Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nova 3000 variable speed conversion (Read 3,127 times)

Walter Hall
WR Noob

Nova 3000 variable speed conversion
Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:29am

A couple of you have asked about the VS conversion to my Nova 3000 on my Shop Pics thread, so here is a WIP. It is based on a conversion done by Steve Harder which I saw on the Nova Owners forum.

Inverter, control box and motor wired up and on the bench for testing:-

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Headstock endplate removed ready to remove the motor and mounting plate:-

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Checking the gap between the pulley and the plate to ensure the pulleys align when re-assembled:-

Old motor, pulley and mounting plate removed:-

Pulley removed and ready to remove the mounting plate which is held in place by eight 6mm csk. screws.

Mounting plate fitted to new motor using the four larger mounting holes and four 3/8" UNC x 1 1/4" csk. screws. Note that motor is mounted "upside down" so that the mounting foot, which is not used in this application, can be used to mount the control box.

Pulley fitted to new motor. The motor shaft was exactly 0.875", the pulley slightly under size. Strictly speaking I should have had the pulley machined to fit, but the difference was so slight I simply reduced the size of the shaft with j/flex abrasive. The keyways were different sizes too so I had to make up a hybrid with an old key and a bit of careful filing:-

New motor, pulley and mounting plate fitted and ready to test:-

Headstock fully re-assembled:-

Inverter mounted on the wall. It will eventually go in a proper enclosure to protect it from dust, but this will do for now:-

Control box mounted on an mdf support bolted to the motor "foot":-

Job done:-

I am really pleased with the result, I now have eight variable speed ranges and the whole lathe is much smoother and quieter.

WWW 100000772290636  
IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Nova 3000 variable speed conversion
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 11:39am

Nice process flow with photos --

I am sure you and VFD will be a love relationship.

IP Logged

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 2:32pm

The articles mentioned are also here at Woodturners.

And I continue to be very satisfied with the conversion of my Nova 1624.

IP Logged

Walter Hall
WR Noob

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 2:37pm

Thanks for adding the links Steve.  smiley=dankk2.gif I knew they were on here somewhere but I couldn't find them. I am not quite up to speed with the forum software yet. Embarrassed

Thanks for you reply Ken. I have been using it for a while now and am still fine tuning the inverter settings but I think I have just about got it right now. Apart from putting an end to all that belt changing the biggest improvement I find is in the smoothness and quietness of the lathe.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2011 at 2:42pm by Walter Hall »  
WWW 100000772290636  
IP Logged

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 2:39pm

I should have mentioned in my previous reply

Two edits to the conversion article.

I've moved the VFD to a location in rafter above my lathe - too many woodchips were ending up in the cooling fan for the VFD.

And a conversion in England suggested using abrasive cloth on the running motor shaft to downsize it for fit into sheave - less chance of ending up out-of-round.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:23pm

Hi Walter

Great write up.

Would you mind if I added this to our TPT?

IP Logged

Scott Wheeler
WR Supporter

The wood on the wathe
goes wound & wound

Reading PA, Pennsylvania, USA
Reading PA
Pennsylvania
USA

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2011 at 7:40pm

Thanks Walter, Great Write up.

IP Logged

Walter Hall
WR Noob

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 3:41am

Ron Sardo wrote on Mar 8th, 2011 at 6:23pm:
Hi Walter

Great write up.

Would you mind if I added this to our TPT?

I am happy for you to do that Ron. Thanks. If you can include the links to Steve's article that would be good too.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2011 at 3:47am by Walter Hall »  
WWW 100000772290636  
IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:38am

Thanks Walter

Steve's articles are already in out TPT

IP Logged

John Long
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Lutz, Florida, USA
Lutz
Florida
USA

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 9:23am

Converted my Nova 1624 to variable speed from the article I found here at WR and it went very well. The hardest part for me was cutting the key way, it took me three times to get it right. My turning has improved from being able to get the speed just right. When I was looking for a way to covert my Nova 1624 was also when I found WR a double blessing. Thanks to everyone for all the info.

IP Logged

Walter Hall
WR Noob

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 10:12am

Ron Sardo wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 8:38am:
Thanks Walter

Steve's articles are already in out TPT

So they are, silly me. Roll Eyes Embarrassed

WWW 100000772290636  
IP Logged

allen jay thunem

WR Rocks!

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 4:07pm

so now the million dollar question  was it cost effective??

IP Logged

Walter Hall
WR Noob

Reply #12 - Mar 10th, 2011 at 5:39pm

allen jay thunem wrote on Mar 10th, 2011 at 4:07pm:
so now the million dollar question  was it cost effective??

Short answer is yes. The alternative was to buy a new lathe with VS, which would have cost me more than the conversion.

Depends though, on what lathe you are converting and how much a VS alternative would cost. My second lathe is an old Axminster M300 which would cost nearly as much to convert as it would to replace with a Jet JWL-1220VS or similar.

WWW 100000772290636  
IP Logged

Ian Thorn
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2012 at 6:08am

Hi Walter some time ago i allso coverted my nova 3000,the inverter came in a sealed cabnet i have placed 4 small magnets on the back of on off sped control and can place it right by and easy to get at at all times ,just a thought for saftyi dont have to reach past a spining block to change revs
  or stop .You look to have a very tidy set up there  Smileymine cost about $900 nz Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2012 at 6:12am by Ian Thorn »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print