Andrew Sobota

Have chainsaw, Will travel!

1 hr south of Rochester, MN, Minnesota, USA
1 hr south of Rochester, MN
Minnesota
USA

proof
Jan 30th, 2011 at 9:00pm

Ok, I know the rule...no pics = didn't happen.  This did happen, and I have proof.  This is the shop craigslist built.  Everything you see.  Literally - cept the clock radio and mug warmer in the window.  The table saw, which you don't see wasn't craiglist, but I did buy it used for pennies just the same.  I wish I had twice the room, but don't we all.  You'll notice on the counter I have a piece of plywood.  That's where there was a sink.  I will do something there...no clue. I may make it a router table the lifts forward and out so I can run full length boards on it...or, a downdraft table, not sure.  I still need to run my ductwork for dust collection.  I also need to move one 4 gang outlet set as it was covered by the furthest base cabinet on the right.  It will simply get lifted right into place in line with the rest...there is enough wire, it'll just be a bit of patchwork to the drywall.  Oh well, I had that done before I got the cabinets.  Fun fun fun.  And today I picked up a bunch of nice cedar to play with...16" rounds to have Alice play with in the new and improved Wonderland.  I will finish the drywall and paint when I have time - and yeah, I wish that was already done, but there's only one of me.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register CIMG0289_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register CIMG0290_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register CIMG0292_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - L. Pasteur
http://www.facebook.com/ajsobota  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Brendan McAreavy
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Ireland, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland

Re: proof
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:29pm

That's a good job.  The sink - I was looking at the position and the window recess behind and was wondering if it would be worth dropping a sliding compound mitre saw in there seeing as there would be room for the rails?

BMac in a previous incarnation

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 11:34pm

Andrew Sobota wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 9:00pm:
...I will finish the drywall and paint when I have time... 

C'mon Andrew, you've been turning long enough to know that as long as Alice is running, you probably won't be able to find the time.  Cheesy  But then again, you won't care, because you'll be too busy playing with Alice to notice the missing drywall and paint.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Ian Clark

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 12:48am

Andrew Sobota wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 9:00pm:
I will finish the drywall and paint when I have time 

You know the answer to that one...you've already got stuff mounted on the walls! smiley=lolk.gif

Looks great and you convenietly have a space big enough for a beer fridge!
smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Jason Schultz

Sawdust or bust!

Frederick, Maryland, Maryland, USA
Frederick, Maryland
Maryland
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 6:42am

Wow, I'm jealous!  That's a great looking shop!  And why bother painting - unpainted drywall makes for a good "sketch pad", and when it gets to a point of being unusable as a sketchpad anymore, then you can paint.   Grin  Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow!  smiley=lolk.gif

Thanks for the pics, looks great - enjoy it!

"Doctors bury their mistakes; Architects cover them with vines."  Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Patron

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 7:16am

Looks fantastic.  I am jealous.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Glen Shaffer

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 8:33am

Looks good!! Maybe you can rig the sink area for a set of drop in tools. Mount a small band saw,grinder,buffing system, or whatever you may have to it's own 3/4" plywood & just drop it in place as you need it.

IP Logged

Scott Wheeler
WR Supporter

The wood on the wathe
goes wound & wound

Reading PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Reading PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 11:12am

SSWWWWEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!! smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Andrew Sobota

Minnesota
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 6:01pm

So I measured.  The compound sliding miter saw will fit, with some overhang when straight.  I can rotate it and it will not hang over the countertop.  The recess in the window is enough.  I also think I could countersink it enough to make it flush with the countertop for a greater surface area - without the slide hangin up on the window sill.  I could cut anything on one side about 8', the other, maybe 4'.  Time to make a plan.  Better yet, time to go turn something and worry about that later.  Next up, a different rack for gouges...one with a plastic front so I can se the tools, and they don't get all covered in shavings.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #9 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 6:32pm

Andrew,
Nice use of space.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

TomTunget
WR Addict

Praise God for creativity!

Scottsdale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Scottsdale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 10:52am

Nice shop Andrew!
I'm liking that steady rest on the wall too! Much larger than mine.

But I have to ask, What's the story with the boots under the lathe? Did the joy of turning bounce you right out of 'em? Grin

We wouldn't allow garbage to be served on the table,
why would we allow it to be served to our minds?
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:14pm

That is his chip collection system.   Grin Grin

JimQuarles
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011 at 12:14pm by JimQuarles »  

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA, Georgia, USA
Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 2:13pm

Pictures of heaven..

I like the light stand.  Is there more on it than lights?  Was it made by oneway, or custom?

IP Logged

Andrew Sobota

Minnesota
USA

Reply #13 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 5:38pm

Tom:  The steady rest came with the unit.  No clue who made it.   Its nice, but I wish it closed in differently, its not quite uniform, which prevents its use on small items like shovel handles.  The boots were my subtle tribute to Les - placed there, very neatly, with laces tucked in.  Someone finally noticed.  Thank you.  Grin Grin Grin

Grant:  The lights stand is a double Gary Sanders, which I'm pretty sure Oneway now owns the rights to make.  It's a slick unit and I do reccommend it should you stumble on a lot of money you don't need.  If not, I'm sure you can make a custom unit out of PVC with a little effort.  The only thing else attached to it is my dust collector hose on occasion via a little bolt and wingnut.  I have not yet had the time/gumption/kick in the pants to build a proper collection port.  It will probably not be mounted the the light system, but then again, it maybe will.  I NEED to do that coming into summer where I will turn more (unless I build a second timber frame, which I'm contemplating).  I have a large oak plate bolted the the back of the lathe that has all sorts of capability from the standpoint of mounting things to.  It has a third lighting plate should I want another.  I took it off...the two Sanders' lights, and a quadruple of fluorscents is plenty. 

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 6:15pm

Andrew Sobota wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 5:38pm:
  I have a large oak plate bolted the the back of the lathe that has all sorts of capability from the standpoint of mounting things to.  It has a third lighting plate should I want another.  I took it off...the two Sanders' lights, and a quadruple of fluorscents is plenty. 

Andrew,
I would like to see a close up of that oak plate myself.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print