WR Noob

WR Rocks!

Lodi, OH, Ohio, USA
Lodi, OH
Ohio
USA

Segment Caculator
Apr 16th, 2011 at 12:22pm

The segment caculator is a great tool, thanks. My question is has anyone found a good way to clamp the pieces together while the glue dries? I seem to end up with several clamps and uneven joints.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Jim Killen
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Re: Segment Caculator
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 12:32pm

Hose clamps.

IP Logged

Ron Sardo
WR Administrator
WR Patron

Chief cook and bottle
washer

Drums, Pennsylvania, USA
Drums
Pennsylvania
USA

PM 3520
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 12:39pm

Rubber Bands

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
IP Logged

Glen Perye

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 12:42pm

You can check the big box stores for the larger 6 to 8" dia ones in the plumbing or the heating isles. Used for duct work. For larger work you will need some wax paper and some of the ratcheting tie down straps and a quick link or split key ring for each strap. You replace the large S hooks with the quick link/split key rings thru the sewn loops at the ends. You wrap the waxed paper around the out side of the object to protect the straps from the adhesive. You may need to place a bock of wood below the tightening device!  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Jim Killen
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

NYC, New York, USA
NYC
New York
USA

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 12:50pm

I found hose clamps up to 15" on line, from I think a garden supply outfit..........can't remember. And, Lee Valley sells hose clamp material by the roll, so you can make them any size you want. I haven't bought any in a while, so I don't know if it's still available, but it's worth a look.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 3:58pm

blue painters tape and hose clamps.  remember, you can take 2 or more smaller hose clamps and make larger ones.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

john Taylor
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 7:11pm

Perhaps I'm too cheap or too lazy, but a spanish windlass works just as well and 1/4" manila loops can be made up by the dozens...  I used them a lot when doing clinker-built boats and needed 3 or 5 hands and everyone ran off leaving me with only 2.  Angry

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2011 at 8:31pm

I use Merle clamps.  One clamp and you can clamp octagons.  I guess you could clamp even more with more parts.  Check out   Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Walt
WR Patron

WR Rocks!

Hanford, California, USA
Hanford
California
USA

PM 3520A
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 9:14am

If you are glueing full and half rings together I use rubber bands and hose clamps.  If I'm glueing just segment pairs together then I use a rub fit.  You have to have a perfect fit.  Apply glue, rub together until glue has been squeezed out. let dry.

Walt

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Patron

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Stubby 750
Jet 1014 vs
Bonnie Klein Lathe

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 10:20am

I was taught to use titebond !! and rub fit for individual pieces.  Then scrape surfaces if needed and glue pairs with rub fit until built to 1/2 rings

The nice folks at Lee Valley sell hose clamp materials in 13 foot lengths so you can make hoops of most any reasonable diameter up for about 4 foot.   They come in two widths depending on the clamp pressure you need to use. 

Building patten rings without slippage during clamp-up is where my challenge is currently located.   Stacking rings with precision is down to 2 at a time -- the guy that taught me seemed to be able to do several rings at a time but ham handed Ken finds they want to do a tango and glide all over the place
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2011 at 10:23am by Ken Vaughan »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print