Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Re: 3500 Members!
Reply #15 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 7:14pm

Carrie Bradfield wrote on Jul 25th, 2011 at 6:59pm:
jar of homemade jelly.
Even though I'm not taking part in this trade, I'd take the "home made jam" over some wood anytime... sorry I like to eat especially if its home made!!!! Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Wizzy

IP Logged

Erik Sonntag

Salt Lake City, Utah, Utah, USA
Salt Lake City, Utah
Utah
USA

Reply #16 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 8:18am

Should this be one big piece of wood, and is it limited to native wood in my area or whatever wood I have on hand?

Born to turn, forced to work!

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #17 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 11:30am

It doesn't have to be one piece.  I have received boxes of pen blanks.  It is not the preferred size piece since many of us aren't penturners.  I have also received pieces that were cut to fit the box.

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #18 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 10:45pm

Hey folks,
Let me make some things clear.  In the original post, I was a bit anal and overly specific.  So here are some modifications that I think will make things a bit easier and maybe even more fun.
1.  Use either of the USPO medium sized flat rate boxes.  Either O-FRB1 [11" X 8.5" X 5.5"] or  a O-FRB2 [11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8"] will work fine.  They are both the same price to ship.  BTW, if you purchase your postage and print your label on line, you will save a few cents.  Sorry Chuck, there goes your raise.

2.  Wood can be either a solid piece of multiple pieces.  The point is that you should FILL the box.  If some one else is sending you a full box, it would be less than kosher to send a box less than full.  The FRB2 is about 40 cubic inches larger, but your trade partner might like that shape of wood better. 

3.  I have been asked and like the idea, so I'm going to throw it out and you can take it as an option or you can forget it, your choice.  If you would like to send out 2 boxes (and receive 2 boxes as well), let me know and I'll put your name in the hat twice.  You will then be obligated to fill and send out 2 boxes of wood.  In return you will receive 2 boxes of wood. 

4.  In previous trades, we had some folks who wanted to send and receive the Large boxes.  All find and good, but it basically caused two trades at the same time.  If you want to send a large box, no problem, but I am not going to keep you folks separate.  If you send a large box, you may or may not receive a large box in return.  The only way you might be able to work around this is to speak with your trade partner and make those arrangements.  However, I would ask that you would not try to make them feel obligated to send a large box just because you are.  Some have even packed their boxes already.  I plan to as soon as I get home from vacation. 

5.  If you know the wood you are sending, make sure to mark it with the state it came from and kind of wood it is.  For example, I may send out some cherry, so I'll mark the wood, KY Cherry.  I have some wood that is Dunno wood and if I send it out, I will mark it so.  If the receiver knows what the wood is I would hope they would let me know so that I can label it correctly and let my customers know when I sell a piece of it next time.

I hope these thoughts help you some and take some of the stiffness out of the whole thing.  This trade is meant to be fun and an opportunity to get some wood that you may not get to turn on a regular basis.  I'm hoping I get one of those folks out in the AZ desert.  They have come pretty cool wood that is different than what I have in KY.  Then again, so do the folks in CA and WA and UT and ...  Not able to look at my list right now, but I can tell you that the group is spread out all over at this point. 

Only a few more days to toss your name into the hat.  Don't be left out of this opportunity to possibly get some wood that you don't normally get to turn.  It's Christmas in July.  Thank goodness it's not as cold either.  Get your name and address in to me asap so you won't be left out in the cold with no wood to turn or burn.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

TomTunget
WR Addict

Praise God for creativity!

Scottsdale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Scottsdale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 11:51am

I'm in.

Doug, I'll PM you with my address in case you don't have it still.

Jim, thanks for the knock on the head about the trade!

We wouldn't allow garbage to be served on the table,
why would we allow it to be served to our minds?
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #20 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:42pm

Thank you Tom
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY.  Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens.  Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #21 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 1:28pm

PARTICIPANTS

Doug Miller          x2
Jim Quarles
Kevin Stanbary
Harold Goodman x2
Cliff de Witt
Erika Kendra
Stan McKinnon
John Long
Bill Schoppert
Zack Morgan
Mike Stephens
Allen Thunem
Roger Smith
Buck Nemitt
Scott Gates
Carrie Bradfield
Erik Sonntag      x2
Tom Tunget
Kathy Marshall
David Seaba       x2
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2011 at 10:01am by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #22 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 1:37pm

I see 19 names on the list.  A couple of those would like to send/receive 2.  What about you?  Would you like to be included in this list of traders?  Would you like to send and receive 2 boxes?  Time is running out.  Get your name and mailing address in to me via PM ASAP.  Dead line is Saturday night @ midnight.  After that and sorry bout that, but you'll be out of luck.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

david seaba
WR Patron

Semper Fi !

