Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turning a small Acorn Box (Read 3,473 times)

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Turning a small Acorn Box
Nov 21st, 2010 at 9:35am

I have to say, I'm not thrilled with way this person handles his tools. I think some of his techniques are not to be desired.

The one thing he does right is jam chucks and I wanted Doug to see this procedure.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If you want to see a better way to handle your tools take a look at Bob's Hamilton Birdhouse project
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2010 at 9:46am by Ron Sardo »  

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Donnie Kennedy

Re: Turning a small Acorn Box
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 10:43am

That guy does seem like he would be as comfortable with a skew or a sharpened screwdriver... whichever he had closest at hand.

A long time ago a turner here (Jerry...can't remember his forum name at the time) taught me about jamb chucks and I'm glad... they are just so useful for so many projects.

Avise La Fin
joecitizen.ar  
IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2010 at 8:00pm

I think I have seen all of this guys Videos and he makes some nice stuff and has some good information for newbies and few for the more experienced.  smiley=beer.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Sadly tool usage is not one of them, but like I say, I have learned a lot of tecniques from him, so thanks to him for that. Free info is always good for me, I just shy away from tool tecnique on a lot of them.  Huh

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Lark Leazar
WR Addict

Hook 'Em!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:50am

Hacksaw on the moving wood, maybe it's just me but that's scary.  Roughing with the skew, then the roughing gouge shows up later - wow.

Delta Midi 46-460

IP Logged

Rafael Gomez

Still Learning...

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 7:39am

Lark Leazar wrote on Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:50am:
Hacksaw on the moving wood, maybe it's just me but that's scary.  Roughing with the skew, then the roughing gouge shows up later - wow.

I'm a newbie... but both the hacksaw and the "roughing skew" gave me a bit of a pucker... seems like a good way to get hurt.

I guess its like moving the tool rest while the lathe is running, a lot of folks get comfortable enough that they figure its no big deal.

“A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist." - Louis Nizer
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 9:44am

Lark Leazar wrote on Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:50am:

I feel the same way, I even tried it once with Alan Lacer looking over my shoulder. I'll use my thin parting tool thank you.

Rafael Gomez wrote on Nov 23rd, 2010 at 7:39am:
the "roughing skew" gave me a bit of a pucker

Are you talking about 4:37 time frame? If so, I do that too, but I make it a point of moving away from the chuck when I'm about 2" from metal, not towards it.

At time frame 5:44 he's using that big honking spindle roughing gouge and moving towards the chuck! Yikes! One slip and that is going to hurt. I would use a 3/8" bowl gouge (English measurement) to start forming the outside.

IP Logged

Ed Weber
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

Wilton, California, USA
Wilton
California
USA

JET 1642
Grizzly G0584
Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 9:54am

I don't usually comment on videos, since the end result is the ultimate goal, BUT..
I think it's safe to say this guy has no formal training, and there is nothing wrong with that. I do think however, he needs a refresher course in grain orientation and direction. Sometimes there is no easy way to avoid making an uphill or against the grain cut, but this turner seems to specialize in them. Using tools like this, he is just asking for trouble and/or injury.
I don't see a problem with the hacksaw method.
Just my two cents.
Everybody is different and does things there own way. Right or wrong can be somewhat sujective. Just be safe

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 1:43pm

Anytime that I use a tool towards the chuck, say when using a Skew long point down to smooth the wood, I always make sure that I have a large ridge in the wood to stop the tool hitting the Chuck, if I goof it up a bit ! Which is quite a lot hehehehhe Angry

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 5:01pm

Leo,

Try lowering the handle of the skew and lead with the short point down.  You'll be riding the bevel and will have less chance of a catch.  I found this difficult because of the handle position so I held the handle near the ferrule and that felt less 'exaggerated'.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2010 at 7:17pm

Brendan, it's probably just me, but I find it much easier and safer when Skewin' from right to left, to have the long point down, the tool can then lay along the tool rest a bit,  at about 45 degrees or more, instead of just over the top of it. Just feels better to me and double the amount of tool laying on the rest. I don't usually explain myself too well, I wish I had a digital video recorder to help me explain myself better. Cry

IP Logged

Ed Stanley
WR Noob

The joy is in creation
not in ownership

Memphis Tn, Tennessee, USA
Memphis Tn
Tennessee
USA

Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 9:59am

I have to agree with you on the tool handleing. But on the other hand he does have some good ideas.

IP Logged

Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 10:28am

I have watched this a few times to see what the fuss was about..... to be honest, the only major thing is the use of the big gouge that was a bit nerve wracking to watch. And while cutting up hill didn't seem to really be needed when he was doing it it is a small thing.
Skew use next to the chuck.... I do it all the time, however generally moving away from the chuck or straight in to even something up.
The whole safety in tool handling generally IMO has to do with having control of the tools, which he does have. Probably not a good thing to new turners who are still a little nervous about doing it though.

He ended up with a nice piece and like it or not, that is the puddin. 
Brad

IP Logged

Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2010 at 11:34am

Leo,

I understand now.  I was thinking of catches but, if I have this right, the long point is below the work.  I never thought of that approach.

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Đave Wendell
WR Addict

Charleston, SC, South Carolina, USA
Charleston, SC
South Carolina
USA

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2010 at 8:50pm

That is small compared to the ones I'm making. I do mine a bit different as well.  I cut 2 blocks, one lid 3 x 3 x 2, one bottom 3 x 3 x 2 1/2.  Between centers for both and tenon cut.  Chuck up tenon do hollowing on bottom, and just inside the lip put a 3/16" recess for chucking to finish up the outside shape.  Same goes for the lid.  I have a lot less wood waste this way.  If you wanted to go small, you could use pin jaws.

Life's Short, Laugh Hard!

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2010 at 5:31am

I also agree that his tool selection and direction had me scratching my head a few times. Also, is it just me, or did his tools seem pretty dull? They sounded like they were scraping more than cutting.
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2010 at 5:32am by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print