WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM, New Mexico, USA
Albuquerque, NM
New Mexico
USA

This Weekends Projects
Jul 10th, 2011 at 7:54pm

Another day of skew practice, this bottle stopper was made round with the skew then I used my Thompson Tools 3/8 bowl gouge for the shaping. This little piece of Red Bud was spectacular, unfortunately the pic doesn't show it. I need to get the cork yet. This was finished with a bunch of coats of CA then wet sanded, first time doing that, then sanded to 12k with MM and three wheel buffed

This is an experiment I was trying to follow up on the last cherry bowl I made from a 7/4 plank. I'm not real happy with the accent band, have a couple ideas to fix it for the next version. The curve of the inside bowl doesn't match the curve of the outside so have to fix that too. The holly was finished with Deft Satin Wiping Lacquer as it doesn't darken the wood. The cherry was finished with multiple coats of Formby's Tung Oil then three wheel buffed.

Here's a shot of the bottom. It's the second time I've been able to do it, so I know it's not an accident now. Used my homemade vacuum chuck for it.

Thanks for looking. Comments and criticism appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011 at 8:11pm by Nate Davey »  
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Red_Bud_BS.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Joys_Bowl_Topish.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Joys_Bowl_Side.jpg (Attachment deleted)
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Joys_Bowl_Bot.jpg (Attachment deleted)

When you start a project you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".

IP Logged

David Hamann
WR Global Moderator
WR Patron

papadave

Pasco WA, Washington, USA
Pasco WA
Washington
USA

Jet 1014VSI
Re: This Weekends Projects
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:11pm

nice.  not sure about the black band on the bowl though.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Ted Geisel

Be yourself, after all, everyone else is taken.

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:29pm

Nate, your stopper is very nice.  Love the look of the wood and the turquoise fill.  Add the cork and you'll have a real beauty on your hands. 

The bowl has a wonderful outer curve.  It flows so gracefully from top to bottom, or bottom to top depending on how you look at it.  Not so sure I care for such a heavy, shallow bowl though.  I know I was just taught differently and that some folk really like/love the HEAVY stuff.  It's just not my cup of tea.  What I would have liked better would have been for the inner curve to be about twice as deep than it looks to be.  The black doesn't really bother me at all.  But the spalted holly does.  If it was clear holly or even another contrasting wood without the spalting it might appeal to me better.  The clear cherry IMHO seems to call for another clear wood for the insert.  Just thoughts that really only matter to me.  If there is something that you can use on the next one, great.  If not, no worries.  I'm not the turning police and we all know that beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.  Regardless of my design critiques, I think you have done an excellent job with what you did.  The whole thing looks great, well turned, sanded, and finished. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:04am by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Nate Davey
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM, New Mexico, USA
Albuquerque, NM
New Mexico
USA

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 6:41pm

I appreciate your opinion Rev.  Thanks for the candid feed back.  I'll try one with some clear wood for a different look.

When you start a project you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 7:33pm

Looking good, Nate.  smiley=thumbsup.gif The bottle stopper is nicely done, and I like the bowl, too. (I think thick bowls can be cool.) I like the black band, but personally I think I would have left the inner bowl out, and just have the cherry interior to match the cherry exterior. As it is now, you have three points of contrast. To my tastes, two contrasting colors is plenty.

IP Logged

Bernie Weishapl
WR Supporter

WR Rocks!

Goodland, Kansas, USA
Goodland
Kansas
USA

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 10:26pm

Really nice Nate. I like them both and the bottle stopper is really nice.

Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things:  a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 1:44am

They both are nice but I really like the bowl, looks cool, I think you did a great job nate, nicely done. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print