Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shop electrical question (Read 3,704 times)

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Shop electrical question
May 1st, 2011 at 12:03pm

Hope this isn't in the wrong place. I noticed that a thread about shop lighting was moved here, so I decided to start my question here.

My question is, what is the best way to control two circuits with one switch? I'd like to have the vac turn on when the lathe turns on, but have them on separate breakers.

How have others accomplished this?

Could I use a 220 switch, with one 110 circuit switched on each side? Are those switches isolated like that? I'm ok with having both circuits breaker handles tied together, so that if one trips, they both trip.

Would it be possible to use a relay to turn on a second circuit when the first circuit was switched on?

What about something like X10? I know it can be expensive to do a whole caboodle of them, but could I possibly use a couple X10 components to do what I'm trying to do?

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Re: Shop electrical question
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2011 at 4:48pm

I'm not an electrician, but I think using the "220 switch" (a double pole-single throw) could work, but it might not be allowed by the NEC. The X-10 approach would also probably work, but based on my experience with X-10 stuff several years ago, I'm not sure I'd trust it to work 100% of the time. I think the relay approach would be the way I'd go.

Take that all with a big grain of salt, though. I know just enough about line voltage circuits to keep from burning the place down. (Most of the time.)   Wink  I used to do all sorts of non-code wiring back in my traveling band days...only started one fire, and it went out as soon as I ran to the other end of the building and killed the power.   Grin

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2011 at 5:50pm

Circuit breakers are not designed to be used as on off switches in general use.  Why do they have to be on separate circuits?  There are sensor switches that will turn on one side when it senses power flow on the second side.  I've used one like this one from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register with routers and lathe.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2011 at 6:35pm

or go with a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register switch for the shop vac.

if you scroll down, WC has lots of other ideas, including Jim's outlet switch.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2011 at 6:36pm by David Hamann »  

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2011 at 7:53pm

JimQuarles wrote on May 1st, 2011 at 5:50pm:
Circuit breakers are not designed to be used as on off switches in general use.  Why do they have to be on separate circuits?  There are sensor switches that will turn on one side when it senses power flow on the second side.  I've used one like this one from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register with routers and lathe.

He wasn't talking about using the breaker as a switch...just talking about putting the two circuits on separate sides of the breaker, so if one trips, the other one does, too. I suspect he needs the two tools on separate circuits to avoid tripping the current 110v breaker. Wink
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2011 at 7:54pm by Vaughn McMillan »  
IP Logged

Lark Leazar
WR Addict

Hook 'Em!

Conroe, Texas, USA
Conroe
Texas
USA

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2011 at 6:37am

Quote:
I suspect he needs the two tools on separate circuits to avoid tripping the current 110v breaker.

Hmm, I'm REALLY confused now.  MIKE! - Can you clarify?

Delta Midi 46-460

IP Logged

Doug Calvert
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Kent, Wa, Washington, USA
Kent, Wa
Washington
USA

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2011 at 8:30am

Okay, if you really need two tools on two different circuits, the best way to accomplish this is with a 2 pole contactor.  This device will have a control coil which is switched on and off and opens / closes contacts (the circuits you want to control).

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2011 at 4:06pm

Vaughn's got it. Two devices max a single circuit, so they each need their own, but I want them on a single switch.

I like the idea of a remote for the vac.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2011 at 4:28pm

This is the Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register what I use for my shop vac.  I have been using it for 2 1/2 years.  It is a lot less than the ones WC sells for DC units that require a higher amperage switch.

JimQuarles

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2011 at 6:16pm

Can I get two, and set them so that one remote can trigger two switches simultaneously?

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2011 at 6:45pm

They aren't rated high enough to handle a motor.

JimQuarles

IP Logged

Mike Oyama
WR Addict

Happy Holidays WR!

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2011 at 7:43pm

Can I wire a DPST 220v switch with one circuit on each side? Is it hazardous for some reason?

Basically, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, but safer.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2011 at 7:52pm

I wouldn't.  I would just operate the vac from the remote.  Besides, I don't run it every time the lathe is running.  Usually just when sanding.  And the lathe isn't running when I am cleaning up.

JimQuarles

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #13 - May 2nd, 2011 at 11:09pm

Mike Oyama wrote on May 2nd, 2011 at 7:43pm:
Can I wire a DPST 220v switch with one circuit on each side? Is it hazardous for some reason?

Basically, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, but safer.

I believe it would work functionally, but I suspect it'd probably be against all sorts of electrical codes. (Don't know that for certain, though.)

But Jim raises a good point. Do you really want your vac running every time the lathe is on? And vice versa? How about building an auxiliary switch for the vac and mounting it on or near your lathe bench? It could be something like Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, or for just a few bucks you could put together something made from a wall switch, an outlet, and a duplex box.

IP Logged

Guy Bratt
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Richmond, Michigan, USA
Richmond
Michigan
USA

Robust American Beauty
Rikon 70-100
Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2011 at 1:09am

I would suggest a deep, two gang wire mold extension box.  Put 2 spst switches rated at 20 amps each.  A single circuit each.  If it means 220 in the box this is ok.  But please keep it organized for next guy who comes along.  You know...labeling circuits.  Then lathe and vac can easily be controled indepent or togeather.

Old, Fat,n Ugly...I shed 100 pounds this year.  Still old.  Still ugly. But what can you do at this age?
You know? If you knew me you'd see my avatar and I really look a lot alike.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print