WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks, New York, USA
The Adirondacks
New York
USA

John L's shop
Jun 11th, 2011 at 6:47pm

Chuck wanted to see newbie shops, and, since I have no shame, here is mine.  I took all four picture from the same spot, panning from left to right.  There is a table saw behind me.

1 - My Delta LA200 lathe.  I got it for a good price, $220, about a year and a half ago.  You see my face shield hanging in an annoyingly prominent place.  The freezer is to the left.

2 - My workbench.  Needs sweeping.  My turning chisels reside in the drawers, as well as drills and sandpaper.  There is also a shattered inside-out turning to remind myself why I bought a face shield.

3 - Shelves that contain tools.  The tools relevant to turning are the cases with my PSI chuck and Forstner bit.  Oh and the shelf with the lawnmower batteries also has drawbars and my Morse taper collets.

4 - These shelves contain mostly turning-related things.  The plastic food containers contain my centers, Jacob's chuck and Don Pencil buffing gear.  To the right you can see my $25 Grizzly grinder and teeney compressor up top in its box.  The blue car is my daughter's 2007 Honda Fit.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2011 at 6:48pm by John Lawson »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register John_s_shop_1.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register John_s_shop_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register John_s_shop_3.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register John_s_shop_4.jpg (Attachment deleted)

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Re: John L's shop
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 7:16pm

John, looks good.  2 suggestions. 

1.  Do not allow chips to build up around the motor and block the cooling.  The LA-200 has a tendency to run a little hot.  DAMHIKT 

2.  Build a shelf across the braces under the lathe and put a couple of bags of sand on it.  The extra weight will help cut absorb vibration from unbalanced pieces.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 8:00pm

Nice shop.  I think you would find the lighting much better if you paint the walls white.  I painted my garage when it was my shop and it made a world of difference.  Your organization is admirable.  I also did NOT see any gas cans or propane tanks stored in your shop.  Good for you.  One other suggestion make sure you clean out your freezer compressor at least monthly.  I didn't and it the shavings built up and burned up the freezer.  Now just marry off your daughter and look at all the space you will have.  Grin

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 9:01pm

Larry Matchett wrote on Jun 11th, 2011 at 8:00pm:
Nice shop.  I think you would find the lighting much better if you paint the walls white.  I painted my garage when it was my shop and it made a world of difference.  Your organization is admirable.  I also did NOT see any gas cans or propane tanks stored in your shop.  Good for you.  One other suggestion make sure you clean out your freezer compressor at least monthly.  I didn't and it the shavings built up and burned up the freezer.  Now just marry off your daughter and look at all the space you will have.  Grin

Never thought about painting the walls.  I'll run it by my lovely wife. Actually, the freezer still works fine, but is not in use.
There are no gas cans because we have an electric lawnmower, and I vacuum out the cooling fins of the lathe after every use.
As to the daughter, 22 BA in German and Spanish, next year an MA in Linguistics and a certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.  She comes with a car, two pianos, a set of dining room furniture and a complete bedroom suite, including nine bookshelves full of books and eight Rubbermaid containers of stuffed animals.  Any takers?  Send me a PM.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 9:09pm

great shop John.  I second Larry about the white walls, it makes a world of difference. smiley=thumbsup.gif

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 10:11pm

Looks like you've got a good start on things, John. No need to be ashamed of that shop...it has a lathe in it.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

John Lawson wrote on Jun 11th, 2011 at 9:01pm:
...As to the daughter, 22 BA in German and Spanish, next year an MA in Linguistics and a certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.  She comes with a car, two pianos, a set of dining room furniture and a complete bedroom suite, including nine bookshelves full of books and eight Rubbermaid containers of stuffed animals.  Any takers?  Send me a PM.

I'm married, but for future reference, do you have an asking price?  Grin

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 11:15pm

Assume college loans.

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Administrator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 11:42pm

John Lawson wrote on Jun 11th, 2011 at 11:15pm:
Assume college loans.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Chuck Beland
WR Addict

I got my eyes on you.

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 5:05am

John,
Looks good nice organization.

Is that a wall in front of the faceshield? if so why don't you add a hanging tool rack for your lathe tools. Less walking & closer to you. Maybe some overhead 4' fluorescent lights? Jim has a good idea on the shelf with weights.

The dog was created especially for children. He is the God of frolic.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/  
IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 6:37am

In front of the lathe is a wall, but if you look closely you will see the access panel for the water supply manifold, so I can't cover it up.  I have two 4', 2-tube fluorescent fixtures above and a little behind me to the right and left..  There's also a small florescent light and my incandescent worklight.  It all seems bright enough.
Things you don't see are a bandsaw or drill press.  Since we no longer use the freezer, someday I would like to sell it or maybe give it away, and put a bandsaw in its place.
The biggest frustration with this shop arrangement is that I had originally planned to build a 12'x20' shop in the back yard when we bought the house.  My wife and I couldn't agree on size and placement, and then the homeowners' association increased how far an outbuilding had to be from the property line, which mean it would have to sit too close to the house, so the plan was effectively kiboshed.  I even had a design and drawings. *sniff*

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 8:53am

John Lawson wrote on Jun 12th, 2011 at 6:37am:
the homeowners' association increased how far an outbuilding had to be from the property line, which mean it would have to sit too close to the house, so the plan was effectively kiboshed.

That's the down side of living in an area where their is a homeowners' association telling you what you can and can't do on your own property.... My parents lived in an area that didn't allow boat out in the open... if it wouldn't fit in your garage, you had to find someplace else to store it.

Thank goodness I live out in the boonies, I can't see me ever being told what I can and can't have on my property sense its mine to begin with!!! bang head

Wizzy

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 11:40am

John, it looks like you have 2'+ between the access panel and the shelves to the right.  That gives you a pretty good area for tools.

JimQuarles

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 12:58pm

Mike Baber wrote on Jun 12th, 2011 at 8:53am:
That's the down side of living in an area where their is a homeowners' association telling you what you can and can't do on your own property.... My parents lived in an area that didn't allow boat out in the open... if it wouldn't fit in your garage, you had to find someplace else to store it.

Thank goodness I live out in the boonies, I can't see me ever being told what I can and can't have on my property sense its mine to begin with!!! bang head

Do NOT move anywhere in Texas with a homeowners' association.  I could not believe the power they have and the crap they pull when I moved here.  I assumed it was like NJ (where I lived in the boonies), where HOA's have no teeth.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Addict

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 1:11pm

Well John you could always move to my neck of the woods where the definition of Home Owners Association is two folks who own their homes say howdy occasionally. Wink

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Addict

Wombats rule!

The Adirondacks
New York
USA

Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2011 at 1:15pm

Larry,

Once I retire, we can go anywhere, but for now I need my job.  Not sure about Mississippi, though, since I talk like a Yankee.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print