Woodturner's Resource
Woodturner's Resource  
  • Featured Artist    • Websites   Support Wr
Tutorials, Projects & Tips   • Event Calendar   • Tool and Book Store
  Home Page Forum HelpSearch Map TPT Resources LoginRegister

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacement Jet Center Points/Cones (Read 937 times)

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA, Georgia, USA
Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Replacement Jet Center Points/Cones
Jan 23rd, 2012 at 1:02pm

Anyone know where get replacement center points and cones for the Jet 1642 live center?  I see replacements for the Oneway from Craft Supplies - are the interchangeable?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

Albuquerque and Los Angeles, USA
Albuquerque and Los Angeles
USA

Re: Replacement Jet Center Points/Cones
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 1:23pm

Can't speak for the Jet, but I know the Oneway live center parts will fit on the Powermatic live center. Since the Jet and Powermatic tools share a common bloodline, I suspect the Oneway parts will work on the Jet, too. But that's just conjecture...I don't have any firsthand experience with the Jet centers.

IP Logged

JimQuarles
WR Administrator
WR Patron

WR Rocks, BIG Time!

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 1:38pm

If you are talking about the little inner point, Jet sells Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register for $5.75.  Look in your manual at the parts diagram and search for the part number of any others you need.

Mentor Basics, Pens, small stuff, Acrylics, EasyRougher.
Just Turnin' Around!  Glendale, AZ  Cool Cool

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

IP Logged

Dale Gillaspy
WR Supporter

Turning Designer Firewood

Glendale, AZ, Arizona, USA
Glendale, AZ
Arizona
USA

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 3:21pm

I believe they are the same.

WWW Dale Gillaspy gd5043  
IP Logged

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 10:00am

Thanks, Guys.

In comparing the Oneway from Craft supplies, vs OEM from the Jet/Wilton parts site, Craft supplies was cheaper (was a suprise to me).  I placed the order from CS.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2012 at 9:41pm

The oneway cone does NOT fit on the Jet live center.  The debth of the threads are different.  I have both.  Interestingly the jet fits on the oneway.  If I were you I would cancel the order and order the entire oneway live center.  Much better live center and the large cone is a real plus.

Sorry I did not get to you before you placed your order.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2012 at 5:49pm

I think the points in the center is a MT1 taper on the Jet, Powermatic, and Oneway. 

If perchance they do not work, let me know as I need some points for the oneway live center and will take them off your hands.

The Cones that thread on the outside on the 3/4 by 10 thread have not always been reliably enterchangable -   But I think from your message you are looking at the sharp little point with the MT1 taper.

IP Logged

Grant Schoonover

Go Hokies!

Cumming, GA
Georgia
USA

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:15am

The shipment is on it's way.  I'll let you know, Ken.  I'm primarily interested in the points, but ordered a cone as well to piggyback on the shipping charges.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 2:44am

Grant - 

If the cones need some help, I found 3/4 by 10 taps for a nominal sum at the NAPA store -- about half of what the hardware store wanted. 

The taps are handy to tap wood and plastics like high molecular density polyethylene and make special shapes on the end of the live center.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

USA

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 6:21pm

Ken Vaughan wrote on Jan 25th, 2012 at 5:49pm:
I think the points in the center is a MT1 taper on the Jet, Powermatic, and Oneway...

I believe that's incorrect. I have a little mini lathe with a #1 MT on the spindle and tailstock, and it's a lot bigger than the removable point inside my Oneway and Powermatic live centers.

IP Logged

Larry Matchett
WR Supporter

Be One with your Tool!

Gulf Coast, Mississippi, Mississippi, USA
Gulf Coast, Mississippi
Mississippi
USA

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2012 at 8:00pm

I didn/t know the point in the jet live center was removable.  The point on the oneway is not MT1 taper.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 11:17am

Chuck --  The point is that the taper (change in diameter with length) extends down until the two sides form a point.   The length of the taper section can vary depending on the application.  My old MT1 lathe (and the reamer I used) were not tiny.

Larry -  I do not have the the reference to the taper used on the one way handy.  I may have measured it -  but the points (pen turners point and the fine point) are tapered and memory is that it follows the MT1 specs for change of diameter with length.  I have a meeting this morning but will dig this afternoon.

IP Logged

Vaughn McMillan
WR Addict

Does this nose make me
look fat?

USA

Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 12:23pm

Ken Vaughan wrote on Jan 28th, 2012 at 11:17am:
Chuck --  The point is that the taper (change in diameter with length) extends down until the two sides form a point.   The length of the taper section can vary depending on the application.  My old MT1 lathe (and the reamer I used) were not tiny.

Larry -  I do not have the the reference to the taper used on the one way handy.  I may have measured it -  but the points (pen turners point and the fine point) are tapered and memory is that it follows the MT1 specs for change of diameter with length.  I have a meeting this morning but will dig this afternoon.   

As I understand this chart, the length of a MT1 is limited to 65.5 mm, which would preclude it from tapering to a point.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Jeff Vanden Boogart
WR Champion

WR Rocks!

Rural Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Rural Green Bay
Wisconsin
USA

Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2012 at 4:55pm

Correct, Ken.  Length and dia. are standardized.  There are some special applications, as in metal lathe spindle reducing sleeves...those may be a "short Morse taper", but I'm not positive on the name.  The tapered center points mentioned also, due to not wanting a full length taper, but again a special application that wouldn't normally apply to a MT spindle.  The taper angle is different on each one also.  You couldn't make a foot long tapered shaft, cut it in sections, and end up with a #0, #1, #2, #3 taper.

IP Logged

Ken Vaughan
WR Moderator

Still learning

Juneau, Alaska, USA
Juneau
Alaska
USA

Reply #14 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 11:20am

After my meeting yesterday I did some digging and note a couple of things.

1.  We tend to abbreviate the industrial standard for interchangable tooling sockets and inserts as being the labled with the MT numbers -- The need for standardization and interchangable, apparently from the Morse Drill Company did establish the rate of change of diameter over length.  That is the tapered socket/insert standard is not the same as the rate of change of diameter, but they are related.   

The difference is between an industrial standard interchangable tooling set that allows efficient machine processes  -- and not-standard parts and processes that use different lengths, or diameters but have the same rate of change in diameter with length. 

There are quite a few "non industrial standard" tapers and lengths of tooling.  Short taper lengths are pretty common with the Nova Live Center being the shortest MT2 taper I have used.  These do use a rate of change of diameter that matches that used in the industrial standard tooling.   Note that the taper per foot for the Morse tapers is similar but different with numbers
MT0 -- 0.6246 inch/ foot
MT1 -- 0.5986 inch/ foot
MT2 -- 0.5994 inch/ foot

2.  I have been unable to locate the original reference to the OneWay live center taper.  Memory search is that it was in the paperwork with a live center a long time ago, and that paper appears to have gone with a file purge a few years ago.   Current literature cites the points being tapered, but does not reference a standard.

David Reed Smith in one of his articles discusses the points and notes that older One Way live centers use the same taper as was used for tapred pins from the hardware store.  He notes that the newer ones are MT0 tapers. 

I noted that the reamer that Ron referenced was visually a lot longer than a standard interchangable taper specs.   That is probably handy and will look to get one.

I am getting ready to travel to meetings and then back to Tucson for several weeks and likely will not get the micrometers out to measure OneWay tips. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print