Andrew Sobota

Have chainsaw, Will travel!

1 hr south of Rochester, MN, Minnesota, USA
1 hr south of Rochester, MN
Minnesota
USA

Re: proof
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 10:15pm

Chuck: here ya go - you build it for the guy?.  The left beam measures 1 5/8" x 3" x 26", the right is a tad shorter at 21". Each side is bolted onto a plate welded to the back of the lathe with 4 bolts.  The don't flex much at all, even being only held at one end.  I didn't put it on, it came that way.  The Sanders' is mounted to them, as is the bracket for the vaccuum pump (the pump fell off on the highway coming back from Missouri, a Benjamin right off the back of the truck), and another light plate (far left).  I'm not sure what you run (PM?).  I'm guessing if a mustard machine is your fancy, it'd be easy to drill and bolt a plate onto the lower area of the main frame...and it would be handy.  Or maybe run a plate across each end and run a rail behind the lathe lengthwise that mortises into the two plates?  Food for thought.

So...a question for you (or anyone)...in one of the photos, is a Oneway wheel balancing system that came with the unit.  My question is with the Oneway white painted unit with the two brackets (and two holes on the plate) that stand upright...any clue what its for?  I get the balancing unit...grinder wheel is attached to said aluminum hub, weights are added depending on how it rolls down the red rails, which is sitting on a FLAT surface.  But the other bit...No clue.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register CIMG0365.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register CIMG0369.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register CIMG0368.jpg (Attachment deleted)

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - L. Pasteur
http://www.facebook.com/ajsobota  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #16 - Feb 18th, 2011 at 11:23pm

Andrew Sobota wrote on Feb 18th, 2011 at 5:38pm:
...The lights stand is a double Gary Sanders, which I'm pretty sure Oneway now owns the rights to make. It's a slick unit and I do reccommend it should you stumble on a lot of money you don't need. If not, I'm sure you can make a custom unit out of PVC with a little effort...

I made something similar for my Powermatic out of square tube steel. I can't find the link to the write-up here on WR, but here's the text and links to the pics on the AAW site:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If Ron or one of the Mods can find the post here, please feel free to change the link in this post. Wink

EDIT: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2011 at 2:11am by David Hamann »  
IP Logged

Larry Clinton
WR Noob

Hooked on Turning! WR
Rocks!

Reply #17 - Mar 17th, 2011 at 12:37pm

Nice lathe! (drool!)

WWW http://facebook.com/Larenzowolfe  
IP Logged

Andrew Sobota

Have chainsaw, Will travel!

1 hr south of Rochester, MN, Minnesota, USA
1 hr south of Rochester, MN
Minnesota
USA

Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2011 at 7:36am

Larry:  The lathe is circa 1997.  It does need a new paint job, and stickering ( I jus saw Alice's lathe and compared the paint jobs...yeah...mine's pretty beat).  I bought it used for a song last summer off of Craigs list of all places.  It falls in the category of a better deal than either Seward's Folly or the Lousiana Purchase.  I do suspect I will upgrade to the newer electronics system eventually.  It seems it doesn't have the lower end torque they are famous for.  Either that or hard maple is harder than I thought it was.  It is a pleasure to work with though.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - L. Pasteur
http://www.facebook.com/ajsobota  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 11:11pm

There should be some adjustments to the low end cut outs in the electronics box at the base of the stand.  Check into it and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print