Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turning a Captured Ring with a Skew (Read 2,200 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Turning a Captured Ring with a Skew
Oct 16th, 2010 at 7:36am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Turning a Captured Ring with a Skew
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 9:03am

Nicely done.  1 question, was he using that skew with point up or down?  I know he formed the bead with point up, but when he was undercutting the ring it was kind of hard to tell.  Looked at one point like it was down and another like it was up.  Or did he in fact do both?  I'm confused on this tool.  Then again, I not that confident with to begin with.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2010 at 9:19am

Doug, when he is rolling the bead the point is down.

IP Logged

Duff Bement

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 1:31pm

I am not sure I agree with what he said at the end of the video. He stated there was no way to sand or finish the ring once it is cut loose. What I do is just take a small piece of sandpaper and wrap it tightly around the spindle under the ring and put some tape on both ends. Then turn the speed down and turn on the lathe. You can move the ring back and forth as the sandpaper rotates between the ring and spindle. The one thing to make sure of is that you have sandpaper wrapped in the right direction or the edges can catch and tare. You can also do the same for finishing, only using a paper towel.
Does anyone agree or disagree?
How do you finish your rings?

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 1:35pm

Duff Bement wrote on Oct 18th, 2010 at 1:31pm:
I am not sure I agree with what he said at the end of the video. He stated there was no way to sand or finish the ring once it is cut loose. What I do is just take a small piece of sandpaper and wrap it tightly around the spindle under the ring and put some tape on both ends. Then turn the speed down and turn on the lathe. You can move the ring back and forth as the sandpaper rotates between the ring and spindle. The one thing to make sure of is that you have sandpaper wrapped in the right direction or the edges can catch and tare. You can also do the same for finishing, only using a paper towel.
Does anyone agree or disagree?
How do you finish your rings?

Yep, I learned that from Brendan in his Goblet video. And again from Jimmy Clewes.
That's how I finished the rings on both the goblet and the rattle.

Also, I like my dedicated ring tools. They allow me to get many more rings in a smaller space.

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 2:54pm

Mike,

Did you make ring tools?  And, did I already ask you to post a pic?  I have searched for one in related threads and can't find it but have a feeling we went over this ground before.  If not, could you post a pic please?

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:22pm

Yep, we chatted about it Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register. I just started working on making another tool. I'll make a thread in the tool section about that one after I try it out. I think Allen keys are going to work a lot better. I'm able to hold the key with this massive boring bar type of thing with set screws in the end. Way better than that weak little awl.

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 3:34pm

Ah, that's it Mike, thank you.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2010 at 10:08pm

I'm not positive, but I think the guy in the video was talking about sanding the outside of the ring.  The inside can indeed be sanded by adding some sandpaper to the spindle., but the outside will have to done by hand if separated before the sanding job is done.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Duff Bement

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2010 at 6:31am

OK that makes sense. But if your really good with a skew their shouldn't be any sanding right? smiley=lolk.gif And yes, I, stop and do my sanding before I cut ring loose. smiley=slap.gif

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print