Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do you finish sappy wood. (Read 1,379 times)

Herb Hoover

WR Rocks!

How do you finish sappy wood.
May 22nd, 2010 at 3:12pm

I found a cypress stump that has great burl but its pure fat wood full of sap.
I have roughed it out and need to finish it. Do I emerse it in DNA to remove the sap  , And how long would I emerse it? I guess my question is how do you finish sappy wood?  Thanks Herb
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2010 at 6:45pm by Herb Hoover »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: How do you finish sappy wood.
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2010 at 11:25pm

Shellac would be your best bet.  At least for the first coat or two.  Then you could move to your favorite finish.
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2010 at 11:26pm by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Supporter

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Re: Fat wood finish
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2010 at 8:13pm

About all you can do Walt is rough it out, seal the end grain and bag it for a few months. The alocohol soak could speed things up but it is just a matter of time for the sap to dry out...Bill..

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Re: Fat wood finish
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2010 at 8:58pm

Depending on the wood, I've seen sap stay sticky for years on some stuff, even kiln dried pine doesn't dry completely if it was cut in the summer and the same goes for some hard woods. Like Bill said... seal it and put it up for awhile, if its full of sap, figure 6 months to a year...  Sad

Wizzy

IP Logged

Paul Hinds

the Hobbit

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2010 at 6:33am

I have heard of, but am not familiar with, something called "shellac based knot sealer" that is specifically designed to prevent resin bleedthrough.

Paul (hobbithouse) Hinds
WOOD ID SITE: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
BOWLS: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
GLOSSARY: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Herb Hoover

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2010 at 8:06am

Thanks guys. Looks like I have some wood I should have used for a campfire. I couldnt resist the burl design in it. I had to use paint thinner on my gouges every few minutes to cut the sap off to continue cutting. Ill post a picture of it here today. The vase is 10"x5" Thanks again. smiley=thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2010 at 12:00pm by Herb Hoover »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register 100_3638.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Al Wasser
WR Devotee

WR Rocks!

Pueblo West, CO, Colorado, USA
Pueblo West, CO
Colorado
USA

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2010 at 9:48am

One of the guys here turns a lot of the beetle killed pine.  The Ponderosa Pine has large knots that are very pitchy.  After a demo I asked him how he finished the knots and he said he microwaved the bowl after it was turned to final shape/size.  Sorry but I don't have any specifics and even if I did it would likely not transfer to your situation but it you have have an old microwave you might do some playing

IP Logged

Herb Hoover

WR Rocks!

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2010 at 11:58am

Thanks for the microwave suggestion. I have been experimenting with the M.W. with great results.
  So far Iv DNA the wood for 24 hr's. Now I will let dry for 24 hr's and then try the microwave trick.
Iv had good results with the M.W. by setting the power range on 7 or 8 then 30 seconds and let cool between inteavals about 10 times or till its dry.  Thanks Herb
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2010 at 12:01pm by Herb Hoover »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brian Warner

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2010 at 10:32am

I definatly want to hear how this comes out. I get alot of cypress around here. the kees make beautiful pieces but they a hard to get dried and to accept a finish. The wood is VERY porous and for some reason, it soaks up the finish and then it never seems to dry. The best luck i have had so far is a good sanding sealer before any finish. Even then, it will have some spots that still seem gummy. The cypress knees spend most of the year if not all of it in the water so they take a long time to dry regardless of what you try to speed it up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print