WR Supporter

Turning Designer Firewood

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Weekend Art Shows
Dec 5th, 2011 at 8:43am

Did a small show on Saturday. I usually do pretty good at this one, but it was cold and rainy. A real disappointing day.

Yesterday, my wife and I walked around the Tempe Festival of the Arts. all day. Saw some amazing stuff, but when it came to turners, I really wasn't that impressed. Tempe is one of the largest art fairs in the Southwest, and the turners were just OK. There were a few OK, but nothing outstanding to the caliber I would expect from a show like that. There were even a few that were bad.

On one hand, it gave me hope for my work. On the other hand, I thought it gave turning a bad rap to have sub-standard work displayed in a fewtival like that.

WWW Dale Gillaspy gd5043  
IP Logged

Register To Remove Ads
Cliff De Witt
WR Devotee

DeSoto, TX, Texas, USA
DeSoto, TX
Texas
USA

Re: Weekend Art Shows
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 9:12am

I quit looking at turned stuff at local shows, one of the biggest juried shows here in Richardson. I checked out the bowls at the two turners there and went home and took a bunch out of my burn box because I had a better transformation from side to bottom than they did.

A $150.00 bowl with a ridge at the transfer point and tool marks. Don't get me wrong the wood was wonderful, the grain was incredible and the finish was fantastic, but the technique and tool control was  awful.

One of my biggest fears is that my widow will sell all my toys based on what I told her I paid for them.

Matthew 25:45

IP Logged

Rev. Doug Miller
WR Addict

Working flat so I can
support my addiction.

Hardinsburg, KY, Kentucky, USA
Hardinsburg, KY
Kentucky
USA

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 8:31pm

Goes to show you, and us, that if we see work that is not up to our standards, we need to be out there marketing our own stuff to the same public.  I'm in a tough spot in that I cannot do Sundays at all.  Few shows want you to cut out early.  I keep thinking that I'm going to get going at the Saturday only shows.  I just can't seem to get my ducks in a row.  One of these days.  In the mean time I try to encourage those folks and give them advice without sounding haughty. 
CoolRev. Doug Miller

Mentor, Hardinsburg, KY. Basics, bowls, platters, hollow forms, pens. Send PM for more information or make reservation

Ears Are The Most
Important Tools For
Communication
WWW cmdmiller Doug Miller  
IP Logged

Leo Frilot
WR Addict

When the going gets tough,
get a bigger gouge!!!

Baton Rouge, LA, Louisiana, USA
Baton Rouge, LA
Louisiana
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:00pm

That description is why I think the whole ZAPP application process is unfair. You submit photos of your work to be juried into shows, but who says these folks submit photos of their own work? ZAPP has taken away from the quality aspect of art work, and not just wood. It's a game of "who has the best photos"?
On the other hand, the small shows allow everything in, and pretty soon it becomes "Ribbon and Bow Depot". I went to a show and counted 12 vendors selling hair bows and ribbons; there were only 30 booths!

Don't get me started.  smiley=shake head.gif <Rant over>
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2011 at 7:01pm by Leo Frilot »  

Live for today, plan for tomorrow, but have fun regardless!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW Leo.Frilot  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print