Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: Nova DVR lathe with many extras (Chicago area) (Read 2,562 times)

Lars Stole
WR Noob

Trying to learn something
new everyday

FS: Nova DVR lathe with many extras (Chicago area)
Nov 1st, 2010 at 10:16am

Nova DVR XP lathe with lots of extras.  It is available for pickup only, in Chicago, IL (near Wrigley Field). 

After a lot of thinking and second-guessing, I have decided to try and sell my Nova DVR lathe to upgrade to a Stubby 750.  I have a small shop and constrained woodworking budget,  so I need to create the shop space and to free up some cash by selling my lathe.   While I enjoy turning on the Nova DVR and it works great for most things, I am now interested in doing large hollow forms (larger than 16" diameter) and that is the one thing the Nova DVR can't handle well.  (Smaller than 16" hollow forms are no problem, and 20" platters can easily be handled with the outrigger, but turning 18-20" diameter logs into deep hollow forms is not possible).   

I have some pictures available.  Please email me if you would like the links. I have also posted this advertisement at WoodCentral where there is one photo posted with the listing.

The Nova DVR XP lathe was purchased slightly used in January 2006 just after Ernie Conover finished filming a demo video for Teknatool using it.  Ernie signed the lathe for me which is the writing you might notice in the pictures.

In addition to all of the original equipment, I am also including the "Outboard Tool Rest Assembly" (retail $295, at woodcraft), a 20" bed segment (retail $240), and a Nova vacuum coupler (I think I paid $50 for this, but WC doesn't sell it anymore).   I will also include a lathe-bed clamping block for the Nova DVR which can be used to attach Oneway Bowl or Spindle steadies, among other things. (Cost about $20, I recall).  So altogether with the regular price of the lathe ($2250, at WC), the whole kit costs about $2850 new. I'm selling it for $1750.  I'm not willing to go any lower on the price for now or to break up the bundle.  If this doesn't sell within a month or two I will consider selling the various items separately (lathe, outrigger, bed extension, vacuum coupler, bench, etc) and I will probably also list the items on ebay.

In addition to the extras listed above, I have made a few modifications that I think also add value to the lathe.  Most notably, I built an electronic remote for the lathe which has both speed control and an on-off switch which can be located anywhere you like.  It amounts to only $50 in parts, but it took a lot of time studying wiring diagrams  and soldering it all together.  I can remove the remote and restore the lathe to its unmodified state if you prefer.  You can always add it back later.  I have also added a better tool rest lever.  The original "lever" was the only thing on the Nova lathe that was poorly thought out.  I'll  include the original in case you want the option to switch back, but you won't want to.  I also made a little table for the headstock that I use as a place for chucks, etc.    The lathe is currently configured to run on 220 volts; I can switch it back to 110v if you prefer that setup instead.  You will get an extra 1/4 HP at 220v.    

Lastly, I have built a rock-solid bench for this lathe.  The top is laminated maple (1-3/4" thick).  The table top is 6' by 18".  The front legs protrude out another 6 inches for even more stability.  The legs and runners on the bench are solid maple.  There are 9 drawers with cherry faces,  high-quality full-extension drawer glides and nice handles.  There are a few drilled holes in the maple top for the lathe mounting bolts and a few other jigs I have used over the years, but it is very stable.  The height of the table is 34-7/8".  This brings the Nova DVR spindle height to 45-1/2".  You could easily shorten the bench a few inches.  (I can take an inch or two off for you if you like on my table saw.) You can also add a few planks of wood on top to raise the the lathe as necessary.  The bottom of the bench contains a recess for a lot of bricks, bags of sand, etc., so the bench by itself can easily be made to weigh several hundred pounds before you fill up the drawers.   If you don't want the lathe bench, that is fine.  But I am offering it for sale for only an additional $250 if you buy my lathe.   The solid maple wood and the drawer hardware is worth about $250 to me, even if I have to recycle the bench.  It just seems a shame to cut it up for parts and wood so I hope that you are interested in purchasing both.  The top and sides come off for transporting.  The drawers are removable and are are attached to a 3/4" plywood case set inside the bench.  I can provide more precise measurements and photos via email if you need additional information.

I also have a few other woodturning items (e.g., Airstream dust helmet, Dick and Chick Longworth chuck, small Gast vacuum pump, various gouges, grinding wheels, buffing wheels, dust collection and safety equipment, Nova Cole jaws, small hollowing tools, etc.) that you may be interested in purchasing at deep discount with the lathe; I'll show you my "turner's basement sale" merchandise if you stop by to take a look at the lathe and bench.   Free cup of coffee as well.  Smiley

Contact information:
773-244-6553, home 
773-732-2330, mobile
lars.stole@me.com (email)

lastole  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Lars Stole
WR Noob

new everyday

Price reduction, additional extra
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 11:39am

I've had a few inquiries but my lathe package remains for sale as described.  I will, however, lower the bundled price of the lathe and stand to $1900 and also include Teknatool's heavy-duty bowl rest.  This was an extra that I purchased with the lathe.  I believe it was $40 at the time from woodcraft.  This is the an older version of the heavy-duty bowl toolrest from Teknatool, not the new version.   I can send pictures if you are interested. 

Also, for whoever buys my lathe, I can offer various additional items at a discount; each is in perfect working order:  airstream respirator for $200, a one-way talon chuck (standard package) with Nova DVR insert for $175, and a one-way stronghold chuck (std package) with insert for $225.  There are other lower priced items as well that we can discuss if you buy the lathe (e.g., lots of pen kits, bushings, mandrels, buffing system, longworth chuck, nova cole jaws, etc).   
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2010 at 11:39am by Lars Stole »  
lastole  
IP Logged

Lars Stole
WR Noob

new everyday

Yet another price reduction!
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2010 at 2:28pm

OK, I need to sell this by end of the year in order to buy a Stubby 750 at the 2010 prices (before the price increase of a few hundred dollars).  To this end, I'm again reducing the price on the whole package by another $100.  You get everything including the bench for $1800.  On top of this, I will add my elbo-tool hollowing system with laser mount to the package for another $200. 

This is a limited time offer.  If I don't succeed in selling this by Dec 31, I will probably raise the price of the package back to $2000 and try to sell the extra components separately.

lastole  
IP Logged

Lars Stole
WR Noob

new everyday

My last price reduction
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 4:27pm

Price for Nova DVR XP lathe with all of the extras except the bench (tool rests, outboard rig, bed extension, vacuum coupler, One-way bed clamping block) is $1450; the bench is $250 if you buy the lathe.   My shop is near Wrigley Field in Chicago.

I also have a few other woodturning items that I am offering at deep discount IF you purchase the lathe (e.g., an Airstream dust helmet for $200, an Elbo-tool hollowing system with laser and extras for $200, various gouges, grinding wheels, buffing wheels, dust collection and safety equipment, Nova Cole jaws, small hollowing tools, etc., all priced at less than half the original retail prices) .  For now, these extras are available only to the person who buys my lathe.  Later I may consider selling them separately.

lastole  
IP Logged

Lars Stole
WR Noob

new everyday

SOLD !!!
Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2010 at 10:11pm

The Nova DVR XP lathe with accessories and stand has been sold.

lastole  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print