Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peaks valley and a gorge. (Read 829 times)

mark goins

knee deep in shavings

Peaks valley and a gorge.
Apr 8th, 2011 at 9:20pm

I feel safe turning this but I don't know how to get rid of the rings. When I scrap I seem to get deeper, so is there a way of attacking this without blowing the whole thing up?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register DSC_0908.JPG (Attachment deleted)

not so limited by money,space,time or creativity its more my wife. anyone else??

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Re: Peaks valley and a gorge.
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2011 at 9:35pm

Raise the speed up and use a very sharp bowl gouge.  I think you'll find that more speed will solve some of the problems that you are currently having.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 6:44am

Raising the speed is a good suggestion, especially on a piece like yours with the bark inclusion in the middle of the blank.  Increasing the speed is a lot like driving on a washboard road. After a certain speed, the ride smooths out because the tires are just hitting the high spots in the road, Same thing with a turning blank that has voids or other...speeding up the lathe smooths out the ride. 

I'd only suggest increasing the speed of the lathe if you're comfortable with a bowl gouge. If you're still figuring out how to use a bowl gouge, cranking up the speed can be dangerous.

IP Logged

mark goins

knee deep in shavings

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 7:41am

oh the gouge is all i know and is hard for me to switch to any other tools, my two 1/2" bowl gouges one reg and the other finger nail shape not grind or its u and v shaped something like that im going to make an arrow quib to put on my back 4 quick change out of the two  but with the speed i stayed where i was at,  i thought the higher the speed the more the outside(rim) pulled on the inside  but that make sence the higher the speed the less im getting beat by the hole right............ thanks yall for take'n the time

not so limited by money,space,time or creativity its more my wife. anyone else??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print