Erika Kendra

WR Rocks!

Lancaster, California, USA
Lancaster
California
USA

Sealing green wood
Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:19pm

Out walking the dogs today and saw a neighbor cutting down a cherry tree.  Got the truck and loaded the back with quite a few nice size logs that I'm sure I'll do something with.

So, this wood is very green... he just cut it down today and one piece still has a branch with a couple of live leaves on it.

Should I seal the ends? Is latex paint adequate for doing this?  I don't have anchorseal, but I have a ton of half-full paint cans from remodeling over the years.  I'd love to find a good use for the paint and not have to spend the money on a special product.

Any other options for sealing?  Does cherry check badly if it goes unsealed?

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Sealing green wood
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:52pm

Yes it will crack badly.
Paint will work, but use mulitple coats.
Anchorseal will work that much better.  Next time to see a sale on it or any of the green wood sealers, get some.  Choice Woods usually has about the best price around other than the large containers directly from AnchorSeal.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 1:18am

Ditto what Doug said. Latex in multiple coats can help, but it's not as effective as a wax sealer like Anchor Seal. Your local turning club might have it available for a cut rate price...I know the Glendale group does. As your weather in the high desert starts to warm up, it'll be more and more important to have them sealed. I've also heard of people (including another desert dweller who's in Palm Springs) storing green wood submerged in water in trash cans or barrels. They add a bit (?) of Clorox to keep the algae at bay, but the wood definitely doesn't dry out.

It's also important to cut the pith out of the logs as soon as possible. (Usually days, not weeks, and especially with fruit woods like cherry.) That's where all the cracking will begin, and once it starts, it's about impossible to stop. I'd be glad to cut them up for you if you feel like schlepping them down here. If you know someone closer to you with a chainsaw, you might be able to barter a few beers for some quality cutting time. Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2011 at 1:19am by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Bernie Weishapl
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Goodland, Kansas, USA
Goodland
Kansas
USA

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 9:24pm

I agree. I have used latex in a pinch and what Vaughn said about cutting them into blanks and sealing the ends as soon as possible is something you want to do. I have used Wally World cheap latex till my anchorseal come in then cut my walnut and cherry into blanks and sealed the ends with the anchorseal.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2011 at 9:25pm by Bernie Weishapl »  

Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things:  a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

IP Logged

Robert Harper
WR Addict

WR doesn't rock, it RULES!

Salt Lake City, UT, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
USA

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 3:22pm

I've used paraffin wax, latex paint, and Anchorseal. Effectiveness, in order from best to worst, Anchoseal, paraffin, latex paint.

Live long, love life, and sail fast. Oh and turn fast too.
WWW Robert Harper rharper@xmission.com  
IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 4:16pm

Woodcraft brand of Anchorseal isn't bad & the price is reasonable.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

ken belanus
WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2011 at 7:32pm

yes, sawing or splitting away the pith is an asap item. if in a hurry you can chainsaw a kerf half way through the log into the pith core so that it will stress relieve and open rather than splitting. at least do this and save a much higher yield of that fine cherry. the best pieces you can then select and rough turn to further enhance your chances of success. enjoy your fine home-made wood at the lathe.

my favorite end grain sealant is old yellow carpenters glue or the white stuff. if it has thickened you can thin it with water.  you can get the white elmer's at walmart after the school year is over for 90% off sticker price. they also almost give it away during school supply time in august. i stock up. there's no advantage in being cheap and using stale glue on a fine furniture project, so this is a great way to use it up.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print