WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: My Shop is on Acid
Reply #15 - Jun 9th, 2010 at 7:28pm

Hydrochloric acid fumes will cause corrosion very quickly on unprotected metal, just minutes.  I had a sealed bottle of Muratic acid (dilute Hydorchloric acid) in a plastic outdoor storage bench, and in less than 3 months it had caused the stainless steel screws to corrode enough that the threads didn't engage the plastic anymore.  They just fell out.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Dave Miller

Isn't it good Norwegian
wood!

Franklin, TN, Tennessee, USA
Franklin, TN
Tennessee
USA

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 12:02am

Đave Wendell wrote on Jun 9th, 2010 at 1:23pm:
I went through something similar not to long ago, except mine involved warm steel, a broken bottle of wine, and a very foggy night. 

I think we need to hear more about this story. Wink

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:18am

Leo Frilot wrote on Jun 9th, 2010 at 7:10pm:
Confused, what caused the rust? The fumes interacting with the metal? And how long did it take to rust like that?

Jim pretty much nailed it. The fumes are very caustic. I think humidity might also play a part, but it was probably only about 35% to 40% humidity here at the time. Not sure how long it took, but I noticed the rust about 24 hours after I'd found the spill and neutralized it with soda. When I cleaned up the spill, I opened up the garage doors and aired the place out, so I'm guessing the damage was done pretty quickly, and it just took me a day to notice it.

Interestingly, the corrosion followed a pattern as if it was sprayed in a mist and allowed to settle. Pretty much anything that was exposed raw metal corroded, but if anything was laying on top of it, it was protected, at least to some extent. In the pic I posted at the beginning of the thread showing my bandsaw table, you can see a couple of boring bars that had been sitting on the cast iron. When I moved them, you could see their outlines on the bandsaw table. The corrosion was also the worst closest to the source of the spill. But there was still corrosion on stuff in the farthest corner away from the spill.

Spent another couple hours tonight waxing and re-assembling everything I'd cleaned the night before. Now I can get busy and get back to work turning in there. I've got a show in a couple of weeks and still need to get some things done.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:19am by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:22am

Dave Miller wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 12:02am:
I went through something similar not to long ago, except mine involved warm steel, a broken bottle of wine, and a very foggy night. 

I almost think it'd be more fun if we made up the story to go with the description.   Roll Eyes  Maybe something to do with a bar fight on an aircraft carrier in London.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 9:29am

Vaughn, that's some pretty bad stuff. Its been awhile sense I heard that name and it sounded familiar so I pulled up its Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register sheet, that stuff can get pretty nasty if you get direct contact with it. Glad ya got everything cleaned up and back in business.

Wizzy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #20 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Vaughn,
I'm glad you got everything done. how's the elbow can you still use it??? I think you should go to the DR & tell him what happened just to make sure your lungs are in good order.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #21 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:26pm

Dave Miller wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 12:02am:

LOL, not much of a story.  Made a quick trip to the store with the wife one night to pick up a few things.  Thought a bottle of wine would be good with the cheese and crackers we were taking out to the chiminea.  Only 2 bags and the bottle, threw them on the back seat floor, when I got home the bottle was leaning on the door, it moved way faster than I as I opened the door.  Funny thing is the bounce it took off the nerf bar didn't do it in, but the cement floor....  Total waste of 12 bucks.  Decided to squeegee it out the garage door and mop the rest up.  Within 15 minutes rust on everything.

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #22 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:21pm

Đave Wendell wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 4:26pm:
... Within 15 minutes rust on everything.

That sounds like some pretty rock-gut stuff you had there. I think you need to start buying better wine, Dave.  Grin

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #23 - Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:30pm

Vaughn McMillan wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:21pm:

That sounds like some pretty rock-gut stuff you had there. I think you need to start buying better wine, Dave.  Grin

smiley=lolk.gif

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2010 at 4:24pm

Vaughn,
He just added food coloring to his moonshine.  Grin

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Andrew Henderson

circumstances dictate
procedure

Mills River,NC, North Carolina, USA
Mills River,NC
North Carolina
USA

Reply #25 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 6:12am

ARGH!!!!!!!   I feel your pain
why in the world do we keep things ???
I have a 35 gallon carboy of muriatic acid sitting out in my shed. its tc, nasty stuff and not your typical homeowner commodity. I'm not worried about theft as much as the acid and ensure the shed stays secured.
I have/had a metal cabinet that I kept a small container of sulfuric acid that came with a battery stored within. it tipped and leaked. Same thing, that familiar smell when I'd go out the back door...    time I found the cause it was too late.  tools, spare chainsaw chains, etc and the cabinet suffered.
Great thinking on your part to neutralize with the baking soda! glad you remembered to use caution when you did that and ventilated the area well. we only get one set of lungs. mixing most chemicals also releases vapors that are potentially hazardous.
sounds like you did about everything you could to clean/restore. If you find anything you missed later on maybe try some naval jelly. it worked pretty well on some of my tools.
yep, I knew better   just doesn't help, does it. bang head
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2010 at 6:14am by Andrew Henderson »  

when someone hurts you, write it in the sand so the winds of forgiveness can blow away the memory~

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #26 - Jun 14th, 2010 at 10:35pm

Thanks Andrew. Man, 35 gallons could make a huge mess.

I'm still finding little things to de-rust, like the screws holding the control panel on my lathe, and the shafts and screws on both of my Oneway bowl steady rests, but I've had a tub of Evapo-Rust going in the driveway for a week or so, and I just keep cycling things in and out of it. I did use Naval Jelly on my old Craftsman toolbox that took a direct hit from the leak. The Naval Jelly got the big stuff, but I ended up soaking the toolbox in my Evapo-Rust tub to get rid of the rest of it. I thought the toolbox was a goner, but it cleaned up just fine. Nice thing about the Evapo-Rust is that it doesn't also remove paint.

On a similar vein, I store all my glues in one of the closed cabinets in my shop. Something (I'm guessing it's the CA) puts off fumes in that cabinet that has caused all the chrome Euro hinges on the inside of the cabinet to rust badly. The hinges in all the other cabinets are fine, but the glue cabinet definitely has something going on.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2010 at 10:36pm by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Joey Nieves

WR Rocks! And so do I!

Reply #27 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 2:52pm

Vaughn:
Most of my tools where salvaged so I've been there.  I got a can of something called 929 from state chemicals that really works, it will remove the rust and leave your metal ready for work.
I take my saws and first remove the rust with the solvent then I sand them with my sander and wd-40 starting at 100 grit or 220 depending on the surface, and work my way up to 1000.  This gives me a nice mirror finish.  Then I apply a coat of SPW Formula 173™ Special Multi-Purpose Wax from state chemical ( it's also good for chisels and other tools you want to put away)
On my saws I've found that 3 or 4 coats of paste wax, not car wax, will last a very long time and will not allow moisture to penetrate.
It sounds like a lot of work, but it's worth it. Smiley

Joey

joselnieves@libertypr.net  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #28 - Jun 19th, 2010 at 6:30pm

Vaughn,  Remember that the 12 step program takes a long time to get someone off acid. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cool Cool

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Tony Mullins

Twit In Training.

Cape Girardeau, Missouri, Missouri, USA
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Missouri
USA

Reply #29 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 7:05am

Vaughn McMillan wrote on Jun 10th, 2010 at 5:21pm:

Ditto. That Mad Dog 20/20 has a tendency to rust anything. Usually it starts in the liver, and kidneys. How many bottles did you get for $12 Grin

" Firewood comes from folks who don't know what Anchor Seal is."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print