Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nova 1624 - adding variable speed (Read 8,453 times)

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Nova 1624 - adding variable speed
Mar 8th, 2010 at 8:17pm

Converting Nova 1624 to variable speed drive.

My goal was to do the upgrade for under $500.  And I wanted the upgrade to be a two-way street, I wanted to be able to reinstall original motor if necessary.  I wanted to use the original motor sheave so I’d have 8 speed ranges to choose from.  I had 230V single phase in my shop and couldn’t upgrade to 3phase so wanted a VFD with single phase input.

The tech support at automationdirect.com was very helpful.  They answered a number of ‘amateur’ questions and helped me select the equipment.  The total price on motor, motor mount, and variable frequency drive was $379 delivered.  I spent another $50 for accessory items and the homebuilt small remote box.

I started my conversion planning by choosing the motor.
Specs:
2hp (A 1.5hp motor was almost the same price – and VFDs don’t usually come sized for 1.5hp so I’d be buying the 2hp VFD anyway).
1800 rpm
3phase – 230V  (VFD operation requires 3ph)
Mount with a CFace (to match up with the existing Nova motor mount).
Shaft diameter of .875inch (7/8 inch) to fit Nova motor sheave.  (I considered this very important as I really wanted use the original motor belt sheave combo.)
Physical size and weight approximating Nova original motor.  (Same diameter motor case  so motor would fit beside the T-handle belt adjustment slider.)

AutomationDirect.com
MTC-002-3BD18 AC MOTOR 2HP 1800RPM 208-230/460VAC 3PH IRONHORSE, CAST IRON 145T 1 $137.00 68.0
  MTA-CFACE-140TC C-FACE KIT FOR 143T AND 145T MOTORS REPLACES DRIVE END BELL, FIELD INSTALL 1 $11.00 6.0
(You can also purchase motor with Cface mount preinstalled.  They were out of stock when I ordered  MTC-002-3BD18CK  $158).
Online Manual for motor Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I did not purchase a more expensive “inverter duty rated” motor.  Tech support told me I just didn’t need it for the light duty usage I would be putting this motor to on a wood lathe. 

Then I speced the VFD – based on the hp rating of the new motor.

AutomationDirect.com
  GS2-22P0 GS2 2.0 HP AC DRIVE 230V 1/3 PH IN 3 PH OUT 1 $241.00 3.68
Online manual for VFD
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
This unit is the bottom end of prices for a 2hp drive that can use single-phase input.

I didn’t purchase a more expensive “vector sensorless” VFD because I would also need the “inverter rated” motor.  The small variable loads we put on these motors doesn’t require a sophisticated speed control system.  Leave the expensive stuff for the factory floor.

First uninstall the old motor mount from lathe.  Put the belt at a middle position on the sheaves and it will help hold the motor while uninstalling.  First remove the visible small screws holding the red endplate on.  Then move motor to full up position and remove small screw revealed at bottom of endplate.  Then set motor back on belt and remove the back large nut and the slider plate with T handle.  This will reveal the final small screw, in the slot of the motor mount at the back.  Take off the red endplate, then remove other large nut and slide motor off.  It’s heavy so handle with care.

Important – measure the distance between the large end of the sheave and the motor mount plate.  Mine measured .36 inch (got good use out of $10 ebay digital caliper on this project).   Loosen set screw on sheave and use small wood wedges to lightly pry sheave away from motor.  Pry equally on all sides.  My sheave freed up easily.

Remove 8 flat head cap screws which hold motor to mount.

To install new CFace motor you will be using the 4 larger holes in the motor mount.  You will need to purchase four 3/8x16 x 1/14” flat head cap screws.  I mounted my motor upside down, with the mounting feet (which are not used in this application) on the top side to use as mounting point for the VFD.  (I did give the motor a coat of Rustoleum grey metallic spray – it really spruced it up.)

