Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Web Site - Smoking Pipes (Read 3,982 times)

Todd Harris

Ashland, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Ashland, Ohio
Ohio
USA

New Web Site - Smoking Pipes
Aug 17th, 2011 at 5:00am

All,

I hope I'm not breaking the rules here, but I wanted to let everyone know that I now have a web site to show some of the pipes that I have for sale. 

I'm posting on this forum partially because a lot of my turning skills have been honed and improved by the information that I have received on this forum.  So, mostly, I just want to show off my work and thank you guys for all of your help.

Well, here is a link to my web site.  It is my first one, so I would love to hear what you guys think about it.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Thanks,

Todd

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Re: New Web Site - Smoking Pipes
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:51am

Todd,

I really like the site.  Your pipes look great.

The one thing I did notice is in the pictures by using a towel like back drop the texture of the background seems to compete with the beautiful grain of the woods.   A picky point, I know, but one that did stand out in my mind.

Other than that I would say three thumbs up.  smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif smiley=thumbsup.gif

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Todd Harris

Ashland, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Ashland, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:10am

Thanks Len.  That is good feedback.

Todd

IP Logged

john Taylor
WR Addict

WR Rocks!

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:26am

You might want to put in a paragraph or two explaining the qualities of the woods being used.  For instance,  Algerian briar is very light so it's easy on the teeth.  Grecian briar is heavier, but is a great heat sink for a cool smoke.  And yada yada...  Play up the unique qualities and rarity of the woods being used.  The customer wants something "special" to talk about.  Otherwise, they're stuck with a drug store pipe or a corncob with a hole in it.

If I buy something special, I want to know WHY it's special...

Good looking site. smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Andy Kurek

Go Pack Go!

Spring Green, WI, Wisconsin, USA
Spring Green, WI
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 2:12pm

Very nice looking pipes.  I have made a few in the past, but nothing as nice as those.  Thanks for posting.-Andy

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.-Wyatt Earp

IP Logged

allen jay thunem

WR Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 6:26pm

aint nothing wrong with corncob:) some of the best smokers out there still

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 4:12am

Beautiful pipes, and a good start on the website. I agree with Len's suggestion about the photo backdrop. A lot of folks (including me) use flexible Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register available from photo supply places. Another less expensive route is to print a gradient pattern on a piece of paper. It handier if it's a big sheet of paper, but Kinko's has oversized printers that can do it. It's not as durable, but it's a lot less money.

Here's a Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register that's ready for printing. Be warned it's moderately large at 1,728 pixels × 2,592 pixels and about 500 KB. You can right-click the image that's displayed and save it to your computer.

If you're planning to make a commercial endeavor out of your site, another suggestion would be to switch from one of the free plans to a 'premium' plan so your potential customers aren't seeing ads trying to get them to sign up and create their own free website. Wix is a cool and handy way to make a website, but it doesn't really put a professional look on things. Like I said though, I'd only worry about that aspect if you're trying to go commercial.

And to reiterate, great start and awesome pipes.  smiley=thumbsup.gif

IP Logged

Todd Harris

Ashland, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Ashland, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2011 at 4:35am

Guys, these are all great ideas.  Thank you.

I'm beginning to figure out that there's a lot more to putting up a successful web site than taking some pretty pictures and posting them on the Internet.  I went with the Wix thing because it was free and easy.  Unfortunately it is also based on flash, so potential customers with mobile devices can't see it.

Can anyone recommend a non-flash based provider that I can use to make a better web page?

Thanks,

Todd

IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque, USA
Albuquerque
USA

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 4:54am

Todd, it's not free, but there are several web hosting companies that offer hosting plans for very low prices (about $6.00 per month) with all the space you could ever use. I use Bluehost for a number of sites that I run or maintain, although GoDaddy also has comparable prices. Once you have a hosting plan, you can either use the free website-building tools the hosting company offers, or use another free site authoring program like WordPress. Even though WordPress is primarily intended to be uses for making blogs, it can also be set up to create a more standard-looking website. The caveat is that it's pretty complicated to someone who's not real familiar with computers and website building. I'm kind of an intermediate-level web developer...not real good but I can usually find my way around through trial and error. I was able to create a website with WordPress for my sister's Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, but if you're not familiar with website building, it might not be the best solution.

IP Logged

Todd Harris

Ashland, Ohio, Ohio, USA
Ashland, Ohio
Ohio
USA

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 5:18am

Vaughn,

That's a nice looking web site you put together.

I guess I need to buy a book and start learning some web design.

Thanks for your help.

Todd

IP Logged

Cliff De Witt
WR Addict

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 4:32pm

Vaughn,

I guess I am a Geek I saw the tab marked Bios. and couldn't figure why a web site would have a BIOS (Basic Input Output System)  bang head

Very nice site though.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2011 at 4:32pm by Cliff De Witt »  

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

Julien Robin

Buying tools is an important
part of a health diet

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 7:34pm

Very nice pipes, and fair prices too. My only real issue with the site is that i'm partially colorblind (don't see blue's/greens very well), so I assume the text is written in blue on blue cause i can't figure out what it says.... Maybe try black text?
Very nice none the less,
Cheers,

IP Logged

Len Layman
WR Addict

What have I got into??

Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands

PM 3520b
Jet 1220
Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 7:53pm

Julien Robin wrote on Aug 28th, 2011 at 7:34pm:
don't see blue's/greens very well

Julien,  I never thought of that.  do you have a problem with black print on a blue or green background?  It is amazing the things we take for granted. In ever considered common color blindness in my websites. 
Thanks for pointing it out.

Len

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."   MLK
IP Logged

Mike Baber
WR Addict
WR Supporter

When all else fails, ask
someone who knows!

Cross Hill, South Carolina, USA
Cross Hill
South Carolina
USA

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 8:00pm

Nice sight Todd and some beautiful pipes, your sight looks good but like the others, I believe a different background on your pictures would look alot nicer. smiley=thumbsup.gif

Wizzy

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Addict
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 8:13pm

When text is unreadable, sometimes selecting it as if to copy will make it readable.  Light blue on dark blue becomes black on white.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print