Corey Graham

WR Rocks!

Fort McMurray, Alberta, Alberta, Canada
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Alberta
Canada

Corey's Shop
May 26th, 2011 at 3:05am

So since it was such a nice day out and there just happened to be a big dumpster in the driveway, why not clean out the garage? Well not mine since it's at my parents house, but I always do it anyways, I'm really the only one that uses it. lol.

So I started late after dropping the fiance off to work, started at 6:30pm, finished about 10pm. I still have a bit more to do, just buy some hooks and put my tools up on the wall. Time was cut short for a minute, as I reached behind my chopsaw to get a couple big things before I was going to sweep the workbench, I got stung by a bee. That xxxx was hiding in the sawdust somehwere, luckily there was no stinger in my hand. Got me on my left hand right at the base of my thumb, on the inside. darn tender spot. I hope he's not there tomorrow, does anyone know if bees move on once their disturbed? I didn't see a nest or anything, just the one.

So with that out of the way, and lots of cursing and swearing later, I got the workbench cleared off and got the garage sweeped. Here is the before picture:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is the after picture:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

My little section off to the right:

My workbench with the grinder on the far left (not the right one, just a generic one, waiting for mine in the mail), then the drill press, chopsaw, lathe:

My lathe, only a small one for now:

The Bee Demon cave:

Where I keep my stuff for my chuck, some drill bits, my safety glasses. Second picture is of my system I've got now for my pens with the type of pen and the corresponding bushing below:

And my small, miniscule pile of wood, by the way, if anyone knows what type of wood that burl is in the first pic, lemme know:

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Cliff De Witt
WR Devotee

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Re: Corey's Shop
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2011 at 11:23am

Once a bee stings it dies.   

No matter how much pain it gives you, short of anaphalactic shock, it costs the bee more.

I use to have a scorpion that lived under my tablesaw till I got rid of the cutoffs I was storing there.

It looks like you made a great amount of head way in cleaning the garage though, you want to visit Texas?
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011 at 11:23am by Cliff De Witt »  

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2011 at 12:01pm

looking good. smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

if you have a shop vac, you can use it to $uck up that sawdust and hopefully all the bees in it.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2011 at 1:21pm

Looks good now, ya was busy that's for sure. As far as ya "little" friend, if his stinger didn't pull out he's still alive, some bit as well as sting and if you didn't get the nest, he's still around... somewhere, so be careful when your in "his" area!!!

Wizzy

IP Logged

Chuck Beland
WR Champion
Head WR Twit

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2011 at 4:14pm

Very good start.  One suggestion is to add another light fixture on the right side of the other one to add more light.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2011 at 10:15pm

Amazing how a bit of cleanup can make a big difference, huh? It's looking great, Corey.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Alice Heckman

Kearney, Nebraska, USA
Kearney
Nebraska
USA

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2011 at 8:14pm

Good job!  Now to keep it neat (grin).

IP Logged

Corey Graham

WR Rocks!

Fort McMurray, Alberta
Alberta
Canada

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2011 at 7:24am

Thanks for the comments everyone. And as an update the bee is no more. Yay! Although with a lot less junk on the workbench I think it moves a bit now, had some weird things going on the other day. Extra gouges were rocking and I had a weird cut on a couple pieces. I agree with you chuck that I need more lighting, kind of dull in there at the moment. And yes Alice, the hardest part now is keeping it clean.

IP Logged

Ken Ward
WR Noob

I Love WR

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2011 at 11:03am

lookin good there young feller,i claean mine out an in 30 min's its worse than when I started,but oh well thats what makes it fun (I think) Grin

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2011 at 8:15pm

My wife was fussing the other day that I don't clean out my shop nearly enough.  My dad heard her and commented that she should have seen my grand-father's shop.  It had 6-8" of saw dust on the floor, and everything else, all the time.  If anyone asked him about it he would explain that it was so much easier on his back.  Concrete floor kind of made him hurt all over.  Sawdust and savings cushioned it and he could work out there a lot longer with no pain.  So he banned all brooms from the shop.  A fire hazard for sure since he smoked.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Devotee

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - May 31st, 2011 at 1:22pm

My wife has started carving spoons in half of my shop she uses the band saw a lot, the carvings leave chips all over, after two months I took her out and showed her how the vacuum worked, were is is stored, where the remote and the attachments are.

She looked at me and laughed, she said that I do such a good job of cleaning why should she do a Half arsed job.

We may need separate shops.    Sad

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2011 at 1:51pm

You can now apply the precedent she has set to all sorts of household chores that she cares about.

We may be treading into "spousal management" territory!  smiley=shake head.gif
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2011 at 1:52pm by John Lawson »  

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Devotee

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2011 at 2:04pm

John Lawson wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 1:51pm:
You can now apply the precedent she has set to all sorts of household chores that she cares about.

I wish I could find one, She was dieing some fleece last month and the pots are still waiting to be cleaned, when I ask her about it she said I don't need them yet I'll clean them when I need them.

This attitude could be why I do the laundry, cook and clean the kitchen, she got a rumba and a Scuba robots to vacuum the rest of the house and clean the kitchen and bathroom floors, they work darn well too.

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2011 at 2:08pm

Cliff De Witt wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 2:04pm:
[.. she got a rumba and a Scuba robots to vacuum the rest of the house and clean the kitchen and bathroom floors, they work darn well too.

Do they?  I tried to convince my wife to get them when we got the new house here in Texas, but was unsuccessful.  Do you know what happens if they encounter cat vomit?

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Corey Graham

WR Rocks!

Fort McMurray, Alberta
Alberta
Canada

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2011 at 3:14pm

Well I have no idea what they do for cat vomit, I just think it'd run over it. But maybe the Scuba might do it, it's the mop version of the roomba. But the Roomba is just awesome, I love it, Just turn it on and let it go. Never seen the carpet so clean. You think it's clean and then that thing goes along.

IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Devotee

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #15 - May 31st, 2011 at 4:10pm

John Lawson wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 2:08pm:
[quote author=4F60656A6A534869535B6578780C0 link=1306397152/12#12 date=1306868695][Do you know what happens if they encounter cat vomit?

Never had a chance to find out my Rat Terror took care of her cats before we got the robots.  Then the darn dog decided that she likes my wife better than me, will not even look at me twice any more I just do not exist for the dog. Unless I have her food bowl in my hand.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print