Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
While the Shop was clean... (Read 2,865 times)

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA, Georgia, USA
Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Jet 1642
While the Shop was clean...
Oct 20th, 2010 at 1:53pm

Hello All -

Have been posting here for a couple of weeks now, and since I spent some time cleaning up the shop, I thought I would take some pictures.  These days I mostly turn as I have young children and time is limited, but I also like to do case work.  We just finished off the basement, and the last pic is a cherry build-in I completed last spring.

The shop is roughly a 12'x18' room in the basement with a small 4'x8' wing off the side for wood storage and the air compressor.  I expoxied the floor, and added a sub-panel dedicated to the shop.  As with most shops, it's a bit tight, but not bad considering I tend to by just larger than average tools (cabinet saw, 16" bandsaw, 8" jointer, etc.)

Some day I"ll have the funds for a full-sized lathe, and will need to refigure the whole room again..

If you'll look closely, you may see some unpaid "help"...

-Grant

I most
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2010 at 3:23pm by Grant Schoonover »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Grant_s_Shop__2___Medium_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Grant_s_Shop__3___Medium_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Grant_s_Shop__4___Medium_.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Grants_Basement_1__Medium_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Re: While the Shop was clean...
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 2:12pm

That shop is a credit to you and is going to make a lot of us jealous.  I love the closed storage because everything in my place is covered in dust.  The Cherry unit is lovely and works very well.  Make the most of that little Shop Fairy before she catches on.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Addict

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 5:17pm

What a great shop! Looks like you know how to use it too...Bill...

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 5:21pm

I am so envious of all that space. Teach the shop fairy whatever you do she may just be the next Drozda or ???

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 7:44pm

Great Shop.  A real showpiece.  I too love the cabinets.  Enjoy her while you can.  You blink and they are grown and gone.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2010 at 11:19pm

love the shop.  and "unpaid" help??  looks like she gets lots of hug's and kisses. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:38am

Lovin' the shop fairy too.  So cute.   
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2010 at 12:38am by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Jet 1642
Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:31am

Glad you enjoied the pictures - its forever a work in process.

The cabinets are a lucky story.  My office was renovating the outdated kitchen and supply room.  The cabinets were about meet their doom with a sledge by the contractor when I happened to go for a cup of coffee.  30 minutes later I had a Uhaul truck outside and my free prize was coming down in the service elevator.  I used about half the cabinets, and the rest went to my father-in-law's shop. 

The most ironic part was, I painted the shop blue/white a year before getting the cabinets, and the colors are exactly the same... spooky coincidence, or I was thinking about the office the day I bought the paint!  Smiley

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2010 at 7:32am by Grant Schoonover »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 4:35pm

That's not a shop it's a laboratory!

Smiley

IP Logged

Scott Wheeler
WR Addict

The wood on the wathe
goes wound & wound

Reading PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Reading PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2010 at 8:34pm

Your right Jim that's not a shop its a Dream Shop! Great Job!Smiley

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 10:56pm

Great-looking shop, Grant.  smiley=thumbsup.gif  The house we're in now had enclosed cabinets similar to yours (not nearly as nice, though), and I sure like having doors and drawers instead of open shelves. I get enough dust as it is...don't need any more places for it to collect.

And that "unpaid" help? I suspect you've only just begun paying, my friend.  Grin  (She looks like she's worth every cent, though.)

IP Logged

Christopher Hartley
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Oct 29th, 2010 at 9:04am

Grant, Very nice digs.  Some time ago my wife gave me a little shop sign that says, "A Man's Garage is His Palace".  While this is no garage it certainly is a Palace.  Congrats and good work. Smiley

Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

IP Logged

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Jet 1642
Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2010 at 8:23pm

Thanks, Chris.

While it certainly doesn't feel like a palace when you're trying to work in the shop, I appreciate the sentiment.  It's amazing - no matter how much space we have, it's never quite enough to feed our addition....

IP Logged

Robert Melrose

Try? There is no try.
There is only do or do
not.

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 5:29pm

I like the lathe bench. I have the same lathe without the bed extension. Do you have any plans for that bench you would be willing to share?

Robert Melrose http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223346386  
IP Logged

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Jet 1642
Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 9:33pm

I didn't draw up any plans, but maybe I can describe it a bit...

The top is two layers of 3/4" ply glued together, with hardwood edging.  It rests on a frame of 2x6 stretchers spaced apart by 2x4s.  The top is secured to the stand with 4 threaded rods/washers/bolts down the centerline of the top and are secured through the 2x4s.  This keeps the bolts out of the way when you bolt the lathe to the top.  Just be sure not to locate a bolt directly under the motor as its position changes with each belt location (don't ask me how I know this).

The frame is 2x6 stretchers with 2x4 legs splayed out at ~15 degrees for stability. Plywood on the sides and back add rigidity.  There is also a plywood bottom behind the doors where I keep two MDF boxes of sand (~250lbs, and an unbalanced blank will still make it move!).  Theres also some room in there for odds and ends like chucks, tool rests, gloves, etc.

I used PVC pipes set through a piece of MDF on the back side to store chisels.

I probably had $75USD in materials, and and weekend of construction time invested. 

Good luck.  There are a few threads on the site regarding lathe stands -a search should turm them up!

-Grant

If I had it to do over, I would probably have made a bit more clearance under the stand - just to make sweeping a bit easier.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Schoonover_Lathe_Bench_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print