Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Willow (Read 587 times)

Brian Graham
WR Noob

Willow
Nov 27th, 2010 at 7:01am

On my way home this past spring, I came upon a fellow you was cutting down a rather large Weeping Willow. Of course, I introduced myself and talked him into giving me a few pieces to take home.

Rough turned back in early June I think, and finished up this past week. This bowl will be going back to the gentleman I received the wood from. This willow is not the best for turning in my opinion. Rather soft with lots of tear-out, but with sharp tools and a couple of applications of shellac, I managed to get it off the lathe...

Bowl is around 12" by 5" finished to about 1/4" thickness. Two coats of Watco butcher block finish.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register willow__Medium_.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Scott glass
WR Addict

Wood is my Gold!

Depoe Bay Oregon, Oregon, USA
Depoe Bay Oregon
Oregon
USA

Re: Willow
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 7:26am

Nice bowl. I have some type of willow that is very white. Looks like white cheese and it cracks just by looking at it. A neighbor was trimming the tree and I needed some practice wood. It does turn easy and I need to try a bowl, then boil it after.
If my bowl turns out anything like your's I will be happy and I am sure your neighbor will be very surprised at your talent.
Nice job! and I like the finish too.

Always give your best effort, what people see in your work is you.

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Re: Willow
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2010 at 8:24am

Nice job. Giving back a bowl keeps you on people's minds when they cut down trees. Soon the word will be out and you'll end up with more wood than you can deal with.

I picked some willow up from a construction site last spring. Sadly, they just bulldozed the trees down so I couldn't get very much out of it. I did manage to turn a top hat for my son and some fairly nice bowls. It is soft but can be dealt with.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print