Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Call for safe wood turning videos (Read 25,079 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Call for safe wood turning videos
Feb 6th, 2010 at 11:47am

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of woodturning videos on the internet. A person can find a video on how to learn just about any technique.

Problem is there are videos out there that are down right dangerous. I've seen videos where a person can easily injure themselves or ruin their expensive tools.

Lets make Woodturner's Resource the place where a new or experienced turner to turn to to a wealth of safe woodturning videos.

If you know of a great video, please add it here.

If you are not sure that the video is safe, add it here and ask for a review.
If it is deemed unsafe it will be deleted.

If you see a video that is listed on our forum that is unsafe, please either contact one of the staff or post a message in the thread saying why it is dangerous.

To add a video:
Start a new thread.
Look for and click on Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Add the URL between the media tags like this
Code:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWQuLi7LDaM[/media] 

Here's a tip.

With YouTube videos, everything past and including the & can be deleted.

Open For Comments

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Re: Call for safe wood turning videos
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 7:01pm

Sounds good. We just can't get that guy that uses the "straightener outer" or his other tools.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2010 at 7:01pm by Chuck Beland »  

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 7:09pm

He took it down Chuck, I had it on my Favs and it's gone.  I think it had something to do with the comments that were left Grin

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 7:12pm

Bre,
Good cause he was going to get someone hurt the way he was turning if they copied him.

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2010 at 8:02pm

In that case, it might be good to discuss what practices are very unsafe, mostly unsafe, sort of unsafe, etc. I've only watched the videos here and from people who have contributed here. I usually only go to YouTube to see great skiff crashes and such.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 7:47am

Robert,
any of the videos from here or suggested by a member from here would give you safe practices to use. Mostly if it don't feel right for any reason STOP then try to figure out why it don't feel right. Common sense goes a long way.

IP Logged

Eric Geist

Here's my wallet- show
me the wood

Loveland, Colorado, USA
Loveland
Colorado
USA

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:32am

I think it is a great idea to start a discussion what can be deemed at various levels of safety. One example might be the use of cloth to apply a finish. some on here have used methods that they feel very safe with, while others would never use cloth. Of course, Chuck mentioned the biggest rule - if it doesnt feel right, don't do it. A discussion however might point out something that others are doing that they hadn't considered

Loveland, CO

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 3:03pm

I don't think using a cloth to put a finish on is all that bad as long as you don't wrap it around a finger.  Some of the heavier paper towels used by some won't tear fast enough if it gets caught either.  I use gloves to turn sometimes but for some that is a big no no.  They are tight to my hands and have a velcro strap at the wrist.  I consider this safe but to others maybe totally unsafe.  My turning jacket has vecro strap at the wrist as well.  What are some of the things you guys do that you find safe but others may not.

BTW Chuck, sometimes I use the staightener outer but I usually use the rounder when I turn bowls.  Then I use the rotory smoothing tool thing but I turn on my duster taker outer first.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 3:55pm

This is a great idea.

I only had on line videos to watch, to learn woodturning and ended up doing some ( I realise now ) realy stupid things and am very lucky to not have been injured. ( I live a very long way from anyone really ).

Some well known turners have a large selection of tutorials, would it be possible to name these, as safe turners, or would that make those, not named, think that WR were saying that they are in the UNsafe catagory.

Oh why do I make things so complicated.... Lips Sealed

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 3:56pm

Hi:
Personally, I think that there is perhaps as much to be learned from the "unsafe" videos as the "safe" ones.  They are certainly likely to spark a much longer and more informative thread, although there is always the danger of the thread devolving into a flame war between those who think the particular technique is highly dangerous and those who don't.  At the very least the ensuing discussion will give new turners added insight into why some practices are considered dangerous and alternative methods that can be used.

Then there is the problem of "who decides?"  I saw a posting  titled "Scary" in one non-woodturning forum I frequent that referenced my video on turning a ball & cup toy.  The poster was outraged that I used my thumb in a trailing position on top of the turning cylinder to check to see if it was completely down to round as well as a couple of other points that I still don't see any problem with.  If he were in charge of deciding then there wouldn't be any woodturning videos because he could always find something he considered dangerous.  By the same token there are quite likely things I do that I am comfortable with that many would consider at least risky if not outright dangerous.

I am just not sure if "deleting" the videos is the best course.  Flagging controversial videos in some fashion and encouraging discussion of the offending points might be more educational.  If you see me or anyone else in a video doing something that gives you concern please post a question in the thread to get a discussion started.

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 4:03pm

All good points Bob.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 4:33pm

A well thought out response Bob.

I am looking forward to many a months worth out of this thread, also a great deal of learning, no doubt. I still cut corners and no doubt do plenty of risky things, so I for one need to be reminded/told/taught the dangers.

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:09pm

Bob Hamilton wrote on Feb 7th, 2010 at 3:56pm:
Hi:
Personally, I think that there is perhaps as much to be learned from the "unsafe" videos as the "safe" ones.  They are certainly likely to spark a much longer and more informative thread, although there is always the danger of the thread devolving into a flame war between those who think the particular technique is highly dangerous and those who don't.  At the very least the ensuing discussion will give new turners added insight into why some practices are considered dangerous and alternative methods that can be used.

Then there is the problem of "who decides?"  I saw a posting  titled "Scary" in one non-woodturning forum I frequent that referenced my video on turning a ball & cup toy.  The poster was outraged that I used my thumb in a trailing position on top of the turning cylinder to check to see if it was completely down to round as well as a couple of other points that I still don't see any problem with.  If he were in charge of deciding then there wouldn't be any woodturning videos because he could always find something he considered dangerous.  By the same token there are quite likely things I do that I am comfortable with that many would consider at least risky if not outright dangerous.

I am just not sure if "deleting" the videos is the best course.  Flagging controversial videos in some fashion and encouraging discussion of the offending points might be more educational.  If you see me or anyone else in a video doing something that gives you concern please post a question in the thread to get a discussion started.

Take care
Bob

I like this approach best. A lot can be learned even from watching someone do something "wrong". The ensuing conversation will enlighten a novice (or ill advised veteran), not only that something is "wrong" or "dangerous", but why.

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 9:53am

In my life's experience, I've found it just as valuable to know what not to do as it is to know what to do, if not more so. I don't think we do anyone any favors by isolating them from someone else's mistakes or unsafe behavior. We should, I feel, point out what is not safe and why. Some think that if we don't show certain things, then people won't know they exist or try them out. I've never found this to be the case. Somehow someone either learns something wrong or stumbles into it.

I'd be OK with marking topic or videos as being unsafe with a full disclaimer why.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

TomTunget
WR Addict

Praise God for creativity!

CaveCreek, AZ, Arizona, USA
CaveCreek, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:16pm

There are many different styles of turning and there are some outright dangerous ones! It is hard for someone new to discern which are safe and without guidance, they may learn bad practices at the least.

Ive seen videos where the turner was totally confident in their ability but I just shook my head. I think that discussion of added videos is a good idea as a minimum and possibly a probationary status until they were deemed "Approved" by WR staff or enough members.

What Robert said is true, that seeing how not to do things can be an aid also.

We wouldn't allow garbage to be served on the table,
why would we allow it to be served to our minds?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print