Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  Featured Artist    Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   Event Calendar   Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Richard Joyner back-plate jig (Read 662 times)

Paul Gilbert
WR Supporter

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

Richard Joyner back-plate jig
Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:20pm

At SWAT last summer I saw some little ducks that had been turned by whoever was selling the Richard Joyner back plate jig. At the Dallas Area Woodturners banquet a set of those ducks was sold at auction for $80. My wife wanted me to bid on those, but I told her that the jig to make them was less than a hundred bucks and I could buy the jig and make a set for all the grand kids.

I just bought the jig, now I need to figure out how to turn them. I have looked for tutorials on the web but can't come up with anything other than making pendants. Does anyone know where to find a tutorial for turning ducks on that jig, or can anyone walk me through the process?

As an aside - this is the first time in 45 years of marriage that SHMBO told me to go buy a tool!!

Thanks
Paul Gilbert

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Re: Richard Joyner back-plate jig
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:40pm

Paul,

There was a demo of this at Golden Triangle Woodturners by John Solberg, and I know he's also demoed it a Woodturners of North Texas meeting. I can't get at the site from work to see if there is a handout posted, but you could take a look for yourself. The ducks are a project from a Mike Darlow book that John adapted to the Joyner chuck.
« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:41pm by John Lawson »  

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Steve Harder

WR Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 11:59am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register gets you some info, other links on that sites to pics.

IP Logged

Paul Gilbert
WR Supporter

Turned by Paul

Allen, TX, Texas, USA
Allen, TX
Texas
USA

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:19am

It seems that I jumped the gun on this one. I got so rattled when SHMBO suggested that I buy a tool, I just couldn't wate to do so.

It turns out that John Solberg lives close by and when I finally got in contact with him, he does not use the Joyner jig, but rather the Shapeshifter chuck. That one won't fit my lathe and is currently out of stock at Pen State so I am left to either make my Joyner work, or make some dedicated off center face plates.

Pics of my final products will be forthcoming.

IP Logged

John Lawson
WR Supporter

Wombats rule!

Denton, Texas, USA
Denton
Texas
USA

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 10:38am

Dang!  You're right, it was the Shapshifter, not the Joyner, John was using.  Sorry for the misinformation.

Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print