Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Different NE bowl (Read 1,675 times)

Rick Hutcheson

WR Rocks!

Different NE bowl
Mar 5th, 2010 at 4:21pm

I just added a video of how to make these on my web site. About a 12 minute video so it takes awhile to download, but I think it is worth it. It has been edited to make it shorter so it moves fast through how it is done.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2010 at 9:34am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Re: Different NE bowl
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 10:10am

Thanks Rick, nice job

I was looking at your video and about 5 minutes into it I see you are hanging your gouge over the tool rest pretty far.

I would suggest angling the tool rest so the far end is closer to the center, making sure the blank clears the rest before starting the lathe.

A curved tool rest would also be helpful if you had one.

IP Logged

James Barley

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 4:06pm

I second Ron's suggestion, pull the toolrest back so the backend is near the center, this lets you keep the rest much closer to the piece.
Watching that video brought back some not so fond memories of my own learning experiences.

ROFL: (Rolling on the floor laughing.) Typically used by people who are too lazy to press the rest of the keys on their keyboard needed to communicate in English.
IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2010 at 5:56pm

Thanks Rick for the video, I must have a go at that one,  but maybe a bit safer way, your tool control problem was, as already said, probably due to hanging over the tool rest so far, maybe a lesser angle on the gouge aswell, to take the bend easier without hitting the spinning Bowl.

I do not mean to critisise, as I am pretty new to woodturning, just trying to help.

The end product was really good though, great job. Thanks again. smiley=dankk2.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Rick Hutcheson

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 8:40am

You mention control problem. Yes there is some since I normally put the camera in where I should be standing. That way the video shows what the turner sould be seeing. That also means I have to stand to the side of the turning to do the work. So some tool control may be noticed in my videos, but I think they show the process better than many videos  that are taken from 4-5 feet from the lathe from just the end or above the lathe.
I will be watching for your videos showing the better methods you use so I can learn from them.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2010 at 8:40am by Rick Hutcheson »  

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 2:21pm

Rick, I agree that your video was much better angled than many that I have watched and again, thank you for posting it, I learned from it and will be trying one myself soon. smiley=dankk2.gif

I only added a little critique to assist with safety,now that I understand the reason, I obviously understand why it was happening. As I said the end product I like a lot, so please do not stop posting anything just because of a little constructive critique, I get lots of it and it helps me a lot. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=dankk2.gif

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print