The only spec I couldn’t match was the size of the shaft key, the square piece which fits into a slot on the motor shaft and also in a slot in the sheave.  The Nova motor key was .245” and the Ironhorse was .188” – so with a file and dremel I cut a “T” shape into a new ¼” key, the lower leg of the T was .188” width and matched the motor shaft and the wider top of the T was .245” to fit in the sheave.   (I forgot to take a picture of this.)

Also, the new motor shaft was a real .875inch and the original Nova sheave was slightly undersize.  So I used a round sanding cylinder mounted in a drill press to ease the inside of the sheave.  Work carefully so you keep it in round.  The difference was so slight that I was afraid that having the sheave bored out to 7/8inch would oversize the hole.  This was the only fussy part of the project. Everything else just fit together.  Be sure to match the distance between sheave and motor mount that you measured earlier (.36").

Part 2 in next message
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:00pm by Steve Harder »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1840_rs.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1843_rs.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1846_rs.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1848_rs.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Re: Nova 1624 - adding variable speed - Part 2
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 8:18pm

I choose to mount the VFD at the motor to keep motor leads short and well shielded.  But the VFD does have a removeable keypad, so you could locate VFD chassis on the wall and locate the keypad at the lathe (requires a $45 extension cord.).  The VFD does have a somewhat noisy fan. The VFD will kill any AM radio within 15ft.  But it hasn’t bothered my internet router and Directv switch, which are both located with 5 ft of my lathe.

I plan to build a small remote box with run/stop, fwd/rev, and speed control.  I’ll place this box and an emergency stop switch at the tailstock end of the lathe so I can start/stop without crossing the “line of fire”.  The VFD keypad has soft “pushy” buttons.  I wanted larger flip toggle switches and knob for my remote control.  Total cost of remote box is $25.

You’ll need some experience with electrical projects to feel comfortable wiring the VFD.  Nothing too tricky, you just need to get it right.  The terminals on the VFD are small for the #12 wire, use short bare ends and be sure you get a solid connection.  I used an air conditioner disconnect switch on the input of the VFD.  Turning off when not using lathe will help protect against line surges and lightning strikes.  I also put an outlet and plug on the power cord to the VFD.  I like to see an unplugged cord before doing maintenance.  You DO NOT put any disconnect between the VFD output and the motor.  You can damage the VFD if you were to disconnect the motor from the VFD during operation.

Be sure to follow motor wiring diagram – 230V operation.

This was my first experience operating and programming a VFD.  The manual was fairly helpful – quite a few examples using typical setups.  Just read thru the manual once (twice) before you turn on unit for first time.

It took about 5 minutes to enter the motor parameters and I was up and running.  VFD has a nice feature – a scaling factor.  If you take the trouble to enter one parameter every time you change the belt to a different speed range you will see actual lathe rpm displayed for that belt setting.

Running “non-inverter rated” motors at low speeds for long time will cause heat buildup that can damage the motor.  Motor specs tell me I can safely run this motor all day in a speed range between 900rpm and 2700rpm (VFD will allow you to run motor above normal rpm). 

At lowest belt setting I’ll have a range of 107 – 321 rpm.
Highest belt would give me 720 – 3600 (I don’t think I’ll try to push the Nova to the 5400rpm that overspeed would give me.)

And for short periods or with low loads (spinning a piece for sanding) I can get down to 42rpm on the lowest belt.

I’m betting I’ll rough out big bowls on the low belt and then jump up a couple notches to range of 342–1026 or 510-1530.

Feel free to contact me for further info – it was a fun and rewarding project.  I purchased Nova on sale for $1K with chuck and bed extension.  So with this investment I’ve got a swivel head lathe with VFD for $1500.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1849_rs.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1853_rs.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1854_rs.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register IMG_1855_rs.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Re: Nova 1624 - adding variable speed
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:14pm

Looks like a great upgrade, Steve.  smiley=thumbsup.gif  Well done.

