

IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #27 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 1:58pm

I'd jump on that one Jake. Follow Wizzy's advice, and even if it has minor flaws, I'm sure you'll get your money back if you try to sell it. I've owned several Jet tools (table saw, jointer, band saw) for about 15 years, and asside from replacing switches I've had no problems.

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #28 - Jan 20th, 2010 at 10:15pm

I would be glad to go take a look at it with you Jake,I just Pm'd you my Cell.be glad to help out if I can.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jake Respondek

WR Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 4:45pm

Ken Ward wrote on Jan 20th, 2010 at 10:15pm:
I would be glad to go take a look at it with you Jake,I just Pm'd you my Cell.be glad to help out if I can.

I wish I would have seen this earlier...I'm heading out the door to take a look at it in a few minutes.  If there is anything that just doesn't seem right with it I'll give you a call so we can go take a look together.  I really appreciate the offer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print