Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New video: Sharpening my way (Read 2,190 times)

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

New video: Sharpening my way
Jan 28th, 2010 at 12:44pm

Hi:
I managed to put together some guards for the belt and grinding wheel on my sharpening station so I put together this video showing the way I sharpen MY lathe tools.  It is a method that works for me, YMMV.

A playlist is available at:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care
Bob

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
jim jones

WR Rocks!

Re: New video: Sharpening my way
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 1:35pm

another great video bob, im going to try, and make something like you built. what is the best RPM to run the grinding wheel at?   jim

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2010 at 5:48pm

Best?  I have no idea.  Mine turns at about 2150 rpm., I believe, but that is really just because that is the combination of pulleys I had.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

brian higgins

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2010 at 11:22pm

thanks bob,
that is excatly the video i have been waiting for. i have always thought that honing was overkill, but now i am sold on it. a few questions; instead of honing compound, can you use tripoli, or any of the other buffing compounds? also when do you add more compound, when you see the mdf?
                               brian

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 12:51am

Hi, Brian:
I really don't know much about the various abrasive compounds.  I was under the impression that Tripoli was a fairly coarse abrasive but the only experience I have with it is on my Beall buffs.  I have never used anything except the green stuff for honing so I can't say how they compare.

When to add more compound is sort of like when to change to a fresh piece of sandpaper.  It just seems to stop working as well so I put some more on.  I do think I need recharge more often with the MDF wheel than I did with the felt wheel.  I would say that I hone 3 or 4 tools before I feel like I need to add more compound, but it depends a bit on how much honing I do on each one.  If my angle is a bit off I might be honing on the heel and using up all the compound without ever improving the edge.  Smiley 

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print