For your remote control box, I'd highly recommend using a box with magnets on it so you can place it in a variety of locations. I just have a magnetic remote on-off switch for my Powermatic, and I use it much more than I use the main power switch on the front panel of the lathe. I often have the remote stuck on the bed of the lathe right by the banjo. I can just drop my right hand and hit the switch.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:22pm by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:28pm

Vaughn McMillan wrote on Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:14pm:
For your remote control box, I'd highly recommend using a box with magnets on it so you can place it in a variety of locations.

That's why I bought that stack of 50 rare earth magnets on ebay.

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:39pm

Looks like you got it goin there,but now you got me thinkin,I have the 1624 and was givin that some thought.let me know how it works when all is done.
PS where you from?ain't near NC are ya  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2010 at 10:00pm by Ken Ward »  

IP Logged

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 9:54pm

Nope - I'm in Iowa.

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2010 at 10:04pm

Thanks Steve,I may give that a try when I get back to NC.i live in Tampa during the winter then back to NC in April,thats where I have the Nova.Oh and thanks for taking all that time to put that on the forum here.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2010 at 4:56am

Thia is a excellent thread & well done.

Dave how about putting this in the TPT section?

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Jeff McDonald

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:14am

Well done Steve.  I have a 1624 as well and I would love to know how this does over time.  Keep us posted!
Jeff

Jeff McDonald
IP Logged

Bob Milton

Looking for a change I
decided to turn a round.

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:46am

Very well written. Your description of the conversion blows the doors off of a lot of professionally (so called) written procedures that I have had to deal with during my working career.
I'm just sorry that I don't have to make use of it. I have a DVR-XP and you essentially have one now also. Well done.
Drop a note in to let us all know how it works out after you have used it on a couple of larger bowls. One of the things that the DVR does is speed sensing and when I am using low speeds on bigger bowls I can still work with a fairly substantial cut without stalling the motor.

IP Logged

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:57am

Bob - I'll bet your DVR does a better job of smoothly controlling speed at low rpm while taking heavy cuts.  But I will be using a low belt setting on the 1624 - if I'm turning with lathe rpm of 100 the motor will be turning at 400 rpm so it won't bog down as much.  Not an apples to apples comparison.  And I'm still trying to tweak the "over-torque" and "over current" parameters to see if they can provide some of the same 'friendliness' that the DVR does if you have a major catch.  I'd be interested in your comments on the DVR and how it handles a major catch.

IP Logged

Bob Milton

Looking for a change I
decided to turn a round.

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 12:14pm

So far I have not had a "Major" catch at least not enough to cause the sensing to shut off the power to the motor. I did however try starting it with the spindle lock engaged  Shocked one time and discovered that it cuts out nicely. The largest bowl I have turned so far - outboard - started with a blank of about 18 or 19 in. Roughing this at low speed (sorry can't remember what I used) worked quite well. You are going to like the variable speed as you can slowly bring it up as your roughing gets closer to round. One of the things that I use the low speed (100 rpm) for is applying nitrocellouse sanding sealer with a brush. Works very well - cover the bed rails though.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 10:45pm

Excellent writeup -- with a little formatting this would be a classic addition to the "library" as a tech paper.   You have a good style of writing for this kind of material.   I do not have that brand, but loved the story!!!!

IP Logged

Bob Milton

Looking for a change I
decided to turn a round.

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:12pm

I agree Ken. This should be written up for all future members to consider as I mentioned earlier I have not seen many written procedures so well written.

IP Logged

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2010 at 8:58am

Ken Vaughan wrote on Mar 11th, 2010 at 10:45pm:
Excellent writeup -- with a little formatting this would be a classic addition to the "library" as a tech paper.   You have a good style of writing for this kind of material.   I do not have that brand, but loved the story!!!!

I appreciate everyones' comments, it makes my effort seem very appreciated. 

When the dust settles in a couple of weeks I'll take my articles, further thoughts and any replies that add content and put it all into a pdf that can go into the forum tips section.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print