Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Video: Bowl Turning Practice Session (Read 2,573 times)

Bob Hamilton
WR Addict

Forest, Ontario, Canada, Ontario, Canada
Forest, Ontario, Canada
Ontario
Canada

New Video: Bowl Turning Practice Session
Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:11pm

Hi:
I have uploaded a new video series to Youtube. This one is a recording of a practice session where I am attempting to turn a small bowl from Eastern White Pine and achieve a good enough finished surface directly from the tools to not require sandpaper. There is a lot of experimenting with different tools and angles of approach to get the best surface finish possible directly from the tool. The playlist for the series is available at: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Take care
Bob

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2011 at 12:12pm by Bob Hamilton »  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: New Video: Bowl Turning Practice Session
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2011 at 11:22pm

another well done series of videos.  Thank you, Bob, for taking the time to do these.  So helpful to so many.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 9:47am

Well done as always. The quality and educational content is at least as good, if not better than most of the videos I've spent lots of bucks for.

Thanks Bob!

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 11:26am

Bob,
Great stuff.  i have to say I have learned a lot from you videos.  I need to have myself one of those sessions.

Thanks smilies=bowdown smilies=bowdown

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Ron Stadler
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 12:06am

Thanks again Bob, you do such a great job on these video's and I keep looking forward to your next one.

IP Logged

Shannon Shanks

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2011 at 11:13am

Great job. Very useful. Especially since I just got my bowl gouges.

Thank you so much for the time you put into these. Always very helpful.  smilies=bowdown

IP Logged

john Taylor
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2011 at 1:17am

I remember my cabinet maker mentor who's very first assignment for me was to build a simple box using nothing but edge tools for joins and surfacing - all in white cedar.  I think I spent about three weeks and God only knows how many boxes I built before he accepted the assignment as completed.  I learned more about sharp tools and a delicate touch in three weeks than the next three years.  That soft cedar was the most unforgiving wood I ever worked.  It made the hardwoods seem like child's play in comparison.

This video is testament to Bob's skills.  Everyone ought to duplicate this exercise as many times as it takes to get it "right".  We could put the abrasive people out of business.  Well, maybe not, but close...

IP Logged

Bill Bolen
WR Addict

Missouri turner

Eureka, Missouri, USA
Eureka
Missouri
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:41am

Thanks for another fine set of vid's Bob. I've enjoyed them all and always take something from them to my shop. In this instance you got me to try a traditional grind on one of my bowl gouges and I really like using it on that pesky wall to bottom curve. I've always fought tear out in that area and this sure helped. Your efforts are much appreciated...Bill...

2Ljunkie

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Clair Stewart
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2011 at 1:09am

I appreciate this video.  Watching you practice your cuts and perfect your skills shows me how much more I need to practice to become better.   Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print