Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New video: Skew Practice session (Read 3,832 times)

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

New video: Skew Practice session
Jan 24th, 2010 at 11:31pm

I have had quite a few requests for a video on using the skew chisel, which I have been a bit reluctant to do because I feel that I am barely adequate with a skew chisel and am definitely not the right person to be advising anyone else on its use. I did record a practice session and it mainly points out that I really need more practice....   It is long and repetitive, just like my practice session. I hope someone finds if helpful.

The playlist is available at: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care
Bob
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2010 at 12:43am by Bob Hamilton »  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Re: New video: Skew Practice session
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 4:22am

That's my evening entertainment sorted today!  Actually, I saw these being uploaded to YouTube last night from about 1am on and couldn't stick it...I had to watch the first three but, at 2am I tore myself away from the computer so that I would have some for tonight.  I'll watch the first three again this evening as a sort of prelude.

Thanks Bob, these are super.

Just remembered...my wife walked past when I was watching the first skew video and said "Oh, eye candy movies now...I suppose you were bound to get tired of the catalogues!"  Grin

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 5:01pm

so far i only watched #8 and i can't believe how easy you make that look.

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 6:53pm

Thanks, guys!

John, if you watch segment 4 you won't believe how difficult I can make it look....  Smiley

Bob

IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 8:17pm

hey bob,

another great set. i would love to see a companion video to this on how you sharpen your skew. i assume you go beyond the grinder, perhaps a water stone or diamond hone? whatever you do, it's working. so how about letting us in on your secret.

thanks,

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:20pm

Hi, Brian:
My sharpening set-up is a belt driven double ended mandrel running in pillow blocks.  On one end of the mandrel I have an 8" 80 grit wheel.  On the other end I have an 8" wheel made from 2 layers of 3/4" MDF glued together.  The motor that drives the mandrel is equipped with a reversing switch.  I grind the bevel on the 80 grit wheel and then reverse the rotation and hone the tool on the MDF wheel charged with honing compound.  I have an extra V arm and tilting table for my Oneway Wolverine jig so I can have both wheels set up at the same time and not have to change anything except the rotation when moving from one wheel to the other.

I am really reluctant to post pictures or video of my set-up because I have no guarding around either the wheels or the belt and I don't want to hear from someone that they tried to copy it and hurt themselves.  If I ever get around to cobbling together some kind of guards I may post more about it then.

Take care
Bob
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:20pm by Bob Hamilton »  
IP Logged

john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 9:58pm

have thought about putting in a honing set up too but read where they have to turn less than 800rpm. this true?

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 11:37pm

Hi, John:
That is the first time I have heard of that.  In Stu's video on using a honing wheel made of MDF he says that the honing disk has to turn faster than a slow speed grinder: 

That was the first time I had heard that, too.  Cheesy  My grinding wheel and honing wheel turn at ~2000 rpm.  I am not totally sure of the speed because the pulley I have on the motor end is a variable diameter pulley and I am not sure what the diameter is where the belt is riding.  It is a little bigger than the driven pulley but not much, and the motor is a 1725 rpm. TEFC motor that I had.

I had always used a 6" hard felt wheel as my honing wheel up until a few months ago when I made the MDF wheel.  The hard felt wheel holds the honing compound better but is resilient enough that it tends to round the bevel a bit.  That is not a problem if you re-grind every time you sharpen but if you want to just re-hone rather than grind, the bevel rapidly becomes too rounded for the tool to work properly.  The MDF wheel allows re-honing several times before grinding is necessary.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 8:02am

i'm not sure where i read it either. it was in a catalog that sold leather (i think) honing wheels and it stuck wjohn black cause i had wanted to mount a grinding wheel on one side and a honing wheel on the other side, walking around back to do the honing. i remember thinking well there goes another great idea shot to *&^%.  will try to find it again.

IP Logged

john black

WR Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 8:04am

" wjohn black".......where'd that come from? did i type that?

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 7:11pm

Bob,

I watched all 8 vids. last night, I especialy liked number 4 and watched it SLOWLY to see what happened, this has helped me enormously to see what I do wrong, this is not a wind up, it realy has helped. The perfect bits that you show are of great help too. IMHO. this vid. is a winner. Thank you very much for taking the effort and time to produce it. Remember a vid. that shows no mistakes is probably a mistake. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 8:58pm

hey bob,

i understand. but don't feel bad i have seen several so called professionals that don't have guards either:
or look at the tormek Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register it's about the most expensive sharpener out there, and no guards. besides the part of the wheel we use obviously isn't guarded, and our fingers are just an inch or so away for the wheel. people want to give you a hard time about an eight inch grinder, how come it's no big deal that no one is using the guards on the 16in jets, or the 24 inch powermatics? besides bob, you already told us how it works. if i turn an open segment bowl, or a natural edge burl, and someone else tries it, and it flies apart. i would hope that they understand it is a risky project to begin with and would only hold themselves accountable. so i say go for it, afterall, isn't a dull tool (especially a skew) more dangerous that a sharp one?
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:00pm by brian higgins »  

IP Logged

Shannon Shanks

WR Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 12:02am

This is once again very useful. I watched it before when you had just posted it and managed to almost use a skew most of the time.

I really appreciate the way that you take the time to explain why things go wrong. It makes these very useful, especially for beginners.

Now that I have a lathe that doesn't have to be bolted to a wall to be semi-stable, I'm going to have to break out the skew and practice some more.

Shannon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print