Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Video: Cutting techniques: cross grain spindle (Read 1,539 times)

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

New Video: Cutting techniques: cross grain spindle
Feb 11th, 2010 at 12:44pm

Hi:
I have uploaded a short video series about spindle turning on a piece of wood that is oriented as a face grain turning.  The question arose when a fellow glued up a laminated block to use to make a new front knob for his hand plane and was having trouble getting a good cut due to the grain direction.

The playlist is available at:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Alan Dick
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Buffalo, New York, USA
Buffalo
New York
USA

Re: New Video: Cutting techniques: cross grain spindle
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 5:35pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for another great video.  I have been turning about a year and have learned a lot from watching your videos.  I have a question for you. 

I noticed that most of the cuts that you did in this video were done in traditional spindle fashion, cutting down hill from large diameters to small.  But I was wondering, since this is cross grain, why not cut like you would the outside of a bowl going from small diameters to large? 

I certainly cannot question your results, as you got a great finish, and I realize that all of the "rules" do not have to be followed all of the time, but would it make sense to cut it that way even though this  is is a spindle?  Or is my lack of experience showing?  Undecided

Alan

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 12:02am

Hi, Alan:

Short answer:  I don't know.  Cheesy 

I really never thought about it.  I'll have to give it a try next time I am out in the shop.  It may just be that when I saw a "dowel" shape between centers I automatically cut it as a spindle, always downhill.

Good question.
Bob

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 10:02am

Alan you are correct.
There is nothing wrong with the method Bob used. The only thing is that you put yourself at a higher risk of a  chipout.
Everyone is different, I would have treated this just like a small bowl.

IP Logged

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2010 at 11:27pm

Well, I tried it this morning and I have to say the results were mixed.  I found it very difficult to establish a bevel supported cut going uphill on this small diameter and when I did get the cut going well I had trouble keeping the movement smooth enough to leave an unrippled surface.  The wood did cut cleanly for the most part although there did seem to be a few torn fibers at the top of the "bead" where the cut was fading out. 

Take care
Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print