Broken Arrow,Ok, Oklahoma, USA
Broken Arrow,Ok
Oklahoma
USA

Reply #23 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 6:16pm

I'm in I will do two box's pm is beeing sent!

Custom Duck calls,Deer Grunt etc. Stave Vessels, Bowls, Pens  Antler and Wood
WWW David Seaba  
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #24 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 9:55am

Thanks, David.  You tie us up for the largest number of participants. 

Come on folks.  Let's set a new record for the greatest number of participants in a wood trade.  You have 14 hours to get your name, address, any wood allergies, and if you are going to send 1 or 2 boxes out.  Of course, if you send out 2 you will get 2.  Several have indicated that they want to exchange 2 boxes. 

This is a great way to get some wood that you may not have turned before.  Or maybe it's been a long time since you came across any.  You may have an over abundance of some wood in your shop.  This is 1 good way to move some of it out. 

Let's get busy folks.  Get your information in to me ASAP!  Let's do some tradin'!

If you have sent me your information, please check the list above and make sure your name is on it.  If not, check with me asap about that as well.  I wouldn't want to leave anyone out because of my poor clerical skills.  Thanks.
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2011 at 9:57am by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #25 - Jul 30th, 2011 at 11:24pm

25 MINUTES TO GO!  GET YOUR INFORMATION IN NOW!

CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #26 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 7:58am

What a trade this has become.  I'm so excited about it.  Not only has WR reached an important milestone, but with 4 people doubling up, we have 24 boxes of wood being exchanged.  In effect we have 24 participants.  Anyway, there are more boxes going and coming than ever before. 

And the partners are:

Doug Miller     Stan McKinnon
Doug Miller     John Long
Jim Quarles     Bill Schoppert
Erik Sonntag     Zack Morgan
Erik Sonntag     Mike Stephens
Kevin Stanbary     Allen Thunem
Harold Goodman     Roger Smith
Harold Goodman     Buck Nemitt
Cliff de Witt     Scott Gates
David Seaba     Carrie Bradfield
David Seaba     Tom Tunget
Erika Kendra     Kathy Marshall

Everyone should see their name at least once.  Those whose name appears twice asked to be entered twice.  Half the names were randomized twice.  The other half were randomized 6 times.  No allergies were reported so there were no adjustments made.  If your boxes aren't already packed, you need to get them packed in the next couple of days.  All boxes need to be in the mail by Friday, August 5.  I'll send out PM's with addresses this afternoon.  If you don't get a PM by 6:00 tonight with your partner's addy, let me know so I can make adjustments.  You can PM your trade partner if you like, but surprises are good too. 

Don't forget to post when you send, when and what you receive.  If you remember, it might even be fun to post what you made from it, but that could be a while in the waiting.  Thanks for playing.  It's because of folks like you that WR is the greatest woodturning resource on the web.

Happy trading,
CoolRev. Doug Miller
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2011 at 8:06am by Rev. Doug Miller »  

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #27 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 1:29pm

By now, everyone should have received a PM from me with the name and address of your trade partner(s).  PLEASE, double check the name in the PM against the name in the post above.  MAKE SURE THEY MATCH.  This is a difficult task in the best of conditions and I'm trying to do it after a week of vacation and then coming back and preaching this morning.  My brain is cooked.  If I have made a mistake please let me know in a PM asap so that I can make the corrections. 

The most important thing is HAVE FUN!  This is for you.  So, let me know if there is anything problem that you run into along the way.  Just our way of helping to make Woodturners Resource the best turning site on the web.

CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #28 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 1:48pm

OK, I've done it again

Sorry about all this confusion.  Forget all those PM's I've sent.  Go with the list 2 posts down.  Contact the person you are paired with and get their mailing address.  If you have a problem getting in touch with them, ask me and I will give you their address.  Does that make sense?  I hope so.  I told you all I am brain dead.  Apparently I've just proved it.  Can't even keep the lines straight.

Again, I am sorry for confusing the issue.
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #29 - Jul 31st, 2011 at 2:02pm

For anyone shipping wood to the HOT parts of the country,  If you used AnchorSeal or wax on it, be sure to pack it in a plastic bag.  For some reason, the PO gets suspicious about boxes leaking wax. 

JimQ

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print