Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turning a small Acorn Box (Read 3,439 times)

Robert Gill

WR Rocks!

Re: Turning a small Acorn Box
Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 6:36am

What gives with applying wax or whatever with the sandpaper.  That's the first time I have seen that.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #16 - Dec 22nd, 2010 at 5:14pm

Lubricates the sandpaper and creates a slurry that is worked into any pores that the wood may have.  Pretty effective.  Quick and looks good, but really is a soft finish that will not last very long. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #17 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 10:58am

The hack saw (Starret Parting tool) is an ancient technique -  may be safer than the parting tool with a thin kerf and cuts the grain nicely. 

High tension frame and bimetalic blades make it pretty fool proof.  nice for matching grain.

wax sanding produces a wax swarf - but mineral spirits cleans things up well and allow a different finish later.  I use shellac wash coat over the mineral spirits cleaned surface.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #18 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 11:24am

With the hack saw, you need to have the teeth point towards the handle which is opposite of normal

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Donnie Kennedy

Reply #19 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 3:42pm

Lark Leazar wrote on Nov 23rd, 2010 at 6:50am:
Hacksaw on the moving wood, maybe it's just me but that's scary.  Roughing with the skew, then the roughing gouge shows up later - wow.

I use a skew for roughing more often than a roughing gouge... probably 99% of the time. When you get the hang of it you can go from a rough cut piece of split wood to a smooth as a baby's butt finish with the same tool and in less time.

I also part with a hacksaw and a coping saw with the blades turned around backwards... never had any issues or safety concerns with either.
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2010 at 3:45pm by Donnie Kennedy »  

Avise La Fin
joecitizen.ar  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #20 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 4:10pm

Donnie Kennedy wrote on Dec 24th, 2010 at 3:42pm:
I use a skew for roughing more often than a roughing gouge... probably 99% of the time. When you get the hang of it you can go from a rough cut piece of split wood to a smooth as a baby's butt finish with the same tool and in less time.

Same here. I start with a peeling cut then planing cut.

I've also used the planing cut with the spindle roughing gouge.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Donnie Kennedy

Reply #21 - Dec 24th, 2010 at 8:13pm

Ron... I was one of those guys who had a really bad first couple of experiences with the skew and avoided that thing for a while but then my hard headedness kicked in and I decided that I was going to make that (edited out) work for me.

With the exception of a couple of message boards and YouTube videos, I am self taught, so it took a while to get the hang of it, but it sure does pay off now.

I guess the game changer was just looking at it and thinking about how the skew works (as a cutting edge) and being able to anticipate how it will react to whatever position I put it in. Once you get to the point that you can feel the catch developing, you can make the necessary corrections on the fly to stop it from actually happening.

Because I know how it works, even after not touching the skew for nearly 2 years, I've pretty much picked up where I left off and it is still my go-to tool... I have has a few of the bone head catches during my re-introduction period, but I think I'm over that for the most part. I know it's still going to happen here and there, but that's just part of turning.

Avise La Fin
joecitizen.ar  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brad_Mortensen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #22 - Dec 26th, 2010 at 10:16am

A skew is my most often used tool, my thin, small skew is the one of four that is most likely to give me a catch. It is fantastic for detail work, but responds instantly to the tiniest change in position or angle. Let down your guard even a little bit and its evil side surfaces with a deep most inappropriate spiral.

Brad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print