Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re-Introduction and Question (Read 743 times)

Zachary Wheat

WR Rocks!

Re-Introduction and Question
Jan 14th, 2010 at 12:05pm

Two part post:

First: I am re-introducing myself as I have not been around for a very long time. My name is Zach and am from Omaha, NE. I got into pens for a while and while I still like doing that, I want to get into bowls/hollow forms now (if I can find the $$$ to do it  Smiley). Also, my wife and I had our first child so that took ALOT of time away from everything. But now I hope to get some turning done this coming spring, as the shop is a little cold right now.

Second: For some smaller hollow forms (10" is the swing I have), what tooling should I get? I figure I'll just use a waste block to attach it to the faceplate? But I'm not real familiar with the "special" tools I will need to hollow it out.

Thanks,
Zach

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Re: Re-Introduction and Question
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 12:09pm

Hi Zach,

Sorry I know nothing about this topic, but I had to ask you why you do not have glass in your spectacles ????? Grin

Love the Avitar

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Zachary Wheat

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 12:13pm

Ha! Never noticed that. He was my fantasy football "mascot" this least year.

IP Logged

andylasslett

I LOVE WR!!!

Gillette, Wyoming, USA
Gillette
Wyoming
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 12:30pm

Zach
     Impretty new myself and ive been trying a couple hollow forms myself and found i dont have the right stuff to do anything bigger then about 3 to 4 in. deep so heres what im going order with my tax return. Dont know if this what your looking for but these were my thoughts for stuff i need.Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
and im going to make me one of these
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
The steady rest Ill make of course a little for my mini but thats what I thought i would need to do the types of hollow forms i would like to do. The easy finisher isnt something i need but thats what i told my wife so im sticking to it if ya get me.. Wink smiley=thumbsup.gif
Hope this helps a little....Andy P.S. If you look around in the tips section i think theres a thing about making some of your own hollowing tools I made a couple of my own with some old screwdrivers that work ok as long as i take my time with an easy touch. If you dont have a jaw chuck I bought this one and it works great Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
And this live center works better for the bottom of the hollow forms i did easier to get you parting tool in closer when finishinf the bottom Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Whew!!!! I need a nap now.....See Ya!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print