Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Robin Hood's Bowl (Read 1,786 times)

Richard Perry

WR Rocks!

Robin Hood's Bowl
Dec 2nd, 2010 at 7:58am

Just saw this video and wanted to share.

Apologies if it's been posted before. Whatever lathe you have, you'll appreciate it more after watching.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Re: Robin Hood's Bowl
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2010 at 8:45am

I have always admired what the does but I do ask myself why at times.  Maybe he is using it to stay in shape. Smiley  I was a little disappointed that he used a tape measure since back then (mediaval times) they did not have them (I don't think).  Cool video and his treddle lathe is pretty neat.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 11:12am

they may not have had a Stanley tape measure, but they surely had some type of measuring instruments larger than dividers and calipers.  Not sure when the "inch" was developed, but it is VERY old. 

From Wikipedia, "An Anglo-Saxon unit of length was the barleycorn. After 1066, 1 inch was equal to 3 barleycorn, which continued to be its legal definition for several centuries, with the barleycorn being the base unit.[2] One of the earliest such definitions is that of 1324, where the legal definition of the inch was set out in a statute of Edward II of England, defining it as "three grains of barley, dry and round, placed end to end, lengthwise".
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2010 at 11:13am by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 4:49pm

TMI  TMI   Grin Grin

Dale

IP Logged

Ralph Lindberg

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2010 at 9:33pm

Dale
Robin's lathe is not a treadle, but rather a spring-pole lathe. A treadle has continuous rotation, just like your power lathe. A spring-pole has goes back and forth, so you have to cut with an "interrupted" cut, that is only when the object is turning one way, and not the other.

I own a treadle, trust me, a treadle is easier for us "turners" then a spring-pole.

One of Robin Wood's most impressive bits, is the race between him and a guy on a Polewood, which Robin wins
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

TTFN
Ralph

Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.

IP Logged

Dale Bonertz
WR Addict

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 8:38am

Ralph,
Thanks for clearing that up.  I always thought they were the same.  I have seen the video that you posted which first made me admire Robin.  He is pretty awesome with the old ways.

Dale

Dale

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2010 at 10:11am

I've recently thought of doing something like Robin's work at a local working farm where they have modest displays of old farm life. There is a blacksmith shop that does demos. I thought it would be fun to add a similar lathe and turn some of the downed timber from the woods on the property.

Just a thought and just for yucks mind you. Too many fun things to do and too little time.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print