leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Re: Etsy Sales
Reply #45 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 4:57am

Rev. Doug,

I agree, I will never send items until I have the money into my Paypal account and then transferred into my bank.

I was caught out years ago with a very nice watch, when I sent it off, e-bay let the buyer take the money back out. It was around a week later, so I transfer it to my bank so they can't get it back. Angry

BTW. Still only two ( 2 ) sales and that was to my step son ( thanx Martin ). Artsyhome, no sales, but I am getting 10x the exposure ( views ) than on etsy.  Huh

" Espera y tranquilo " or " poco y poco " as they say over here............they do talk funny !!!!!! Shocked

Leo Cool

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

leo Makepeace
WR Addict

Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote
Spain

Reply #46 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 4:58am

How many of you have just gone onto google translator ?????????????????????? Wink

Leo Cool

Makin' shavins, but not much else. I can still count to ten, with my shoes on......woohoo
WWW leo Makepeace http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_10361251  
IP Logged

Christina Gurnham

WR Rocks!

Reply #47 - Sep 6th, 2011 at 9:00am

Rev. Doug Miller wrote on Sep 6th, 2011 at 12:13am:
Be very careful with those large international sales.  They are sometimes scams.  You send lots of merchandise and never receive any funds.  Other than that advice, CONGRATULATIONS!
Rev. Doug Miller

Hey Rev. Doug

I know what you mean.  thankfully these people were legit.  part of the order was custom and I was paid for the entire order in advanced.  I even went to Google maps to see if the company I was shipping to existed.  It did.  then i checked my google analytics, and saw that the hits i was getting the day my items sold were coming from the same town that the package I was shipping to.  that settled my fears.

Communication was hard at first, but then i was getting emails almost daily until the order was built.  Package was shipped and got there just in time for their big birthday party.  I needed that mola - got a wedding in t-minus 33 days  Shocked

Leo - so you are liking artsy home?  i was thinking of listing on their site.  It's for selling to the wealthier crowd right?

i've got a beautiful redheart and yellow heart razor,stand and brush set i am working on.  the razor is redheart with yellowheart of the tips and turquoise inlay, the stand is redheart with yellowheart on the ends, and i haven't turned the brush yet but I am debating on having yellow heart on the ends or the middle of the brush.  i was to get more than i would for my typical set and artsy might be the way to go

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Douglas Quetin
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #48 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 11:52am

Thanks, Roger, for the advice on Etsy.  I am trying to get into production turning, but don't like craft shows or a brick and mortar shop.  (Want to maximize turning time.)  I also appreciate the advice on patience which is not my long suit.  I'm not looking to make a living at this just to defray some of the expenses of this crazy passion.

Some of my stuff is on Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

IP Logged

Scott Conway

WR Rocks!

Richton, MS, Mississippi, USA
Richton, MS
Mississippi
USA

Reply #49 - Mar 3rd, 2013 at 11:28am

Any updates from you guys who were playing around with the idea of etsy?  I haven't opened one up yet but I'm thinking about it not just for my wood turning but my metal projects as well.  You guys think it would be better to have two separate etsy accounts or put both the turnings and the metal projects in the same shop?  New at this and have never sold anything off etsy.  All my sales in he past have been person to person and promotion by word of mouth.

http://Facebook.com/justsensibleconcepts  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Yuval Lahav

Who 'dat?

Ladispoli, Italy
Ladispoli
Italy

Reply #50 - Mar 4th, 2013 at 5:45am

I know it's not much, since I've started recently working wood, but hey, a guy can dream, no??? Smiley

Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as if it has past age. Full of its own comings and goings, scarcely even aware of the existence of Hobbits...,  ...for which I am very thankful.
Yuval Lahav  
IP Logged

Walt Nollan
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #51 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 2:38pm

I tried Etsy and did not sell anything for four months.  I think my prices were to high but Im not will to drop them so I'm stock piling gifts!

IP Logged

Yuval Lahav

Who 'dat?

Ladispoli, Italy
Ladispoli
Italy

Reply #52 - Mar 6th, 2013 at 3:08pm

Well, I've been up 4 months now and sold nothing, but I don't let that effect me, I know I'm only a beginner, and maybe my works are still not up to par, so I'll leave it up, and add to it as I go along, and who knows, my luck might change.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2013 at 3:08pm by Yuval Lahav »  

Well, what can I tell you? Life in the wide world goes on much as if it has past age. Full of its own comings and goings, scarcely even aware of the existence of Hobbits...,  ...for which I am very thankful.
Yuval Lahav  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #53 - Mar 7th, 2013 at 9:15am

I've heard many say that it could take a year to sell the first piece after that it begins to become more regular.  Changing things around and adding to it regularly seem to be positive steps toward making more sales. 
Cool

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Scott Conway

WR Rocks!

Richton, MS, Mississippi, USA
Richton, MS
Mississippi
USA

Reply #54 - Mar 8th, 2013 at 12:55pm

I'm tossing the idea of starting a shop but haven't gotten to it because I'm not sure of how to price first of all.  I  want to be able to not lose money and actually make some cash but at the same time I don't want to have prices so high that it isn't attractive to potential buyers with not having any "history" and all being a new shop.  Next issue I have is whether or not to put my lathe work projects in a shop with my metal art and projects.  It would help having them together and since I'm the craftsman for both it wouldn't be completely like a "hodgepodge" BUT at the same time to some degree I feel it would.  You just don't expect to see things like little cowboys made from recycled horseshoes and firerings or hand cut plasma art in the same venue as bowls, pens, and other nice lathe work.

I guess I will eventually just DO IT and see what happens.  I just need to make sure I have enough  stuff made up so that I can populate the shop with product.  I don't have a lot of time and don't crank out projects nearly as fast as I would like to.

http://Facebook.com/justsensibleconcepts  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print