Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So much for a day off... (Read 2,281 times)

Donnie Kennedy

So much for a day off...
Feb 5th, 2011 at 5:59pm

I figured since I finally pulled the trigger on my new lathe, tools, dust collection, and other assorted goodies I'd better get to crackalakin' on getting my room ready.

This past week I spent a couple of nights (I got off at 10PM) painting the walls, ceiling, and part of the floor  Roll Eyes bright white, removed the ceiling fan,  and installed an adjustable 3 light fixture.

Today I built a wall to wall storage and workbench area to set up the air filtration unit and drill press and have enough counter space to have a clear place to do whatever I need to do. The top in the middle is not finished yet, but I'll do that in a couple of days.

It's a modular unit made up of 2 bases with a 2" X 6" bridge between the two. I did that so I can re-configure the workbench if need be. I'll add some doors later once I work out how I'll set everything up and decide what I'll put where.

Below is a before and after view...

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Avise La Fin
joecitizen.ar  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jason Schultz

Sawdust or bust!

Frederick, Maryland, Maryland, USA
Frederick, Maryland
Maryland
USA

Re: So much for a day off...
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 8:30pm

That looks great.  What are you using for DC?  Just curious, as I have to find something for myself... keep us updated!

"Doctors bury their mistakes; Architects cover them with vines."  Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Donnie Kennedy

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 9:04pm

For dust collection/filtration I'll be using...

A good filter on my Shop-Vac

Dust Deputy

JET AFS-400 Air Filtration System

Avise La Fin
joecitizen.ar  
IP Logged

Jason Schultz

Sawdust or bust!

Frederick, Maryland
Maryland
USA

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2011 at 10:12pm

Thanks Donnie, that looks like a decent setup.  I might see if I can adapt that to my shop...

"Doctors bury their mistakes; Architects cover them with vines."  Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Donnie Kennedy

Recycled Post: Micro Shop Completed...
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:48pm

Other than figuring out where the permanent home for some odd and end pieces, I finally got my micro shop finished.

I've had this stuff dribbling in for about 3 weeks now (all of the big pieced this week), and I'm really glad it's over with. I wanted to have everything in place by tonight, and I just barely made it happen.

Thanks to the snowstorm last week, my lathe has been sitting in a trucking company terminal for 3 days... when I found this out and gave the trucking company a call to get the scoop on the delivery schedule I was told that it might find it's way here by Friday, or maybe Monday so I arranged to have it rescued this afternoon. The drill press was the last piece of the puzzle, and the Fed X guy drooped it off at about 7PM tonight.

The room is 10X' 12' with a small closet... it has been out home office/entertainment/cigar room for several years and this is how it looked a few weeks ago...

This is just for perspective... this picture is looking into the room from the hall...

The following pictures were taken in a clockwise rotation... the big tool box is (looking at it from the center of the room) is just to the right of the doorway...

Avise La Fin
joecitizen.ar  
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:03pm

You are going to want a snug cover over the computers, printer, and monitor.  Chips and fine dust will cause them to overheat.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Donnie Kennedy

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:13pm

JimQuarles wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:03pm:
You are going to want a snug cover over the computers, printer, and monitor.  Chips and fine dust will cause them to overheat.

JimQuarles

HAHA... I moved all of my neardy stuff to another room... I couldn't have my two worlds collide like that anyway... it just wouldn't be good for either of them.

Avise La Fin
joecitizen.ar  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 12:01am

Looks great, Donnie.  smiley=thumbsup.gif You should be able to have all sorts of fun in your new playroom.  Smiley

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jason Schultz

Sawdust or bust!

Frederick, Maryland
Maryland
USA

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 6:32am

Great looking setup you have there!  Enjoy the new shop.

IP Logged

Alan Zenreich

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 6:56am

Maybe it's just me... but when I saw the very first thumbnail photo in the original post, I thought "cool, he built a giant robot"

IP Logged

TomTunget
WR Addict

Praise God for creativity!

CaveCreek, AZ, Arizona, USA
CaveCreek, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 11:53am

Alan Zenreich wrote on Feb 16th, 2011 at 6:56am:
Maybe it's just me... but when I saw the very first thumbnail photo in the original post, I thought "cool, he built a giant robot"

No it wasn't just you! LOL

Very nice setup Donnie.

Since this is a room in your house, consider putting a filter on the inside of your room door so that when your AC/Heat is running any remaining dust isn't forced into you home.

We wouldn't allow garbage to be served on the table,
why would we allow it to be served to our minds?

IP Logged

Alan Zenreich

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 1:13pm

I showed the thumbnail photo to my bride and she thought the same thing.  When I enlarged the photo she said "where did the robot's arm go?" <vbg>
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2011 at 1:15pm by Alan Zenreich »  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2011 at 6:17pm

Donnie,
Nice playroom.  smiley=beer.gif

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print