Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

PM3520B
Red Bud wood
Mar 29th, 2011 at 5:06pm

While driving home yesterday, I spotted a newly cut Red Bud tree.  I stopped and picked us a couple of the biggest chunks of the trunk (14 -16" dia.)  I have never turned Red Bud and don't know anyone who has. 

Has anyone out there ever tried to turn this wood?  What is it like?

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Addict

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Re: Red Bud wood
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 6:58pm

I have some small pieces of redbud burl that turn nicely -- medium density and polished well when dry. 

IP Logged

Don  Hammond
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 7:27pm

I turned some red bud last year.  I mostly turned hollow form and vase's.  Very nice wood to turn and had  multiple
colors in wood and bark.  Turn  soon or coat ends because will crack quick.  Take all red bud you can get!

IP Logged

TomTunget
WR Addict

Praise God for creativity!

CaveCreek, AZ, Arizona, USA
CaveCreek, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 7:54pm

I found this info about it on the net. It may not be the same as down in Texas. This info comes from South Carolina so it might be close to what you have.

Redbud

Redbud (also known as the Judas tree) is typically a very small tree.  Larger, older trees are extremely difficult to find, and often contain heavy defects.

The wood is extremely hard, heavy and dense, but turns amazingly well.  The sapwood is typically a bright white color, and the heartwood contains a mixture of reddish-browns, dark greens, and occasionally yellowish orange.

We wouldn't allow garbage to be served on the table,
why would we allow it to be served to our minds?

IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:19pm

Whatever you do, DO NOT PLACE IT UNDER A BLACK LIGHT, or you will start hallucinating. REALLY!!!

See, I told you so. Cheesy Shocked Cheesy Shocked

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register redbud_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register redbud_003.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 1:32am

that one looked like chuck doing a imitation of The Scream Shocked Shocked

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 3:31am

Dave,
Almost it's got no glasses though.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Addict

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 8:10am

Paul,

I will be up almost in Allan on Saturday, if there is any left I would love to know where.

The lots around me have a few trees but they are 3 to 4 inches diameter at the most.

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

Paul Hinds

the Hobbit

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 9:58am

There are some nice redbud turnings shown on my site.

Paul (hobbithouse) Hinds
WOOD ID SITE: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
BOWLS: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
GLOSSARY: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Paul Gilbert

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

PM3520B
Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 10:01pm

I fired up the chain saw and started to cut some blanks from the Red Bud wood that I found and much to my consternation all of the wood had areas of decay.  It seems that people don't cut down decorative trees for the sole benefit of we wood turners! How inconsiderate!

Well, still curious as to how the wood would look and turn I cut a 6 - 7" blank from a crotch and put it on the lathe, NE orientation.  It cuts like Bradford Pear or hard butter.  My blank had some pithy/punky areas which I saturated with thin CA.  The wood before it surface dried is drop dead gorgeous. The surface when dried for a few minutes is a dull brown-grey but that should not persist when dried, sanded and finished. 

A report to follow some months down the road when I finally take the bowl out of the bag and finish it.  It will be interesting to see how punky wood with CA stabilizer will look in a highly figured bowl.   

IP Logged

ken belanus
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 8:03pm

i would suggest turning it wet to rough dimension...i use 1 inch of thickness for a ten inch diameter. i do this with pecan, osage orange and mulberry.

i got a pile of redbud and let it dry. what a mistake! so hard i had to pitch it.

keep in mind that this was OKlahoma redbud and growing conditions make a big difference sometimes.

thanks for starting the thread...i might try some based upon the positive recommendations and experience others have shared.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print