Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Google Search Plugin for WR (Read 8,857 times)

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Google Search Plugin for WR
Aug 18th, 2010 at 9:20pm

Hey again folks!

We got the kinks worked out, so here's take two.

This is an openSearch Plugin for your browser. Ron had a great idea of hosting it here on WR, so you don't even have to leave the page to install it!

Compatibilty:
Firefox 3.5.5

Internet Exploder 8.0.6001.18702

To install it, simply click the little down arrow next to your current search. (The upper right hand corner of your browser window, immediately to the right of the address bar.)

At the bottom of the list of searches, you'll see Add "Search WR Forums".

Click it and it will install automatically.

Using it is as simple as entering a Keyword and searching. It will run a google search for that keyword, but it will only search pages from WR.

I like this better than the built in search at the forums for several reasons. First, since it's not using the Forum's Servers, there is no flood control, and you can do as many searches as you want.

Also, there are over 1100 pages of the site indexed by Google, and it will show you all relevant pages in the results, whereas, with the Forum's Search, it maxes out at 25 results.

So there you go folks!
Happy searching!

Post here if you need any help with installing or using it.

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2010 at 3:57pm by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: Firefox Search Plugin for WR
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:14am

that was easy.  thanks smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:21am

That is brilliant!  And, perfect for computer experts like me who can barely find letters on the keyboard.

Thanks guys.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:31am

Grin Right on.

I'm thinking about doing a short video about how to install it and how to use it. Maybe a minute or two long.

Would anyone want that? Or is this easy enough?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:48am

Just so people understand, this is a FireFox plugin and will may not work on any other browser.

JimQuarles
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2010 at 11:30am by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:54am

Well, actually, it's an OpenSearch plugin, and it's supposed to work with OpenSearch compatible Browsers.

I just tested in in IE8, and whaddayaknow, it works there too. I'll go ahead and amend the title and description.

Check that. It doesn't actually work. I get an error message when I try to search with it. It seemed to install ok though.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's compatible with any other browsers or versions. I'm told that the OpenSearch compatibility was vastly improved with IE10, so I'll have to try it out on my MIL's computer. She's running Win7 with IE10. I'll report back.

Thanks Jim! I hadn't even thought about testing it in other browsers. If anyone is using Opera, Chrome, or anything else, feel free to report weather or not it works for you.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2010 at 1:22am by Mike Oyama »  

IP Logged

Jeff McDonald

WR Rocks!

Re: OpenSearch Browser Plugin for WR
Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:16am

Mike,
Sounds like a great feature but I don't have that option.  I am using Firefox 3.6.8.  Should it be viable for this version?
Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff McDonald
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:55am

I'm using the same version Jeff, its working for me.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks Mike

This works really well.
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:56am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:01pm

Awesome! I'm glad you guys are finding it to be useful. It's already really helped me find a bunch of great threads I might have otherwise missed.

Thank you for the Screenshots, Ron! I think that makes things plenty clear on how it should look when you install it.
Folks, if you take a look at that last screenshot that Ron posted, you'll see the very last option in the list says, "Manage Search Engines". Clicking that will bring up a box that lets you sort your search engines in the order you want, and delete the ones you don't want anymore.

Just an FYI For everyone new to the world of OpenSearch Plugins; Have a look at the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. There are tens of thousands of search plugins for just about every popular site. Most of the big sites have dozens of them for various custom searches, search in different languages, or searches targeting different language versions of the site. The nerd in me LOVES the Mycroft project.  Cool  (A couple of particular favorites are Ebay, Dictionary.com, Thesaurus.com, W3Schools, Creative Commons, and IMDB. )

As always, never hesitate to ask if you need any help with anything!

-Peace!

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:52pm by Mike Oyama »  

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:09pm

You mentioned to me somewhere else about the Mycroft project and about submitting our name. What are the benefits with mycroft?

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2010 at 12:51pm

Yeah, submitting it to the Mycroft Project is optional, but it's like a repository of every OpenSearch plugin.

It was born out of the Sherlock Search Standard from MacOS (hence the name "Mycroft"). There is a large community there that will independently test new submissions for compatibility and mark it as such with the proper icon.

You don't really need to submit the WR Search, since it's a really good bet that most of the people who would ever want to use it will have already discovered the site. So you wouldn't get much traffic generated from it being submitted.

As versions of browsers progress, compatibility might be an issue, so I'll probably want to do some testing and updating every now and then.

It's also possible to create separate OpenSearch Plugins for other browsers. (I've been reading about it now. lol)

Oh, I think Mycroft also makes it easy for non-programmer to create their own search plugin, without knowing how to code XML. They have a really nice submission form that allows you to enter relevant info directly into labeled text boxes. It will create the XML File based on your entries. Way easy for someone who doesn't know programming.

So, long story short, there's no real 'benefit' to submitting the WR Search, other than posterity, I suppose.  Wink

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Re: Google Search Plugin for WR
Reply #11 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 5:51pm

Thanks for posting this, Mike. I'm going to look into hosting the OpenSearch plugin on a vBulletin site I help run. I've added Google search to the forum search options *with pure blind hacking luck), but I'd like to set up OpenSearch like Ron has it here.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #12 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 5:55pm

Right on, Vaughn! It's really easy to do. I followed the example at the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. Just replace all the bold with your own info. You can host the file anywhere you want, and then just Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register tag to facilitate Auto-Discovery.

Let me know if you need any help with it!

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 11:57am

Works in FireFox 8 and IE9

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #14 - May 4th, 2012 at 8:00am

Works in FF12 and IE9

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print